Lil Diner stuff

Important Information and Stickies...
(Threads with essential information about building teardrops)

Postby mikeschn » Mon Mar 21, 2005 5:15 am

Steve Frederick wrote:Mike, What way was the stove supposed to face?? I remember facing 'Chelle, as she is at the counter??

I just talked to Michelle. She said she would like it if the stove faces the curbside of the teardrop!

As for setting up gas struts... hold the hatch in the open position, screw the struts into place, and then close. Here's how they ended up on the Baja Benroy...

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby SteveH » Mon Mar 21, 2005 5:35 pm

Mike,
As for setting up gas struts... hold the hatch in the open position, screw the struts into place, and then close. Here's how they ended up on the Baja Benroy...

Not to disagree, but there is another thing to consider. In the installation geometry, the distance from the hinge to the top mounting location, the radius, cannot be greater than the maximum travel of the strut, or they will bind and something will break. :o
SteveH
Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant"is like calling a drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist ".
SteveH
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Steve Frederick » Mon Mar 21, 2005 9:12 pm

I'll cut the stove top in next. I have the stove pullout ready for the drawers too!Image
Blessings, Steve
Adirondacks, Upstate New York
Building Journals
The Shop Manual's 8-years old!! Thank's everyone!
New! 'Rondack Lodge Plans!Order Here!
Steve Frederick
Custom Teardrop Builder

Location: Upstate New York, Adirondacks (Great Sacandaga Lake)

Postby Steve Frederick » Thu Mar 24, 2005 6:37 pm

Here you go, Mike! I know you're traveling this weekend...
Your galley..
The door for the center cabinet..
I got the hatch skinned inside..
I'm hoping to get the hatch skins finished, and start on the roof 'glassing this weekend.
Blessings, Steve
Building Journals
Steve Frederick
Custom Teardrop Builder

Postby mikeschn » Thu Mar 24, 2005 7:03 pm

Hey Steve,

You did a nice job on the galley. I'm looking at the countertop, and I don't see any plywood edges on there. Did you glue a strip to the front of the counter?

That's really neat too, how you made the top drawer larger. I could even store those small throwaway propane bottles in there if I wanted to. But I have a question. If by grabbing the drawer handles I open the drawers, what to I grab to pull the stove out? The stove itself?

It almost looks like you'll be finishing up this weekend. But I know that can't happen cause the glass resin needs time to cure!

Mike...

P.S. Do you have a shot of the taillights on the hatch?
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby Steve Frederick » Thu Mar 24, 2005 10:35 pm

mikeschn wrote:Hey Steve,

You did a nice job on the galley. I'm looking at the countertop, and I don't see any plywood edges on there. Did you glue a strip to the front of the counter?

That's heat set birch veneer edging.
That's really neat too, how you made the top drawer larger. I could even store those small throwaway propane bottles in there if I wanted to. But I have a question. If by grabbing the drawer handles I open the drawers, what to I grab to pull the stove out? The stove itself?

I was going with two drawers of the same depth. My son came in this afternoon, and suggested that a deeper drawer might be handy for utensils. I added that top section to accomodate that idea.
If you reach into the stove space, you can grab the stove in tha area where the knobs are recessed. Sort of a built in handle!

It almost looks like you'll be finishing up this weekend. But I know that can't happen cause the glass resin needs time to cure!

I'll need to do a couple of fill coats of epoxy to allow for sanding to finish.
P.S. Do you have a shot of the taillights on the hatch?

I haven't wired the hatch yet, or applied the outer skins...Later this weekend. I have the day "off" tomorrow...I'll get lot's done!! :worship:
Last edited by Steve Frederick on Thu Mar 24, 2005 10:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Blessings, Steve
Building Journals
Steve Frederick
Custom Teardrop Builder

Postby asianflava » Thu Mar 24, 2005 10:44 pm

Man-o-man you do such great work. It kinda makes me jealous :fb You work so fast too. You will have started 2 tears and finished them in the same amount of time it takes me to do one. I guess it comes faster with practice though. A lot of this wood working stuff is new to me.

I have to remind myself to just keep plugging along. I think I've gotten past my "Wall" (the galley) and should see more results in the coming weeks. Too bad I'm stuck inside sick.
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby Ranger Rod » Fri Mar 25, 2005 12:04 am

Boy, that looks great Steve! :thumbsup:

What kind of stove is that & where did it come from? I really like the looks of that unit. Will it run off larger tanks or small cylinders?

Rod
Ranger Rod
Teardrop Advisor

Postby mikeschn » Fri Mar 25, 2005 5:37 am

Hey Ranger Rod,

Both the stove and the furnace came from Ducktec.com

Steve noticed that they dropship from a place right in the next town. Got a kick out of that...

Here's the stove:
http://www.ducktec.com./itm00077.htm

and here's the furnace:
http://www.ducktec.com./itmidx14.htm

Mike...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby purplepickup » Fri Mar 25, 2005 8:47 am

Mike thanks for the link on the furnace. That $398 unit looks great. With lot's of insulation in the trailer it won't take much to warm things up on a snowy night. I'm going to check the RV surplus yards near here first but that's a good price.
George
:)
purplepickup
Silver Donating Member

Postby davel » Fri Mar 25, 2005 9:08 am

Steve,
:thumbsup: I love that stove setup :applause: That is awsomely inspiring. It has me rethinking my galley. Could I use that idea on mine?
davel
Donating Member

Postby Steve Frederick » Fri Mar 25, 2005 9:24 pm

davel wrote:Steve,
:thumbsup: I love that stove setup :applause: That is awsomely inspiring. It has me rethinking my galley. Could I use that idea on mine?

Thanx, Davel!! Help yourself to the idea...I "stole it" :shock: from someone, I think his name is Bob?? He has a nice pull-out stove in his galley. I just modified his idea to suit Mike's stove and galley.
Thanx Bob!! :thumbsup:
To answer something said earlier, Mike will use a 20# tank, the same one used for the furnace, to fuel the stove. I'm working out a way to allow the fuel line to retract into the cylinder cabinet.
Blessings, Steve
Building Journals
Steve Frederick
Custom Teardrop Builder

Postby ALAN GEDDES » Sun Mar 27, 2005 8:46 pm

Where are the overall dimensions and basic plans at ?
Alan
ALAN GEDDES
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Steve Frederick » Sun Mar 27, 2005 9:57 pm

Got her ready for 'glassin'..Image
Sanded, and radiused the corners, sealed with a thin coat of epoxy..Glassing this week!!
Blessings, Steve
Building Journals
Steve Frederick
Custom Teardrop Builder

Postby purplepickup » Sun Mar 27, 2005 10:09 pm

Steve how did you apply the epoxy? I can see an even texture in the photo. Do you use a foam roller?
George
:)
purplepickup
Silver Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Essential Information about building teardrops