Safety check

Important Information and Stickies...
(Threads with essential information about building teardrops)

Re: Safety check

Postby Shadow Catcher » Fri Apr 27, 2012 8:36 pm

The one thing not discussed here is the adjustment of the coupler! There is a nut under there and this DOES need to be adjusted for a tight fit. As many of you know this bit me and if you do not this can happen to you.

I will be changing to a Bulldog coupler
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Postby Shadow Catcher » Wed Oct 17, 2012 5:06 am

Since this was last posted one other item as a safety concern has come up. Evidently there have been instances where "kids" (doesn't matter what age) have removed the hitch pin from the tow vehicle draw bar and waited around to watch the fun. We found this out from friends who had this happen. A locking hitch pin is the obvious answer.
Compass Rose was fully repaired and a Bulldog coupler used, much more secure.
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Postby mechmagcn » Wed Nov 28, 2012 6:31 pm

Shadow Catcher wrote:Since this was last posted one other item as a safety concern has come up. Evidently there have been instances where "kids" (doesn't matter what age) have removed the hitch pin from the tow vehicle draw bar and waited around to watch the fun. We found this out from friends who had this happen. A locking hitch pin is the obvious answer.

Had that happen in Carmacks YT during my AK trip this spring, had stopped for fuel and groceries and pulled out without checking the hitch, got about 2 miles down the road when I hit my brakes to make a turn it felt like I was hit from behind, the culprit was my own teardrop! The receiver hitch had slid almost all the way out and it slammed in when I hit the brakes :shock: I know someone had pulled it because both safety chains had been unhooked from the bumper and hung on the upper frame rail of the trailer :x I want to see someone pull my pin now, it is a 1/2'' bolt, double nutted with a nylock nut on the outside :twisted:
Jeff & Micki
53 F100
Mercedes turbo diesel
Teardrop "finished" as if they ever are
You can never be lost if you don't care where you are going!
mechmagcn
Donating Member

Postby bearfromobx » Sun Apr 07, 2013 4:14 pm

Never reuse the lockwasher when you remove or loosen the ball!!! Until I replaced my receiver ball assembly with a welded 3-way (three balls of different sizes), I kept a spare nut and lock washer in my truck's toolbox. Damage or wear to either cam allow the ball to get loose. Even if you have a welded receiver, take a look at the welds for cracks, rust or separation; they can come apart too! :shock:
Just an overeducated Redneck with a love of learnin' ...
bearfromobx
Teardrop Builder

Postby bearfromobx » Sun Apr 07, 2013 4:16 pm

mechmagcn wrote:
Shadow Catcher wrote:Since this was last posted one other item as a safety concern has come up. Evidently there have been instances where "kids" (doesn't matter what age) have removed the hitch pin from the tow vehicle draw bar and waited around to watch the fun. We found this out from friends who had this happen. A locking hitch pin is the obvious answer.

Had that happen in Carmacks YT during my AK trip this spring, had stopped for fuel and groceries and pulled out without checking the hitch, got about 2 miles down the road when I hit my brakes to make a turn it felt like I was hit from behind, the culprit was my own teardrop! The receiver hitch had slid almost all the way out and it slammed in when I hit the brakes :shock: I know someone had pulled it because both safety chains had been unhooked from the bumper and hung on the upper frame rail of the trailer :x I want to see someone pull my pin now, it is a 1/2'' bolt, double nutted with a nylock nut on the outside :twisted:

Grade 8 please???
Just an overeducated Redneck with a love of learnin' ...
bearfromobx
Teardrop Builder

Postby vanderhoof57 » Sat Aug 17, 2013 11:34 am

Good idea to check those things! One suggestion is to acquire an additional nut and jamb it up to the original one. It will never come loose!
I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.
E. B. White (1899 - 1985)
vanderhoof57
Teardrop Inspector

Postby MarkusMasonis » Thu Feb 05, 2015 1:52 am

Yup -- it's easy to think a guy is being paranoid ... but it's probably because he's been burned in the past by all of the things he's checking! ;)
MarkusMasonis
Teardrop Inspector

Postby SSTear » Thu Jan 07, 2016 2:47 pm

Euro Style Tow Bar

SSTear
Teardrop Builder

Previous

Return to Essential Information about building teardrops