EZ Ellipse

Important Information and Stickies...
(Threads with essential information about building teardrops)

EZ Ellipse

Postby Harold Sultzbaugh » Fri Sep 12, 2008 11:29 am

For simple instructions on making an ellipse; go to;
'benchnotes.com'
scroll to' information'
click on 'laying out an ellipse'
Nothing to it!

ILLIGITIMI NON CARBORUNDRUM!!!!! :frustrated:
CMTears
Harold Sultzbaugh
Silver Donating Member

Postby cambi » Fri Sep 12, 2008 11:47 am

Interesting!! Good find!!
cambi
Teardrop Inspector

Postby mikeschn » Fri Sep 12, 2008 3:25 pm

Andrew taught us about the two nails and a string. You can see me doing it here...

Mike...

P.S. I wonder where Andrews directions are? Ah, here they are:
http://www.angib.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/t ... tear80.htm
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby DBizer » Fri Sep 12, 2008 6:41 pm

The link below is a handy "tool" to use with the string method of drawing ellipses. I've been using for a couple of years now and it sure saves a lot of time find points and string length.

http://www.cleavebooks.co.uk/scol/callipse.htm

David
"It's not that there are not enough hours in the day, it's that there are not enough days in the weekend !!! "
DBizer
Teardrop Advisor

Re: EZ Ellipse

Postby gdpipkorn » Sat Apr 05, 2014 7:20 pm

David, Thank you for this invaluable link to "cleavebooks". An amazing tool.

Grant
If one's life is entertaining, there is no need to go and buy entertainment.
gdpipkorn
Gold Donating Member

Postby Glenn Butcher » Sat Apr 05, 2014 7:47 pm

The javascript tool I wrote gives the coordinates and string length for ellipses:

http://pulpitrock.net/profiletool

Select the "All" radio button and, ta-da...

MrMatt used it to draw his profile: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=59414#p1072668
Glenn Butcher
Teardrop Master

Postby Corwin C » Sun Apr 06, 2014 1:01 pm

Here's a different method that doesn't require strings, focus points off the edge of your plywood, or special software or math to figure lengths. It's an old-school way of drawing an ellipse as well as some other challenging shapes as well.

First, lets start with an ellipse ...

An ellipse is a curved shape which has a major axis and a minor axis 90° from each other. The curve is tangent to the axis (meets at 90°) as well. This enables a smooth transition to a line when the line is at a right angle to the end of the axis. For example ...

This image shows a blue line and a red line that may be connected smoothly by an elliptical curve without any bumps, lumps, or bulges. To do this, build a trammel. For my trammel I picked a piece of heavy cardboard that is a little bit longer than the major axis. I then placed a stylus (marking device) in one end. In this case it's a mechanical pencil. Then I put two additional points at the exact distance from the stylus for the length of each axis. In this case they are silver pin heads. Here's a picture ...

It is hard to see in the picture, but the pencil is at 0, there's a pinhead at 77 and another pinhead at 134. In actuality, I didn't measure those distances, I just held the trammel on the axis and placed the pin at the appropriate point. An important point here is that all three are in a straight line. Next, we need a guide for the pinheads to follow, so I used another piece of cardboard that has an accurate 90° angle ...

Notice the placement ... the guide follows the major axis and is an extension of the minor axis. In this picture it is bigger than it needs to be. It only needs to have sides as long as the difference of the two axis. Also, it doesn't have to be a solid piece, it can be anything that give you straight line guides. In real life, I often just clamp a framing square in place. Next we use the trammel to draw the curve ...

Carefully sliding the pinheads against the guide, the stylus will scribe an accurate elliptical curve. And here is the result ...

Now for something more challenging ... I am planning on building a Benroy style teardrop, however, I want it to "lean" toward the tow vehicle. In other words, the two flat planes (roof and front wall) are not at right angles to each other. Here's an example ...

Notice that the red and blue lines are at an angle with each other and the axis lines no longer meet squarely. I drew these to the same dimensions as the first example so I could use the same trammel. However, I need a new guide that looks like this ...

Notice again here that the guide follows the major axis and is an extension of the minor axis. Use the trammel just like before ...

And the resulting curve ...

For some reason the picture is upside down, but you get the idea. Personally, I find this a whole lot easier than stretchy string, odd measurements, and so on, plus it has the advantages of smoothly transitioning between any two curves or lines.
Corwin
Image Image Image
If I am unwilling to stand up straight before the world and admit what I have accomplished during the day, without excuses, in complete and honest detail, then I can do better ...
and no one should be expected to accept anything less.
-- myself
Corwin C
500 Club

Postby ctstaas » Sun Aug 31, 2014 4:59 pm

Thanks Corwin and super cool, I needed to draw an ellipse the other day and could not remember the string thing and it was easier to just free ball then to try to look it up so your method is perfect and I promise to never forget. I was an iron worker/ fabricator for 30+ years and did all of our layout "Old School". And your method is like a tool and a machine both, at the same time. I have a strong need to draw an ellipse now.
Enjoy, Chris
ctstaas
Teardrop Master

Ellipse instructions for Sketchup and string

Postby ChasCABQ » Tue Oct 07, 2014 7:52 am

Here's set of graphic instructions for drawing an ellipse with string: http://www.mathopenref.com/printellipse1.html

I also made an ellipse in Sketchup by first making a circle with smaller radius then use Scale tool to make one axis longer. Surprised how close it turned out to be my combination of two arcs with different radii.
Build journal: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?t=61303
In 2016, I received a kidney transplant, finished my teardrop, and took it on the road! In 2017 I sold it and am back to car camping.
Thanks to all forum members who provided advice about my build and posted info to help me get started.
ChasCABQ
Donating Member

Postby Glenn Butcher » Tue Oct 07, 2014 8:47 pm

My profile tool will display the foci coordinates and the string length for an ellipsis, just lay out each of your quadrants and click All... http://pulpitrock.net/profiletool
Glenn Butcher
Teardrop Master

Return to Essential Information about building teardrops