Alaska Gathering?

Alaska

Postby Ira » Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:45 pm

I would have to take out a second mortgage to make that trip. And it would take me two weeks just to GET there.

I WANNA GO! WAHHHH!!!!!!

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
Here we go again!
Ira
Forum Storyteller

Alaska Gathering

Postby rooster » Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:32 pm

Well, Fred, you poked a stick in the bee hive and look at the response you got. :lol: Maybe some of those banjo pickin guys will come also and we'll really have grand ole time. :applause:

Jim, on the Kenai Peninsula . . . .
Beware of what she wishes....especially with that twinkle in her eye and that mischievious smile....you know it's gonna cost....
rooster
Donating Member

Postby sid » Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:12 pm

WOW, would we love to make that trip! We took the Boy Scouts to Alaska in 2000 for 2 weeks and had a BLAST!!! There were 35 of us that went. A teardrop trip would be fantastic. We flew into a fish camp and stayed for a week, and the second week we backpacked the Resurrection Pass Trail in Jim's neck of the woods on the Kenai Peninsula. Spent a couple of days bumming around Anchorage before we returned. What a beautiful place.

We're like Ira, we have a far away starting point, but don't count us out. Side will be retired then, and I'll be so damn close I won't really care!!!

:cheerswine:

sid n side
sid n side
"If you're going through hell, keep going......" Winston Churchhill

Side by Side - completed October 2008
sid
Donating Member

Postby Chris C » Wed Mar 22, 2006 5:27 pm

You guys are breakn' my heart! :( I'd sure like to take that trip. What a blast for a bunch to get together and journey up there. Oh well, when I win the lottery! :laughter: :laughing1:
Chris :D

The tension between what is good enough and what is beyond that creates the space for character to become our work.

Teardrop Trailer Build Pictures: http://tinyurl.com/px5cd
Chris C

Postby JunkMan » Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:17 pm

Chris C wrote:You guys are breakn' my heart! :( Oh well, when I win the lottery! :laughter: :laughing1:

This is coming from the guy that just got back from the Western Carribean, then went to Branson? :yes:
Jeff & Odie
Black Hills of South Dakota
JunkMan
500 Club

Postby Chris C » Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:24 pm

OOPS :o , double post. :lol:
Last edited by Chris C on Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The tension between what is good enough and what is beyond that creates the space for character to become our work.

Chris C

Postby Chris C » Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:25 pm

Frankly, the Caribbean tain't what it's cracked up to be! Least wise, not for me. But I did enjoy the splendor of the ship. Yup, Branson was fun, while we weren't dodging tornadoes and the hail that tore up my Honda. :lol:

Chris C

Postby Guest » Wed Mar 22, 2006 8:59 pm

I'd like to suggest that Dave, Jim and Fred talk things over....
I could be wrong but it looks like all three of them are separated by quite a bit of travel time.
Dave being the farthest South in Juneau.
Jim being in the middle and a bit to the West on the Kenai Pennisula.
Fred being a bit to the North, maybe just a tad East, right???
Hell... I'd be happy just to make it to Juneau, with a stop in Sitka...
I'll take a bull horn with me and tell everyone in Sitka that Guy is a friend of mine. :lol: (Just kidding)

Postby Juneaudave » Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:28 pm

Good news, bad news reality check

:) :?

Bad news first...I'm a bit concerned over the cost to take the Alaska Marine Highway...it's over $2000 for a tow vehicle/tear combo with 2 people from Bellingham WA to Juneau and then up to Haines (and when I checked for June, you couldn't get a cabin for the three day trip (You sleep in a Solarium in a tent). That's a bunch of spare change. I think we definately need to plan for a 2007 trip for reservations on the ferry, and have options for people to drive.

Other bad news...it's about 2300 miles (one way) from Seattle to Fairbanks. That really puts pressure on a two week vacation, especially for those who might want to hit Denali NP, or go above the Arctic Circle, etc.

:D

Now for the good news....if we shoot for 2007, we can plan something sufficeintly flexible to fit everyones schedules.

If we go around June-ish... we could drive till midnight, play golf till 3 AM, have breakfast, fish till 6:00 am in the morning...and never be out of daylight!

I think that all Dave, Jim and Fred would need to get some ideas out is an understanding on what everyone would like to do!!!

I'm posting a new post on "Suggest a Gather" entitled "If I went on a caravan to Alaska, I would want to...." Lets get some ideas out there!!!
Juneaudave
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Postby Chris C » Thu Mar 23, 2006 9:17 am

Interesting talk on another site I frequent:

http://www.casitaclub.com/forums/index. ... c=5639&hl=

Chris C

Postby JunkMan » Thu Mar 23, 2006 10:28 am

Chris C wrote:Interesting talk on another site I frequent:

http://www.casitaclub.com/forums/index. ... c=5639&hl=

I thought that the person thet suggested carring 2 spares for the tow vehicle and trailer, as well as oil, filters, power steering fluid, ect. got a little carried away. Modern tires are much better than tires of 20 years ago, when is the last time you had a flat? Filters & oil might be a good idea if you plan to run a lot of gravel, where you may damage a filter, and loose your oil, but if you stay on the main Highways, it's not much different than traveling the lower 48, store are just a little further apart.

I did the trip 14 years ago on a motorcycle, and heard the same thing. We carried some spare parts, but we used common sense and the only things that we carried that was more than we would normally carry for a long trip were a couple of electrical parts that were known to cause problems on Harleys, and would have taken a few days to have shipped to us if we had needed them. Yes, our tires wore out sooner than they normally would have (of course we were also loaded much heavier than normal, and ran over 600 miles of gravel!), but we made sure that we had good tires when we left, and replaced them when we got back to the lower 48.

Sure, prices are more expensive, especially in northern Canada, but I don't remember payng $50 for a case of beer! We were up there again in 2004 (took a cruise) and thought that prices in Anchorage and the Kenai penninsula were pretty reasonable.
Jeff & Odie
Black Hills of South Dakota
JunkMan
500 Club

Postby Chris C » Thu Mar 23, 2006 10:30 am

I just hope by the time this whole thing actually happens I can have enough money :money: saved to make the trip. I know I'll have the trailer by then. (hear that, Gage?) :lol:

Chris C

Postby Gage » Thu Mar 23, 2006 5:51 pm

I suppose we'll also have to have a passport. Or can we get away with something temporary. Looks like it will take me at least 5 weeks. Wife is already getting excited and hope it's going to happen in 2008 at the earliest.

Have a good day.

8)
I sure hope they have old Ford parts up there. I couldn't even go to Minden and back without having a few problems. Damn old cars.
Image Image Image
Remember 'Teardrop Time'.......Take your time, you don't have to have it finished NOW.
Gage
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby Chris C » Thu Mar 23, 2006 6:17 pm

Yup, Gage, a passport is required..................and God what they do to your picture!!!!! :? Be prepared for a shock!

Chris C

Postby Guest » Thu Mar 23, 2006 6:20 pm

TDN would know that one for sure.
When we went to Mexico, this past Christmas... I was told that I'd have to get a passport next time instead of using the birth certificate.
I remember the customs agent telling her that it's going to apply to travel in Canada as well. As far as it applying to anything other than air travel or how soon this goes into effect... ADD strikes again. (I'll ask TDN)

PreviousNext

Return to Alaska