What program are you using mikeschn?

Want to design your own teardrop or tiny travel trailer. You can do that in 2D or 3D. We keep our secrets in here!

What program are you using mikeschn?

Postby starleen2 » Wed Aug 05, 2009 9:20 pm

OK Mike, time to come clean! Just what program are you using to create these life like renderings – they are just spectacular inquiring minds want to know
We may not be able to afford it but at least we can drool
starleen2
5th Teardrop Club

Postby mikeschn » Thu Aug 06, 2009 3:08 am

For the photos you have shown I used Hypershot and Vue. For the ones you don't have shown, I also use Carrara.

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby ARKPAT » Thu Aug 06, 2009 8:25 pm

I was wonder the same thing for several years just did not ask. :oops:

The price is not that bad. :applause:

:thumbsup:

Pat
Life is to short always eat dessert first.
ARKPAT
1000 Club
1000 Club

You are amazing with these!

Postby jabber35 » Mon Oct 12, 2009 1:25 pm

Do you do these for fun or is this your profession? I would love to learn! Where do I begin? Would sketchup be sufficient. I wish there was some type of comparison chart that was a guide to CAD programs. Know of any? :R
jabber35
Teardrop Builder

Postby mikeschn » Mon Oct 12, 2009 6:13 pm

I do CAD work professionally. I do rendering for fun.

Many CAD packages have a very steep learning curve. Then to add insult to injury, they are very expensive.

Most people just need to lay out some curves in 2D to get an idea of what they want to build. QCAD is perfect for that. And it's cheap, or free depending on which version you pick.

http://www.qcad.org/qcad.html

A lot of people like Sketch-UP. I've never learn it, so I can't say much about it. But it seems to to modeling okay. On their website they say sketch up is NOT a CAD package. So what is it, I wonder!!!

If I had to recommend a solid modeling package to someone who was just starting out, and didn't want to spend a lot of money, I would suggest ViaCAD. It has a lot of horsepower, it's easy to learn, and it's affordable.

http://www.punchcad.com/products/viacad2d3d.htm

Let us know what you decide to do!

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

SketchUP

Postby danlott » Mon Oct 12, 2009 11:17 pm

I would agree with Google that SketchUp is not a CAD program. I have used AutoCad and SketchUp both, they are nothing alike.

AutoCad has a fairly high learning curve to do good work, I have not did any real 3D work with it, but I am sure that is even more of a learning curve.

SketchUp has alot quicker learning curve and the 3D modeling is pretty easy. At first I did not believe SketchUp was very accurate, but with time I have learned that is very accurate. You will never be able to produce line drawings like you can with AutoCad, I guess this is probably why they claim not to be a CAD program. You can produce 3D models with very little time invested in learning the program. As you learn more you can fine tune your model. One of the biggest benifits is for people who have a hard time visualizing something in 3D from a 2D drawing. SketchUp makes this easier.

Dan
Hoplite Traveler Build thread
Image Image
Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans.
danlott
Donating Member

Postby jabber35 » Fri Oct 16, 2009 2:51 am

Mike (and the possie)...
the way I came upon the teardrop forum/craze was that I was looking for a hobby for which I could possibly get paid something. You see, as an independent insurance adjuster, I have a lot of unexpected, boring, unpaid free time. My job is the opitome of feast or famine. I needed a sideline job that was enjoyable as well as marketable. I really enjoy working with CAD. Prior to becoming an insurance adjuster I was a general contractor/designer/builder. I did my own CAD work with Softplan. However, softplan is primarily a residential/light commercial CAD package. My interests are varied and I would love to learn something new. I understand that SolidWorks is the bomb and I'm not opposed to making the investment however if $99 will get me there much quicker (and give me something that is exportable into SolidWorks, AutoCAD, sketch up, etc... well then. Any thoughts? BTW, I am much more inclined to software that can be learned easily, and free in most cases on YouTube (Photoshop, sketchUp). I look forward to any input you all have... THANKS!
jabber35
Teardrop Builder

Return to CAD secrets