Recos for buying the trailer frame

Important Information and Stickies...
(Threads with essential information about building teardrops)

Recos for buying the trailer frame

Postby AS115 » Thu Jul 30, 2020 1:33 pm

I'm looking to buy the trailer base before building the teardrop.

While I'm fine with building the top, I don't feel comfortable putting together something that is road-worthy using a kit from Harbor Freight (normally my go to for tools) or Northern Tool. Also, their axles seem cheap and they're only rated to 45 MPH. I'll be going on interstates so need something more robust.

That said, I'm not looking to overpay and I'm totally open to using other options to create a strong, reliable base (maybe a welder?) if anyone has done that. Aluminum seems to be a good option, too.

Any economical suggestions? Thanks!
AS115
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Recos for buying the trailer frame

Postby Graniterich » Thu Jul 30, 2020 4:10 pm

Not trying to start anything, but I have towed thousands of miles at 75 mph for decades using harbor freight trailers. Just want to set the record straight. 45 is lawyer speak

Sent from my KFKAWI using Tapatalk
Graniterich
Donating Member

Postby AS115 » Thu Jul 30, 2020 9:21 pm

Graniterich wrote:Not trying to start anything, but I have towed thousands of miles at 75 mph for decades using harbor freight trailers. Just want to set the record straight. 45 is lawyer speak

Thanks. Reassurance is good, too :)

How hard is it to build one from HF? I'm not that strong and wondering if I could do it. Also if special tools are needed.
AS115
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Graniterich » Thu Jul 30, 2020 9:52 pm

Not hard at all. The boxes are heavy, they always load them for me. I open the boxes and remove each piece.

The 1720 lbl has a solid steel axle. You have to clean and pack bearings. Standard metric socket set is required. No special tools required. As far as strength goes, once you have built a torsion box (the actual drop) that is bolted to the frame the whole thing is very strong.

Graniterich
Donating Member

Postby AS115 » Mon Aug 03, 2020 1:51 pm

Thanks!
AS115
Teardrop Inspector

Return to Essential Information about building teardrops