Vent/fan favorites

Important Information and Stickies...
(Threads with essential information about building teardrops)

Re: Vent/fan favorites

Postby foxontherun » Mon May 06, 2024 9:35 pm

Postby featherliteCT1 » Tue Dec 13, 2022 7:38 pm
From etrailer.com technical support: The maxxAir fails because of the voltage spikes. The unit will shut down if the voltage exceeds more than 13.4 volts so if the vehicle is sending more than this to this fan you would need to install a voltage regulator inline with the power wire. MaxxAir said they were aware of the issue and have since updated the circuit board to prevent this. The change was made in January of 2022 so any fan with a serial number that starts with 22 will have the new updated board. My MaxxFan was purchased in 2018, so when I install my new Lifepo4 battery, I will install a 12v DC DC buck voltage regulator inside the fan housing. Simple to do. Amazon has the one I need for $15 plus shipping.

Good evening,
Featherlite, have you added the regulator to your fan since this referenced post? Curious if you have had any issues. I have two 5100K Maxxaire fans both purchased in 2018. One quit working last Friday and my research over the weekend pointed out everything you said in your thread above. I did test the motor tonite on my workbench and it comes on when I hook it up to a DC power supply so I am guessing my circuit board has finally crapped out. I installed 600 Ah of Lifepo4 a couple of months ago. If you have installed a regulator would you use that one again and if so can you provide me the model to try out on mine please?

I have seen a few youtubes but the ones they recommend seemed a little sketchy in the reviews and specs when I checked them out.

Thanks! :)
Harry
foxontherun
Teardrop Master

Re: Vent/fan favorites

Postby featherliteCT1 » Tue May 07, 2024 7:19 am

Harry,

I have not yet installed the voltage regulator. After I bought the regulator about 18 months ago, I had to go on a trip before I had a chance to install the regulator. Since then, out of procrastination, I have not taken the time to install the regulator.

So far, I have not fried my circuit board, but realize I am gambling. Periodically, I think about the risk I am taking without the regulator. Your post reminds me that I need to do so.

One possible reason that my circuit board has not yet fried is that I usually charge my batteries to 13.8v and rarely charge to 14v.
featherliteCT1
1000 Club
1000 Club

Previous

Return to Essential Information about building teardrops