Alaska Gathering?

Alaska

RC

Postby Guy » Sun Mar 19, 2006 5:15 pm

Dear Larry,

I remember a trip through Camloops and a beautiful lunch on Green Lake.

RC=Radio Canada. Although I should have said SRC Societe Radio Canada.
Regards,

Guy
Keep on living, laughing, learning and loving.
Guy
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Juneaudave » Sun Mar 19, 2006 5:43 pm

I would be thrilled to join everyone...and host the group if it came up on the ferry and laid over at Juneau!!!

:thumbsup:

We have it all...

Sport fishing
Canoe and kayak expeditions
Boat rentals
Museums
Cultural exhibits and authentic Native arts
Glacier Bay National Park Tours
Great campgrounds
Tree Canopy Zip Line Tours
Golf (at low tide)
Guided rainforest tours
Hiking Trails

Did I mention fishing?

Ice field and glacier flightseeing
Dog sled trips
Glacier hiking tours and ice climbing (better hurry, global warming, you know)
Gold panning and mine tours
Crab till you can't eat anymore....

Did I mention fishing?

Whale watching
Bear watching
Bird watching (Bald eagles, the pesky birds, guranteed)

Oh yeah..

Rain and friendly mosquitoes

:) :) :)
Juneaudave
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Postby Guest » Sun Mar 19, 2006 6:21 pm

Dave,
I think a lay over in Juneau is a must do!!! :twisted:
Gotta fit this all in during a two week period though... :(

Postby Juneaudave » Sun Mar 19, 2006 7:19 pm

I know time is a problem and Juneau isn't on the road system...but...

If a fella was to plan a trip up into Canada and Alaska...you could schedule it to hit some great events...how about for the kayak and canoe guys hitting the get together at the Vancouver “Meet at the Beach” at Barnet Marine Park, Burnaby, B.C. This is about the last week in May every year and the Tears would be certainly make a splash.

A favorite of mine is the Calgary Stampede (about the first week in July). Would be a great for those from the midwest wanting to make the run through Yellowstone, Glacier and Waterton Nat Parks, up to Calgary for the Stampede then up to Banff, Jasper and off to the coast. Great campgrounds, great hospitality and a once in a lifetime trip.

Sigh....so much to see and so little time!!!!
Juneaudave

Postby doug hodder » Sun Mar 19, 2006 8:38 pm

Dean....I agree!!!! Party at Daves place in Juneau...but I can only crash there for 1 week.... :lol: :lol: and Dave, how many tears can you fit in the yard? :lol: Doug
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby alaska teardrop » Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:23 pm

Dave - Thanks for chipping in! :shake hands:
    Since you have so much to offer all in one place, Juneau might be a good choice. Folks could stop there as a final destination or make Juneau a stop on a longer vacation.
    Besides, I'd get to ride the ferry again. Made one winter voyage from Bellingham to Haines with a stay in Juneau. It was one of the best trips ever.
    Since you're the resident transportation guy and surely most familiar with the ferry system, maybe you could expound on the various route possibilities (including British Columbia & Prince Rupert)?
    Fred
    Gone fishin'

Maybe if you could build a bunck of tears that folks could rent after they fly up there.
    Kerry - Missed that one before. Only if you promise to take them back home! :)
Northern Lite Traveler design: viewtopic.php?f=27&t=51991
Minimalist torsion axle frame: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=12220
Alaska Teardrop photo gallery: http://tnttt.com/gallery/album.php?album_id=2014
Glampette photo gallery; gallery/album.php?album_id=2983&sk=t&sd=d&st=0
alaska teardrop
Platinum Donating Member

Postby Chris C » Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:36 pm

Dang, Fred, that's a good lookin' minnow! :lol:
Chris :D

The tension between what is good enough and what is beyond that creates the space for character to become our work.

Teardrop Trailer Build Pictures: http://tinyurl.com/px5cd
Chris C

Postby mikeschn » Mon Mar 20, 2006 5:15 pm

Yea Fred,

What ya gonna catch with that minnow?

;)

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby Chris C » Mon Mar 20, 2006 5:17 pm

Probably some durned whale! :rofl2:
Chris :D

The tension between what is good enough and what is beyond that creates the space for character to become our work.

Teardrop Trailer Build Pictures: http://tinyurl.com/px5cd
Chris C

Postby mikeschn » Mon Mar 20, 2006 5:51 pm

I'm thinking shark...

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby JunkMan » Mon Mar 20, 2006 6:31 pm

Definatly wait until 07 or 08 if you plan an event, so those of us that have a long ways to go can make plans.

A buddy and I rode our Harleys up the Alcan, and came back on the Cassiar (when it was still gravel) in 92, and had a great time. Odie and I have been planning to pull our 5th wheel up and spend a month on the road some day, but with fuel prices, we have been putting it off. A teardrop event would definatly be more affordable (and probably mere fun!). Maybe a teardrop caravan up (or back) on the Alcan or Cassiar?
Jeff & Odie
Black Hills of South Dakota
JunkMan
500 Club

Postby Nitetimes » Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:06 pm

That sounds like a trip we could get into also!! My parents have been to Alaska and I wanna go too!! 8) 8) :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Rich

ImageImage
-
The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to
keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves
against tyranny in government.
- Thomas Jefferson -
Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take a butt kickin'.
Nitetimes
7000 Club
7000 Club

Postby Juneaudave » Tue Mar 21, 2006 12:55 am

Say y'all...let's start getting some thoughts down on some paremeters for a gathering. I'll start putting together a .pdf of driving times, ferry costs if I can get some input...here's some initial thoughts I had (keeping in mind I've never participated in something like this)...

:?

1. Alaska is a big, big state and is pretty far away. It would be good to be able to accomodate folks on different schedules, time frames, and routes and meet at a location and travel a few days as a big caravan.

2. It would be good to have separate smaller caravans coming up from say...Glacier/Waterton via Calgary, Banff, and Jasper....up the Marine Highway from Bellingham, WA...and say from Seattle up through Kamloops

3. An ending point in Alaska (or in the Yukon) would be good so that travellers with time could go on and caravan on for Anchorage, Seward, Homer, the Dalton Highway, etc. and points beyond.

4. Comments on must see, or must do, would help...for instance...from Whitehorse, you can easily schedule some great canoe trips down the Yukon and meet up with fellow campers at a predetermined sites.

Thoughts????

Best Wishes and this would be a great time!!!...Juneaudave
Juneaudave

Postby madjack » Tue Mar 21, 2006 1:10 am

I was thinking about a figure 8...drive to Seattle and catch the boat to Juneau...hangout...catch the boat to ??? to get a hi-way to the interior...do a rendezvous somewhere and gather up somewhere around???....come back to the north end of Marine Highway and ferry back to above Juneau and head back inland to the south and the USA....really long trip but...WOW
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

AAA - Teardrops 2 Tundra - Trip Tik

Postby Guy » Tue Mar 21, 2006 10:23 am

Dear All,

If you can start with some potential journeys and plans like Madjack has. I can get Internet Trip Tiks From AAA for free. These will include Maps, mileage, points of interest, ferry schedules, campgrounds, tolls, etc.

They are very good. It is one of the benefits for tha premium membership, which I have to have travelling the country in my truck.

So ask away, and I will get it for you, personalized from your home and your waypoints.Remember it does not have to your final plan. I can save each person's trip tik and just make adjustments as you make them. As Doug says the process and the planning is a great part of the fun.

And now this thread is really flying.

BTW, Veterans with any service-connected disability travel the Alaska Marine Highway for a 50% discount, and anyone with a 70% disability also travels for 50%.
Regards,

Guy
Keep on living, laughing, learning and loving.
Guy
1000 Club
1000 Club

PreviousNext

Return to Alaska