Oklahoma Licence Tags

Important Information and Stickies...
(Threads with essential information about building teardrops)

Oklahoma Licence Tags

Postby Ivar the Red » Mon May 10, 2010 6:10 pm

For those of you here in the Sooner State...I have a little info for you that may save you a trip to the tag office. I had some questions, and when I got the answered today I thought I'd pass it along...
On our "utility trailers" we don't need to have it tagged, unless it is used for a business. But of course that state to the south of us, and I'm sure others too, does require a tag on utility trailers. I'm sure at some point we will all camp out of state and just to save having to tell another state's officer our laws...we can purchase a "private trailer" tag. The lady at the desk said they were $7.56 and renewable yearly...but carry no late penalties.
Hope this helps.
:thumbsup:
Johnny
BUILD THREAD
Winning is not a sometime thing; it's an all time thing. You don't win once in a while, you don't do things right once in a while, you do them right all the time. Winning is habit. Unfortunately, so is losing. - Vince Lombardi
ImageImageImage
Ivar the Red
HOME RUN TILT

Re: Oklahoma Licence Tags

Postby planovet » Mon May 10, 2010 6:21 pm

Ivar the Red wrote:For those of you here in the Sooner State...I have a little info for you that may save you a trip to the tag office. I had some questions, and when I got the answered today I thought I'd pass it along...
On our "utility trailers" we don't need to have it tagged, unless it is used for a business. But of course that state to the south of us, and I'm sure others too, does require a tag on utility trailers. I'm sure at some point we will all camp out of state and just to save having to tell another state's officer our laws...we can purchase a "private trailer" tag. The lady at the desk said they were $7.56 and renewable yearly...but carry no late penalties.
Hope this helps.

I think $7.56 is worth it. Saves the hassle of being stopped in that state "to the south" of you. I stopped a guy towing a horse trailer once because it had no tags. Turns out he was from OK and didn't need them. I let him go but others might not and even if they do it's a hassle being stopped by the po-po.
ImageMark (& Cindi)
Visit our website: Little Swiss Teardrop

I was wondering why the water balloon was getting bigger... and then it hit me.

ImageImageImageImage
planovet
The Cat Man

Postby Ivar the Red » Mon May 10, 2010 6:55 pm

^^^That's the exact kind of hassle I'm talking about. I'll have a "Private Trailer" tag on mine for the trip to Palo Duro this weekend.
:thumbsup:

Not that your profession are a bunch of hasslers...didn't mean it that way Mark.
:oops:
Johnny
BUILD THREAD
Winning is not a sometime thing; it's an all time thing. You don't win once in a while, you don't do things right once in a while, you do them right all the time. Winning is habit. Unfortunately, so is losing. - Vince Lombardi
ImageImageImage
Ivar the Red
HOME RUN TILT

Postby oklahomajewel » Tue May 11, 2010 8:48 am

I never got a license plate on mine or had any vanity tag etc... Drove it in OK , and also to TX, LA, AR, KS and MO but never got stopped or asked about not having a tag.
Some things are way over my head !! ...but it keeps me looking UP!
oklahomajewel
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby planovet » Tue May 11, 2010 9:24 am

Ivar the Red wrote:Not that your profession are a bunch of hasslers...didn't mean it that way Mark.

I know what you mean. I've been stopped many times and it IS a hassle. But my stops are relatively short once they see the shiny piece of metal in my wallet :lol:
ImageMark (& Cindi)
Visit our website: Little Swiss Teardrop

I was wondering why the water balloon was getting bigger... and then it hit me.

ImageImageImageImage
planovet
The Cat Man

Postby Toytaco2 » Tue May 11, 2010 6:11 pm

This is interesting. My tag agent told me I couldn't tag a utility trailer in Oklahoma and that I should carry a copy of the state's utility trailer rules with me if I go out of state. What do the tags look like and what size are they? Do you have yours yet. I'd love to see a pic once you have it so I can show it to my tag agent. Maybe then I could get one too.

Mike
Toytaco2
500 Club

Postby Ivar the Red » Tue May 11, 2010 10:26 pm

Mike...I'm picking it up on the way outta town to Palo Duro on Thurday. I'll get a pic of it and post it here when we get back.
Johnny
BUILD THREAD
ImageImageImage
Ivar the Red
HOME RUN TILT

Postby StPatron » Fri May 14, 2010 12:52 pm

Interesting info and yet another interpretation of OK law.

I have tried chasing this down numerous times, most recently back in January, first with my tag agent and then with the state tax commission. The final word I received from the OTC was that "teardrop trailers" must be tagged as a travel trailer. On a new build you must present receipts for materials purchased and fees are assessed in addition to the plate cost.

A year ago I was told by the OTC that a travel trailer was defined as having a galley and bathroom. Had to have both.

Seems to depend on who you talk to. Very frustrating to say the least.
StPatron
Donating Member

Postby Ivar the Red » Sun May 16, 2010 7:03 pm

Toytaco2 wrote:This is interesting. My tag agent told me I couldn't tag a utility trailer in Oklahoma and that I should carry a copy of the state's utility trailer rules with me if I go out of state. What do the tags look like and what size are they? Do you have yours yet. I'd love to see a pic once you have it so I can show it to my tag agent. Maybe then I could get one too.

Mike

Here ya go...

Same size as a plate on a car. No questions asked...no info offered other then it's a small utility trailer. I would think this would work for an actual teardrop as well, especially a home-built.
Johnny
BUILD THREAD
ImageImageImage
Ivar the Red
HOME RUN TILT

Postby Ivar the Red » Tue May 18, 2010 7:43 pm

Oh and i almost forgot to mention...from Amarillo, TX to Elk City, OK (150 miles or so) averaged about 75 MPH. The whole trip was at highway speeds for the most part...and the 8" Harbor Freight wheels/hubs never even got warm. With all the HF questions out there lately, I thought I would add my 2 cents.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Johnny
BUILD THREAD
ImageImageImage
Ivar the Red
HOME RUN TILT

Postby Toytaco2 » Sat May 22, 2010 5:44 pm

Thanks Johnny, as soon as I finish getting over yesterday's widsom tooth surgery, I'll be off to my tag agent with this pic. I'll feel better having a tag when I go out of state even though I'm supposedly legal now.

Mike
Toytaco2
500 Club

Postby alffink » Thu May 27, 2010 10:26 am

Mike

I'm in Calif. and have had no contact with OK, tag agents?
But over the last few years of listening/reading to similar threads I have come to conclusion that most states have very similar laws as to what a travel trailer is by weight and that it will have both a kitchen and a bath.

The tear has neither, so try not to explain what a Tear is, go by the weight and just call it an enclosed utility trailer, and if asked, you store your camping gear in it.

Just keep it simple, use single syllabel words, you should be just fine.
I have heard of no state that has a category for a TearDrop, so don't try to to explain, it will only confuse.
alffink
Donating Member

Postby PhotoGuy » Tue Aug 03, 2010 10:42 pm

planovet wrote:
Ivar the Red wrote:Not that your profession are a bunch of hasslers...didn't mean it that way Mark.

I know what you mean. I've been stopped many times and it IS a hassle. But my stops are relatively short once they see the shiny piece of metal in my wallet :lol:

:) my Dad is a retired officer here in Ontario. He has been out for 11 years now and has a " retired officer badge" in his wallet.. its still funny to see the look he gets when he pulls it out
PhotoGuy
Teardrop Master

Postby starleen2 » Tue Apr 19, 2011 10:20 am

PhotoGuy wrote:
planovet wrote:

:) my Dad is a retired officer here in Ontario. He has been out for 11 years now and has a " retired officer badge" in his wallet.. its still funny to see the look he gets when he pulls it out

So Am I to read this as "a get out of a ticket free" thing? If you are an officer of the law - retired, active, reserve - then you should know the law and follow it accordingly. Next time don't show off your badge and pay your fine like the rest of us! :thinking:
starleen2
5th Teardrop Club

Postby eamarquardt » Tue Apr 19, 2011 10:38 am

starleen2 wrote:................................then you should know the law and follow it accordingly...........................

Everyone should "play" this way. Particularly when it comes to trailer brakes. Meeting one of the law's requirements doesn't mean you meet all of them and if you leave your state (where you may or may not be legal) you must meet the requirements of the states you travel through.

Better safe than hassled or sorry.

Cheers,

Gus
The opinions in this post are my own. My comments are directed to those that might like an alternative approach to those already espoused.There is the right way,the wrong way,the USMC way, your way, my way, and the highway.
"I'm impatient with stupidity. My people have learned to live without it." Klaatu-"The Day the Earth Stood Still"
"You can't handle the truth!"-Jack Nicholson "A Few Good Men"
"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. The Marines don't have that problem"-Ronald Reagan
eamarquardt
Silver Donating Member

Next

Return to Essential Information about building teardrops