Webpage for the Lil' Diner

Important Information and Stickies...
(Threads with essential information about building teardrops)

Postby cracker39 » Wed Jul 20, 2005 12:19 pm

Tom,

GREAT GOOKAMOOGAS!!! I didn't realize or even think about someone stealing plans and selling them. I may someday want to sell my plans. But, I don't know how to protect them except to learn how to prevent them from being downloaded at all. You can do that, but even then, someone can view it and take a screen shot to use to reproduce it. I too would be really teed off if someone did that and made a profit off my work. My drawings are original to some extent. I may pull the details off my web pages if it comes to that. I "copyrighted" all of my poetry on my web site, but that won't keep people from stealing it.

Even with the copyright info on each photo or drawing, I used paint to remove the copyright info and you can't tell it was ever in the photo. That took me all of 2 minutes to alter. Here are the results before and after" Sorry Mike, I am just making an example of what anyone can do.

Dale

Sometimes I pretend to be normal. But, that gets boring...so I go back to being me.

Squidget Pop Top Build Pages http://www.thesquidget.com/ptbuild/ptbuild.html

Squidget and Pop Top Plans Info and Photos: http://www.TheSquidget.com
cracker39
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby mikeschn » Wed Jul 20, 2005 5:57 pm

Yea, I think we all agree that pretty much anything can be stolen from the internet and doctored up. We all pretty much gave up trying to protect the information, and just made it free, and so prolific that who would want to pay for it? :?

Mike...

P.S. Of course, if they start selling it on places like ebay, they'll get the boot from ebay!!!
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby southpennrailroad » Sat Feb 18, 2006 1:04 pm

Did you know that even photographing buildings is an infringement on the copyright law. Think about the fact that an archatect ( I think I mispelle this word) was paid to design that building and if you are photographing it to be used in an art gallery that is you making money on someone else work. Just try and take a camera into a photo gallery and see what happens.
:snappy:
Long time researching the abandoned South Pennsylvania Railroad along the Pennsylvania Turnpike. God will guide me. As he has done so in the past. southpennrailroad.com
southpennrailroad
500 Club

copy right!

Postby Miriam C. » Thu Feb 23, 2006 10:22 pm

I agree with Mike and the rest. There is always someone willing to make a profit from the work of others.

One way to cover yourself without the effort of a copyright is the get a sealable envelope and mail you materials to yourself. If someone trys to sell your work you can use the date stamp as proof of your work.

Miriam
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby cracker39 » Fri Feb 24, 2006 9:21 am

Before I attempt to sell my plans on Ebay or anywhere else, I am looking into getting them copyrighted. I don'k know the cost or how long it takes, or if it will even protect me. I would imagine that prosecuting someone who might steal and sell them would be very difficult and expensive.
Dale

Sometimes I pretend to be normal. But, that gets boring...so I go back to being me.

cracker39
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby tonyj » Sat Jun 03, 2006 10:34 am

Just happened on this old thread and it rang a bell on some previous copyright info I had looked for before. Basically, you own copyright as soon as your idea is published in a fixed form, so you own the copyright as of creation. You don't obtain a copyright, you own it. You can take the additional protection of registering your copyright. The following is a link to the gov copyright webpage and has all the basic info and explanation. I'm not holding myself out as an expert on this--I've just looked for the info before.

Hope this helps.

http://www.copyright.gov/circs/circ1.html#wci
Still graced with two eyes and ten fingers (due in no small part to luck!).

Just when you think a problem is solved, an uglier result replaces it.

tony
tonyj
Super Lifetime Member

Postby cracker39 » Sat Jun 03, 2006 1:12 pm

Tony, that's my understanding also. However, that doesn't keep people from stealing your stuff off of a web site, and there's little one can do to the culprit if you could catch them. I just place a copyright label on all of my poetry on my web pages and hope that no one would want to take one to publish under their name (assuming that anyone would want to is just my ego speaking). I also have a disclaimer that anyone who wants to use a piece written by others that I have there contact the author/owner for permission.
Dale

cracker39
3000 Club
3000 Club

It's an Ill Wind That Blows No Good.

Postby jyb-tr20 » Wed Oct 11, 2006 3:36 pm

Hello Chaps
Just to say that I completely agree with your views about folk taking images and passing 'work' off as their own. It's just not done old boy. :thumbdown:

The funny [?] thing is that a few months ago whilst looking for a trailer [to pull tent & camping gear] on Ebay that I came across the guy selling the CD [supposedly] selling plans for teardrops. I didn't even win the auction but was contacted by the seller and given a 2nd chance to buy. For £6.00 I thought why not! When I got the CD it showed illustrations of the vintage tears etc and directing me to this site. Although I was duped I have enjoyed visiting this site. :thumbsup:
I'm now right into building a Benroy from the plans. The sides and the floor are done and last week the chassis was welded up and is off to the Zinc Galvanisers sometime this week. I spent the whole day yesterday tidying up my garage for when the frame gets back and I can start building.
I've also bought a 1997 Land Rover Discovery 2.5 Tdi to pull it with when it's finished. I'll get the camera out shortly, take a pic and introduce myself properly as newbie soon.
Cheers
jyb
This time next year I'll know everything!
jyb-tr20
Teardrop Inspector

Postby cracker39 » Wed Oct 11, 2006 3:40 pm

JYB,

That is why, on eBay, I post my web site where the prospective buyer can view samples of my plan details, so that they can see that I have created plans, and am not passing off the work of someone else or sending them to another web site to try to get help to build. The fact that I have copyright messages on everything doesn't mean that the plans can't be bought and re-sold by the buyer.
Dale

cracker39
3000 Club
3000 Club

E-bay copy

Postby keeble81 » Sun Dec 17, 2006 5:12 am

Hi All
I am sorry to say I brought a disc from e-bay I am sorry if I have up
set all or afended enone on this forum I will happly remove my self from it if you wish it.
yours faithfully
keeble81
keeble81
Teardrop Inspector

Re: E-bay copy

Postby madjack » Sun Dec 17, 2006 10:52 am

keeble81 wrote:Hi All
I am sorry to say I brought a disc from e-bay I am sorry if I have up
set all or afended enone on this forum I will happly remove my self from it if you wish it.
yours faithfully
keeble81

keeble...don't sweat it...if we get offended, it will be at the guy that sold ya the CD...not you...by the way...welcome to the board...take lotssa pics, since that is what we charge for more advice than you can possibly use........
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby mikeschn » Sun Dec 17, 2006 12:01 pm

Yea Keeble,

We are not mad at you. it's the ebay guy we are not happy with...

So yea, like Madjack said...

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Re: copy right!

Postby LiLREd » Sat Apr 28, 2007 11:31 pm

Miriam C. wrote:I agree with Mike and the rest. There is always someone willing to make a profit from the work of others.

One way to cover yourself without the effort of a copyright is the get a sealable envelope and mail you materials to yourself. If someone trys to sell your work you can use the date stamp as proof of your work.

Miriam

The envelope trick doesn't work anymore. My husband is a musician and years (decades) ago, he used to copyright his songs this way. He'd mail them to himself, using postage as proof of ownership. That won't hold up in court now. Copyright is not enforceable unless it is copyrighted through the Library of Congress. Guess the gov't decided it wants its money or no protection.
LiLREd
Teardrop Builder

Postby mallymal » Wed Jul 15, 2009 11:17 am

Some people are SO rude.....

Why are you so afraid of people stealing your pics? I cant stand to look at your pages because everything even the background of your page has copyright stuff all over it. Its so ugly and ruins your pictures. No one is going to reproduce them its just a tear drop camper plan.

Mike, and others, are so unbelievably generous with their time, skill, and knowledge. If an ordinary home builder like me wants to use one of the posted designs as inspiration, then a copyright logo isn't exactly going to spoil things.

It's a TINY price to pay for the massive wealth of info you can pick up here for free.

But if some low life is going to rip them off for selling on Ebay, then it might discourage them, and I think it's absolutely right to add the copyright.
mallymal
The 300 Club

Re: Webpage for the Lil' Diner

Postby chamal » Sat May 19, 2012 9:07 am

Hi Mike,
I totally agree with all your efforts to copyright your work, you and many others on this forum have very kindly offered a great deal of drawings, sketches and descriptional work regarding building Teardrops and tiny trailers, AS ADVICE.

Whilst I have no intentions of stealing someone's design it is very handy to see how people have solved small problems when it comes to design and construction, I too am designing my own caravan, it will be tiny, it will be light and whilst I haven't come up with a new idea I have varied an existing idea.

I was thinking of skinning in aluminium or FRP or even vinyl wrap, but I think the CPES and paint it route is what I should aim for, that is if I can find similar products in the UK. Here's me talking about skinning I haven't even finished drawing it yet.
I downloaded google sketchup CAD to try and draw it on computer, so far I have a box with a wheel on it, mind you I'm not the brightest when it comes to computers, Thick? I thought Ichyfannie was a Japanese motor bike. :lol:

If I have one itsy bitsy teeny weeny criticism Mike, could you use a bolder typeface, sometimes the words mix in with the background and it's difficult to read.

Thank you for your efforts and well done :applause:
chamal
Teardrop Inspector

PreviousNext

Return to Essential Information about building teardrops