Is Sketch up free? timer? Licence?

Want to design your own teardrop or tiny travel trailer. You can do that in 2D or 3D. We keep our secrets in here!

Is Sketch up free? timer? Licence?

Postby BC Dave » Sat Jan 18, 2014 12:59 pm

Hey all Caddies:

interesting 3 D applications in Sketch up.

I have downloaded Sketch up and its on a minute timer with full access to Sketch up pro for about 7 days worth of time; I haven't received a licence and thought this "Sketchup" was free; what happens when the timer runs out? where can I find a licence for free? :NC

Cheers BC Dave
BC Dave
Teardrop Master

Re: Is Sketch up free? timer? Licence?

Postby pohukai » Sat Jan 18, 2014 2:47 pm

Sketchup is free and it looks like they allow you to use the pro version (which is not free) for the first 8 hours. I was able to do everything I need with the 'non-pro' version.
pohukai
Teardrop Master

Postby Glenn Butcher » Sat Jan 18, 2014 2:52 pm

Just looked at their website, did you download SketchupMake or SketchupPro? Make should be free...
Glenn Butcher
Teardrop Master

Postby BC Dave » Sat Jan 18, 2014 7:06 pm

Thanks for the replies

pohukai wrote:Sketchup is free and it looks like they allow you to use the pro version (which is not free) for the first 8 hours. I was able to do everything I need with the 'non-pro' version.

Glenn Butcher wrote:Just looked at their website, did you download SketchupMake or SketchupPro? Make should be free...

I downloaded the SketchupMake (I think ...) it auto download make & pro together; so I got SketchupPro trial and I think that what's on the trial timer for 8 hours; but the licencing info is blank ... I'll have to check the computer I downloaded it on yesterday... :twisted:

----------------------------------------------

ok I checked; the download is Sketch up Make, version 13.x; from what I gather once the timer runs out; I'll no longer have access to the pro trial version; and its on an 8 hr timer that runs when the program open ... so hopefully make is operational after the trial is over.

Cheers bc d
BC Dave
Teardrop Master

Postby OP827 » Thu Jun 16, 2016 6:47 pm

Sketchup 8 is free and it can do all is needed to build a trailer 3D model and more.
I found that latest Sketchup Make does NOT have some important features that this older version has.

US version can be downloaded from here - https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/zxxkny5pi5xbxfw/GoogleSketchUpWEN_US.exe?token_hash=AAGBtzuGeOGzQaSb84dVkyCdSh1r_x1oIh94ex-PwjNq7Q&dl=1

I had some difficulty learning sketchup, but then I found this below website that allowed me to learn and be very productive with the sketchup in a very short time. There are good video tutorials, I really liked them - http://jayscustomcreations.com/sketchup/

I hope it will help some people who are looking to learn and use the Sketchup

Cheers!
OP827
Donating Member

Postby pcovell74 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 2:23 pm

So BricsCAD, a direct competitor with Autodesk (AutoCAD) has a free product out called BricsCAD Shape. It is suppose to be just like Sketchup. The CAD manager where I work told me about it. I haven't downloaded it yet, so I don't have any input on it.

https://www.bricsys.com/en-intl/shape/
Thanks,
Preston
pcovell74
Teardrop Inspector

Postby fishboat » Thu Jan 10, 2019 6:33 pm

SketchpMake is freeware. You get the pro version when you download. When it runs out, the pro options are shut off and Make is left fully functional. Make doesn't have the pro add-on bells and whistles, but the core drawing software is the same for both versions.

I'd think you'd want to download the latest, 2018 version. As long as you're taking the time to learn the software..you might as well use the latest version. I've started 10 years back with '08, went to '13 and now use the '16. There has been a number of reasonably significant changes between the '08, '13, '16, and possibly '18 versions. '16 had a significant hardware requirement change from '13.

If you're running '13..I'd uninstall it and go with '18.
fishboat
Teardrop Master

Postby fishboat » Thu Jan 10, 2019 6:39 pm

OP827 wrote:I found that latest Sketchup Make does NOT have some important features that this older version has.

I haven't noticed any feature downgrade from '08 to '13..other than maybe one..waaay back I remember printing templates on arch E paper..can't do that anymore..I don't think.

What's lost with '18?

Also.. OP..you can have multiple versions installed and they'll run fine, but.. a '16 will open a '13 file, but a '13 will not open a '16.
fishboat
Teardrop Master

Postby OP827 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:09 pm

fishboat wrote:
OP827 wrote:I found that latest Sketchup Make does NOT have some important features that this older version has.

I haven't noticed any feature downgrade from '08 to '13..other than maybe one..waaay back I remember printing templates on arch E paper..can't do that anymore..I don't think.

What's lost with '18?

Also.. OP..you can have multiple versions installed and they'll run fine, but.. a '16 will open a '13 file, but a '13 will not open a '16.

I remember back in 2016(time of my post above) I could not locate layers feature in that time current version of Sketchup Make. I just downloaded a new version and it seems to be added back... It is all good :thumbsup:
OP827
Donating Member

Postby fishboat » Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:15 pm

OP827 wrote:... It is all good :thumbsup:

Yikes!..apologies..I didn't realize this was a zombie thread.

Oh well..SU is still good..and free.
fishboat
Teardrop Master

Return to CAD secrets