I've downloaded SketchUp, but...

Want to design your own teardrop or tiny travel trailer. You can do that in 2D or 3D. We keep our secrets in here!

I've downloaded SketchUp, but...

Postby Dean in Eureka, CA » Sat Jun 27, 2009 8:12 pm

First let me set the stage...
We've got an awesome plasma cutter at work that can cut shapes from dxf or dwg files.
Not knowing how to use CAD, I did up a drafting type drawing of my art deco fenders to take in and be converted to CAD and then have my parts cut out on the plasma cutter.
We are pretty busy at work and after waiting two weeks with no progress on getting my drawing converted, I asked if having a CAD file would speed up the process... YES!!!
I've been working with a third party at work, not involved with the plasma cutter, to get my CAD file completed.
It was explained to me that all I had to do was to furnish a given reference point and then list how far up and far far over for all the given points on my drawings... COOL!!! Basic addition and subtraction, right?
Well... I just called my friend (The third party) and he tells me he's unable to help me.
So I figure I gotta try to do the actual CAD file myself.
I downloaded SketchUp 7...
Well, I ran into troubles right out of the gate... I can't figure out how to draw a quarter circle... Only a whole or half circle.
Anybody know how?
Dean in Eureka, CA
The Fogcrawler

Postby tinksdad » Sat Jun 27, 2009 8:28 pm

I usually make a square the same size as the diameter of the circle I need a quadrant of with the midpoint lines drawn in. Put in a full circle with the center where the midpoints cross. And then just erase everything I don't need. If you're not starting/ending the quarter circle at 12, 3, 6 or 9 o'clock; that's where the protractor tool comes into play.

If you can make that pretty ball shaped thing, I'm sure you can figure out my less than adequate directions.
tinksdad
500 Club

Postby Dean in Eureka, CA » Sat Jun 27, 2009 8:51 pm

That's what I tried first, but every time I try to erase the parts of the line I don't want, it erases the whole entire arc.
I just watched a video on arcs and I noticed you can draw a quarter circle by placing the end points on lines that are drawn at a 90 degree angle, but the arc attaches itself to the 90 degree lines as if it's only purpose is to show that the angle is a 90 degree angle.
After spending three days writing a novel of how far ups and how far overs for my friend, I'm already feeling a bit perplexed right out of the gate on this one... :?

Getting ready to bag it. :oops:
Dean in Eureka, CA
The Fogcrawler

Postby tinksdad » Sat Jun 27, 2009 9:25 pm

Now I gotta go play with it to see if I can re-create what you are describing. I never watched the tutorial videos, so I've probably been doing it wrong all this time!!!
tinksdad
500 Club

Postby Dean in Eureka, CA » Sat Jun 27, 2009 9:56 pm

OK, I got it figured out, when in entity info of the arc, there is an option to divide it... :oops:
Now I just gotta figure out how to make my lines straight (Not saw toothed or staggered) and how to make the arcs look like true quarter circles instead of whacked out elipses. (Even when it says my radius and arc length are correct) :?
Dean in Eureka, CA
The Fogcrawler

Postby Dean in Eureka, CA » Sat Jun 27, 2009 11:53 pm

Is SketchUp kinda Buggy?...
I'm ready to bag it using this program.
Line lengths mysteriously change by themselves as well as arcs and arc points. :?
Dean in Eureka, CA
The Fogcrawler

Postby tinksdad » Sun Jun 28, 2009 6:33 am

I've been using Sketchup since the very first version was released, so that's a hard question for me to answer. Probably no more so than any other software being released nowadays. I know it's not a true CAD program, it is what it is after all. It's just been easier for me to learn than some of the CAD software I have tried.
tinksdad
500 Club

Postby Dean in Eureka, CA » Sun Jun 28, 2009 1:47 pm

I'm sure using it as long as you have helps a lot.
Well... I gave up on trying to use it for the fenders.
This is the best I can do using two funky programs I have...

The 16 ga. wrappers (Not shown) won't be cut with the plasma, they just get sheered, rolled and tigged to the two plates. The outer mounting plate gets set inboard a bit from the wrapper edge.
The removable cover gets dyed epoxied plywood skin and maple trim laminated to it.
Also not shown is the rear inner fender well, which will give me a small storage compartment at two of the feathers. Access door will be on top wrapper. '49 Ford tailights get tunneled into the upper rear feather as well.
I'm gonna hand these drawing off tomorrow morning and just wait 'til the parts are cut... Will post pics after tigging everything together.
Yes... The lower feather is faux. Originally, the design was for my first build and the fenders were much longer. I liked the look, so I scrunched it down to fit my current build.
Any CAD people out there wanna play with this, by all means.
Dean in Eureka, CA
The Fogcrawler

Postby Carter » Sun Aug 16, 2009 2:38 am

Dean,
Did you get this done, If not I can help

Jim
I need a new Avatar. I'd put my dog up there but she doesn't look much like me. She's the skinny one.
Carter
Gold Donating Member

Postby Dean in Eureka, CA » Sun Aug 30, 2009 11:23 pm

Jim,
Thanks for the offer, but yes... The CAD stuff was done by Andrew and I had the pieces cut out at work.
I'm waiting on a new shipment of stainless to sheer the other parts and complete the fenders.
I just finished developing my patterns for the tunneled tail light mounts... got it mocked up in 26 ga. galvy.
These two pics don't really show much, but when I get these tunneled mounts fabbed up in 16 ga. stainless, I think these are gonn be some pretty nice fenders...
Dean in Eureka, CA
The Fogcrawler

Return to CAD secrets