Flow simulation for aerodynamics

Want to design your own teardrop or tiny travel trailer. You can do that in 2D or 3D. We keep our secrets in here!

Flow simulation for aerodynamics

Postby brycelowe » Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:41 am

Greetings fellow tear engineers,
I happen to have access to some pretty fancy flow simulation software in solidworks and I know aerodynamics is a big concern for us teardroppers as we try to pinch every penny that gets poured into our gas tanks.
I've not done much analysis of the results yet but here is a picture of the flow over our teardrop(in progress) being pulled by an 08 civic.

What does this mean for you, you might ask... :thinking:
If you want to break out your nerd glasses and pocket protectors I'll try to the best of my ability to create something similar to what you see above with your profiles for you to analyze. Multiple setups is fine too. I look at this as fun so don't feel as a burden.
Most car profiles can be found online as a 2D drawing. I just need good image files of these profiles to trace then in SW. And some scale dimensions of course.

All free of charge of course. All I ask is that if we meet on the road one day maybe you'll have a nice cold one to share. :beer:

-Bryce
brycelowe
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Flow simulation for aerodynamics

Postby jss06 » Mon Jul 01, 2013 11:32 am

I would definitely be interested: Tow vehicle is a 2006 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited, Normally I tow with the soft top up on the jeep.

Trailer box is 4ft tall and is 9 ft from the back to front not including the tongue box. It is 5 ft wide.

This is a better side view of the box:

jss06
Palladium Donating Member

Postby asianflava » Mon Jul 01, 2013 12:04 pm

That would be interesting to see. I don't have a pic that is exactly perpendicular to the rig, this is the best I have. A 2007 Toyota Tundra Crewmax with the Modernistic profile (I use this profile http://www.angib.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/t ... tear31.htm) BTW: I do use a tonneau cover on the bed.

asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby brycelowe » Wed Jul 03, 2013 8:22 am

I'll see what I can do. Been having computer trouble the last week.
brycelowe
Teardrop Inspector

Postby jonw » Wed Jul 03, 2013 12:36 pm

I'm rehabbing my TD now but when it's done I'll snap a picture of it behind my CRV and send it to you.

One of the things I've done is replace the tongue with a longer one in hopes that it might reduce the mpg loss behind the CRV. You're offer of analysis is very timely.

Thanks.

Jon W
jonw
Titanium Donating Member

Postby asianflava » Wed Jul 03, 2013 2:47 pm

jonw wrote:I'm rehabbing my TD now but when it's done I'll snap a picture of it behind my CRV and send it to you.

One of the things I've done is replace the tongue with a longer one in hopes that it might reduce the mpg loss behind the CRV. You're offer of analysis is very timely.

Thanks.

Jon W

The biggest improvement the longer tongue did for me was help when backing up.
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby jonw » Fri Jul 12, 2013 4:49 pm

Here's my TV and TD - please let me know what you find:

Thanks.
jonw
Titanium Donating Member

Postby brycelowe » Fri Jul 12, 2013 5:06 pm

Hey guys,
I'd hoped to have my computer rehabilitated by now however I've been spending all my spare time building my tear in hopes to have it finished before the semester starts mid August. Every sim I try to run is interrupted in catastrophic system shutdown. [TIRED FACE]
I think I've fried a few components inside.
I'll post results when it finally spits some out.
brycelowe
Teardrop Inspector

Return to CAD secrets