Oklahoma Licence Tags

Important Information and Stickies...
(Threads with essential information about building teardrops)

Re: Oklahoma Licence Tags

Postby StPatron » Wed Jul 09, 2014 12:14 pm

Thanks for the follow-up, Dave. And, congratulations on your new tag. It's a huge relief to have that out of the way. I goofed on the $14, you are correct, it was $7.
StPatron
Donating Member

Postby aggie79 » Thu Jul 10, 2014 4:41 pm

Dave, I'm glad you got your tags!

Gary, It is good to see you back on the forum.

Take care,
Tom
Tom (& Linda)
For build info on our former Silver Beatle teardrop:
Build Thread

aggie79
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Postby StPatron » Sun Aug 17, 2014 2:08 pm

My apologies for the late reply, Tom. Hoping to be back before too long. Dew says hi to you and Linda!
StPatron
Donating Member

Postby Cliffmeister2000 » Mon Dec 22, 2014 6:36 am

I hate SPAM!
:stompspam:
God Bless

Cliff

♥God. ♥People.
1 John 4:9-11

My Teardrop build pictures
Cliffmeister2000
Titanium Donating Member

Postby DWT77 » Thu Jul 20, 2017 8:28 pm

I know this is an old thread but I found it very informative. I wanted to add to it since I recently got my tag.

I called one of the tag agency's in Norman and knew that it could go either way with the conversation. I said am wanting to get a Private Trailer Tag for my utility trailer.

The lady helping me said I need a VIN#, title ect. I said it is a home built utility trailer I don't have one. She thought for a second and said well bring in some pictures receipts ect.. and we can get you a tag. I said and then you will give me a tag and VIN#? She said no we don't give those out you have to get one from the tax commission. I could see this was going to be a running in circles conversation. I just said ok and thank you.

I then called another tag agency in Norman. I said am wanting to get a Private Trailer Tag for my utility trailer. She asked for the VIN# and I said it is a home built trailer. She said ok just come in and sign an affidavit that you built it and we will assign it a serial number (VIN#) They use the year,Julian date, and a few other number to come up with your VIN#. I asked do I need to bring any receipts or pictures? She said nope just $13 and sign the paperwork and that's it. I walked in did the paperwork and was out of there in about 10 minutes. So it just breaks down to getting the right place that has done them before.

I will add the tags are good for one year and are renewed whenever you have the need. I asked how does that work. She said well if you aren't traveling out of state again until 2020 then you can come in and renew it before you leave. There is no penalty on these tags so just whenever you need to get them renewed. I will be taking the teardrop out of state every year so pretty much $13 a year to renew.
DWT77
The 300 Club

Postby Rednecknerd » Wed Aug 02, 2017 9:50 am

DWT77 wrote:I know this is an old thread but I found it very informative. I wanted to add to it since I recently got my tag.

I will add the tags are good for one year and are renewed whenever you have the need. I asked how does that work. She said well if you aren't traveling out of state again until 2020 then you can come in and renew it before you leave. There is no penalty on these tags so just whenever you need to get them renewed. I will be taking the teardrop out of state every year so pretty much $13 a year to renew.

New member here just starting my journey. Thanks for the updated information!
Rednecknerd
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Toytaco2 » Wed Aug 02, 2017 8:15 pm

It's crazy easy to get a tag here in Oklahoma as compared to the horror stories we hear from other states. My camper is built on an HF frame so I had a VIN number to start with so it was even easier. I only got the tag so I can take the camper out of state without a hassle. Hope you enjoy the web site.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Toytaco2
500 Club

Postby paintm4u » Mon Aug 28, 2017 7:51 pm

Here in Kansas we don't have to tag a personal trailer under 2000 lbs. I have pulled my teardrop thru Nebraska, Wyoming, Colorado, Montana, Oklahoma and utah with no questions asked. I was once in New Mexico several years back pulling an empty utility trailer and was stopped for no tag. The officer told me I should have stopped at the Port of Entry and registered my trailer. I disputed this with him and a supervisor was called and calls were made to verify and it turns out that states have what are called reciprocal agreements so if you are legal in the state your car is tagged in your are legal in the state you are passing thru. No ticket and the officers were educated a long with me. This came in handy later in Nebraska for the same thing. So if you are legal where your tow vehicle is tagged you are legal anywhere.
paintm4u
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Donatello1 » Fri Mar 11, 2022 5:27 pm

Thank you for the lake full of muddy waters.
Donatello1
Teardrop Inspector

Previous

Return to Essential Information about building teardrops