Beginners Tool Kit!

Important Information and Stickies...
(Threads with essential information about building teardrops)

Re: Beginners Tool Kit!

Postby mezmo » Fri Apr 25, 2014 3:42 am

Hi bywil45/Wilhem,

Welcome to the forum ! It welcomes all who love TDs and TTTs and
camping from anywhere in the world.

I also wondered about how the pin always remained in a "piano"
[US term for them] or "continuous" hinge, too.

I Googled that question, and the answer seems to be that all of those
type of hinge have the pin crimped every few inches after it is assembled
so that it should not fall out, since they are meant to be able to be cut to
the size needed if the standard sizes do not meet your need. Another
response was, that if you want to be definitely sure the pin won't fall out,
then take a hammer and crimp the pin, on what will be the top of the
hinge as it is mounted, by slightly flattening the end of the pin in the
top hinge piece, just enough so that it can't slide down. No need to squash
it severely.

One thing I need to mention: The Hurricane Hinge is different from a 'piano'
or 'continuous' hinge. It is designed to prevent water leaks through the
hinge itself. And 'piano' or 'continuous' hinges will always leak. They need
to have some kind of a sealing system used on the door or hatch that they are
used to mount, to prevent water leakage.

May I suggest some things:

Please give a short introduction to yourself in the "Newbies, Introduce yourselves"
section. http://tnttt.com/viewforum.php?f=40 It is interesting to interact with
others from other lands and find out about their camping experiences and ways .

Also, any questions on construction related matters would probably get more responses
in the "Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques" section http://tnttt.com/viewforum.php?f=21 as it is more frequently viewed than this thread on tools is viewed.

Plus, I would recommend typing your posts in your native language, French, and then
use some kind of translation method from the web to get it into English, and then copy and
paste that translation to English of your post below your original posting in French. That
would make it easier to get your comments and questions across. Since I use Google Chrome
as a browser, I'll use Google Translate to do this for my post here.

Have fun planning and building.

Cheers,
Norm/mezmo

TRANSLATION:

Salut bywil45/Wilhem ,

Bienvenue sur le forum ! Il accueille tous ceux qui aiment touchés et TTT et
le camping de n'importe où dans le monde .

Je me demandais aussi comment la broche est toujours resté dans un "piano"
[ Terme américain pour eux ] ou charnière "continu" , aussi.

J'ai googlé cette question , et la réponse semble être que tous ceux
type de charnière ont la broche sertie de quelques pouces après il est assemblé
de sorte qu'il ne doit pas tomber, car ils sont conçus pour être capable d'être coupé à
la taille nécessaire si les tailles standard ne répondent pas à vos besoins . autre
réponse a été que si vous voulez être vraiment sûr l'axe ne tombe pas ,
puis prendre un marteau et sertir la broche , sur ce que sera le haut de la
Charnière comme il est monté, en aplatissant légèrement le bout de la broche dans l'
la pièce supérieure de la charnière , juste assez pour qu'il ne puisse pas glisser vers le bas . Pas besoin d' écraser
il sévèrement.

Une chose que je dois mentionner : L' ouragan charnière est différent d'un « piano»
ou charnière "continu" . Il est conçu pour éviter les fuites d'eau à travers la
se charnière . Et « piano» ou «continue» charnières seront toujours des fuites . ils ont besoin
d'avoir une sorte d'un système d'étanchéité utilisé sur la porte ou trappe qui sont
utilisé pour monter , pour éviter toute fuite d'eau .

Puis-je suggérer certaines choses :

S'il vous plaît donner une brève introduction pour vous dans les " débutants , Présentez- vous "
section . http://tnttt.com/viewforum.php?f=40 Il est intéressant d'interagir avec
d'autres venant d'autres pays et de connaître leurs expériences de camping et les moyens .

En outre, des questions sur des sujets liés à la construction seraient probablement obtenir plus de réponses
dans la section " Teardrop Construction Conseils et techniques " http://tnttt.com/viewforum.php?f=21 comme il est plus souvent considéré que ce fil sur les outils est consulté .

De plus, je vous recommande de taper vos messages dans votre langue maternelle , le français , puis
utiliser une sorte de méthode de conversion du Web pour obtenir en anglais , puis copier et
coller que la traduction vers l'anglais de votre post ci-dessous votre commentaire original en français . que
il serait plus facile d'obtenir vos commentaires et questions à travers. Depuis que j'utilise Google Chrome
comme un navigateur , je vais utiliser Google Translate pour faire cela pour mon post ici .

Ayez l'amusement et la planification bâtiment.

Vive ,
Norm / mezmo
If you have a house - you have a hobby.
mezmo
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Andrew Herrick » Tue Sep 20, 2016 12:26 am

I won't reiterate the excellent advice given before me, but here are a few more tips for a beginner's tool kit that includes some TIMESAVER tools!

1) Chip brushes! Don't waste money on high-end paint brushes. Depending on your chosen construction methods, you might be working with asphalt cement, polyurethane glue, wallpaper adhesive, oil-based stains and sealants, latex primers and paints, epoxy resins and hardeners, metal polish, etc., and there's no way you can get all that gunk off. You can get a set of chip brushes for $0.25/brush. Trade off is you won't get professional grade finishes.

2) You can never own enough squeeze clamps. Never!

3) If you only use a jigsaw, invest in a good set of blades like Bosch Progressor (for wood). Dewalt makes good blades, too. And using ultra-fine-tooth blades for circular saws will save you hours of sanding rough cross-cuts.

4) I use a lot of self-drilling or self-tapping screws, either Torx deck screws or sheet metal screws. Again, great timesaver, and it saves your shoulder muscles if you're trying to place a screw in an awkward place.

5) If you sand a lot of sheet goods, get a 1/4-sheet sander instead of a mouse sander. Velcro-backed mouse sandpaper is so darn expensive that the 1/4-sheet palm sander will pay for itself in a build or two because it uses cheap sandpaper.

Hope that helps! Good luck, and enjoy the road!
A few of my builds:

ImageImageImageImage

SEE MORE AT: boondockcampers.com
Andrew Herrick
The 300 Club

Postby kfh227 » Sat Aug 29, 2020 8:18 pm

Some things everyone should jsut do.

Don't get one tape measure. Buy like 5. And get the bright green or orange ones that are easy to spot. No longer spend 10 minutes searhcing for your only tape measure.

Get two cordless drills. One for drilling pilot bits and one for sinking screws. Trust me, you'll get sick of switching bits all the time.

And the largest shop vac you can find (rated 5 horsepower and up).
kfh227
Teardrop Inspector

Previous

Return to Essential Information about building teardrops