What to Look for in an Old Trailer?

Important Information and Stickies...
(Threads with essential information about building teardrops)

Barn find only not in barn

Postby lytle1gw » Tue Dec 27, 2011 7:11 am

Have been seeing a teardrop sitting out in the bushes for years (40). Think I need to go and see if its for sale or if its even worth buying the frame to use. Sitting out in the weather for so long probably has ate it up. :cry:
lytle1gw
Teardrop Inspector

Postby honeask » Tue Dec 27, 2011 7:18 am

Welcome aboard and ya never know, it might be worth a look see.
Sandy

We're not here for a long time, just here for a good time.
The stars at night are big and bright, (clap) (clap) (clap) (clap) DEEP IN THE HEART OF TEXAS.
honeask
Donating Member

Re: What to Look for in an Old Trailer?

Postby Verna » Fri Mar 02, 2012 7:42 pm

OK, there's an ad for a used wooden TD. I talked to the original owner last year. She told me there was water damage to both sides of the TD near the roof. She said the water damage was only on the exterior.

It's listed for the 2nd time by the new owner. She says there's only water damage on one side and that she has fixed it. It's the same ad that she used last fall. I wonder where she has stored it over the winter, since she says her husband won't let her store it in the garage.

If it's a wooden (plywood) TD, how would water damage be fixed on the outside?

What should I be looking for, as far as other damage, or this water damage?

Is a wooden TD really for me if I have no where to store it inside? I have no problem with getting a good cover, but it would still be stored outside.

Should I just forget about this wooden one and just look for an aluminum TD?

Thanks in advance for your advice.
Verna
Indianapolis, IN
Verna
Gold Donating Member

Re: What to Look for in an Old Trailer?

Postby Maureenm » Fri Mar 02, 2012 9:33 pm

Hi Verna, I presume it is the potter county one to which you are referring..not sure about what she means by having "fixed" the water damage, but... I have a plywood tear that has been painted with exterior house paint and with a little guy teardrop cover, has survived the last (at least 4) winters okay. The gal I purchased it from did not have a garage and neither do I. I just bought it last summer and had a galley leak to fix (which I think I have done successfully). We are very wet here in the northwest, but don't have some of the other extremes you might. It seems like a decent price and if you could check it out in person, might be worth it. Maybe a good paint job will help it last and it doesn't appear to have a lot of wood details that are better left bare for aesthetics. Good luck !
Maureen
Maureenm
Donating Member

Previous

Return to Essential Information about building teardrops