Oklahoma Licence Tags

Important Information and Stickies...
(Threads with essential information about building teardrops)

Postby caseydog » Tue Apr 19, 2011 12:12 pm

Ruh-roh! We have a couple of shakey wheels. We may have derailment coming. :o :lol:

CD

My build journal is HERE
caseydog
Platinum Donating Member

Postby ARKPAT » Tue Apr 19, 2011 12:36 pm

Yep; if you add water / shower / bathroom or plumbing to your trailer then you fall under "Travel Trailer" rules in most states. In Arkansas if it has none of the above then you can register it as a "Utility Trailer" and a choice of yearly tags or permanent tags ( $35 ).

Oklahoma DMV Website

Wow what a read ! :cry:

:thinking:

:worship:

:shock:

:(

Oh well.

:thumbsup:

Pat
Life is to short always eat dessert first.
ARKPAT
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby D Cat » Tue Apr 26, 2011 10:31 am

ARKPAT wrote:Yep; if you add water / shower / bathroom or plumbing to your trailer then you fall under "Travel Trailer" rules in most states. In Arkansas if it has none of the above then you can register it as a "Utility Trailer" and a choice of yearly tags or permanent tags ( $35 ).

Oklahoma DMV Website

Wow what a read ! :cry:

:thinking:

:worship:

:shock:

:(

Oh well.

:thumbsup:

Pat

Pat, did you just go tell the tag office that you had a utility trailer? How much were the permanent tags? Are both $35? I will be tagging my homebuilt tear later this year and was just making sure. I'm also in arkansas. Magazine to be exact.

thanks,
Daymond
D Cat
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Cliffmeister2000 » Tue Apr 26, 2011 11:38 am

In Arizona, how you have to register seems to depend on who is working and what their knowledge level is. Mine is registered as a camper, and costs me $28 for 2 years, as I recall. I have since found that I should have been able to get a permanent plate, due to the no plumbing, etc.
God Bless

Cliff

♥God. ♥People.
1 John 4:9-11

My Teardrop build pictures
Cliffmeister2000
Titanium Donating Member

Postby StPatron » Mon Nov 07, 2011 12:03 am

I realize this is an old thread but I have some details that might be helpful. I recently went through the process.

In Oklahoma there are two related tags, one or the other is required for a teardrop or tiny travel trailer. Teardrops fall into the category as being used for recreational use and are therefore not exempt (ala utility trailers).

Travel trailer tag.
You must send an application to the Oklahoma Tax Commission, tag agents are not authorized. Included in your application will be:
a. The notarized application form.
b. All receipts for items purchased.
c. Hard-copy pictures of your build. Computer disk pics are not acceptable.
d. Title for the chassis or MSO. If you build your own chassis, receipts for the steel, axle and hubs are required.

Process time will take from 10 days to 2 weeks. You will be assessed excise tax for any items you didn't pay in-state sales tax on (online purchases, etc.) You will also pay an application fee and a fee for title generation. The OTC will return your items via snail mail and upon payment of fees at the tag agent, you will be issued a title and travel trailer tag. Registration for the first year is, if I remember correctly, $91. After five years it drops $10/yr.

Private Trailer tag.
This can be obtained at any authorized tag agent. You do not have to take the trailer for visual inspection. You will be questioned regarding any existing numbers stamped on the chassis or if you have an MSO (manufacturer's statement of origin). If you have an owner-built chassis a number will be issued. You are required to stamp that number onto the tongue. No receipts needed, no pics needed. Cost is $7 for the tag, renewed yearly.

With the travel trailer tag, you get a title. With the private trailer tag, you don't.
StPatron
Donating Member

Re: Oklahoma Licence Tags

Postby BettyOKLPN » Sun Dec 30, 2012 8:22 pm

I've wondered about this since I'm in OK but have family in KS that I like to visit when I can.
BettyOKLPN
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Twister » Wed Jan 02, 2013 2:32 pm

Betty, if I understand right, Kansas is by weight, under 2000 lbs and it doesnt have to have tags, either. So from OK to KS, you'll be fine.
Twister
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Starseeker » Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:22 am

You would think that with all of the specialty tags that we have in this state, we should be able to demand a TD specialty tag. The proceeds can go towards Teardrop Awareness so that we don't get ran over by those rolling McManshions that people call RV's these days. :D
Aaron
KF5VBV
Starseeker
Teardrop Builder

Postby pyro22487 » Wed Apr 30, 2014 1:14 am

So this was a good read. Most people have told me it is a utility trailer as I have no galley or bathroom. But to avoid the out of state hassle I think I will get the 7$ tag once I have the plate I probably won't get hassled anyways...
pyro22487
Teardrop Builder

Postby coyote » Sun Jun 15, 2014 3:15 pm

Well, went down to tag agent last week. "They " said either $70 bucks for 1 time tag, or no tag it was up to me. I had title and told them it was a teardrop used for camping. Concerned response was " $70 bucks or 0, what do you want to do".
Where did you go Gary? Back when we built hot rods you just kept asking different tag agents until you got the answer you liked and used that agent. I might have missed heard, but I asked twice...same, 70.
Been about 1500 miles so far and no questions asked, even with the dastardly blue dot tail lights! Dave
coyote
Titanium Donating Member

Postby StPatron » Sun Jun 15, 2014 3:51 pm

I'm in Okla City, don't have any suggestions for Tulsa area, sorry. Probably will have to hunt around until you locate someone who knows what they are doing, took me two trips to the Tax Commission offices and then three agents. If you don't care about keeping the camper titled, I'd suggest you just ask to purchase a "Private Trailer" tag, no more. Don't mention the title. Don't mention it is a home-built, camper or travel trailer.... that only complicates matters. Really complicates matters. :lol:

If you mention you have a title, then they assume you want to keep the camper titled. If so, get out the checkbook. If you are not interested in maintaining the current title or getting a new title issued, then the much cheaper "Private Trailer" tag is what you want.

The only information about the trailer they will ask is: Does the frame have a VIN# stamped on it? If yours does, you will want to have that number written down so they can use that for identification purposes (in case of theft). If you don't have an existing VIN# (as in home-built frame) they will issue you a VIN# that you will need to stamp on. The purpose of that process is for theft identification. If you later report your trailer stolen that will be the number match they will attempt to make.

Good luck and please report your experiences.
StPatron
Donating Member

Postby coyote » Sun Jun 15, 2014 10:17 pm

Thank you. I will let ya know how it goes. Dave
coyote
Titanium Donating Member

Postby NanMc » Tue Jul 08, 2014 5:09 pm

I am looking at buying a used teardrop...called 2 tag agents and the OTC here in Oklahoma today...all tell me that all travel trailers have to be tagged.
Person I am buying from said they do not, a 2010 and has never been tagged. vin # is not in system...........
NanMc
Teardrop Inspector

Postby StPatron » Tue Jul 08, 2014 6:30 pm

That is correct, ALL travel trailers in the State of Oklahoma must be tagged with a travel trailer tag. That includes 5th wheels, classic canned hams, the fiberglass behemoths, canvas pop-ups, Airstreams, etc. If you call either a state-licensed tag agent or go directly to the OTC offices on Lincoln and ask to tag a travel trailer, or describe it as a camping trailer, or a trailer you can sleep in... they will assume you need a travel trailer tag.

The question is: Is a teardrop a travel trailer? Some will claim it is, some won't. Some will claim that if you can sleep in it... then, it's a travel trailer. Some will claim that if you can cook in it.... then, it's a travel trailer. Some will claim that if it has anything remotely resembling a bathroom... then, it's a travel trailer. Some will say that if it has a temporary porta-potty in it... then, it's not a travel trailer. The potty has to be permanently affixed to the structure. I went down that road and round more bends and more bends until I got dizzy, threw up my hands and gave up. Even the Oklahoma Tax Commission couldn't tell me the definition details. Nor would they allow me to read their rules and regulations. To this day I believe it remains a grey area that is subject to interpretation.

Funny story: When first pursuing this I had a local tag agent tell me that if my trailer was designed for the purpose of recreation then it was a recreational vehicle that required a travel trailer tag! So.. I inquired about my dog boxes. I asked, "If I load my quail hunting dogs, in their transport boxes, onto a utility trailer for the purpose of transporting them to the field to participate in recreational shooting and hunting... was I required to now tag the utility trailer as an RV? Wish I would have had my camera, the facial expression was priceless. :lol:

Bottom line: We Okies have three options.

a) Purchase a travel trailer tag. This is the most expensive of the options and includes many bureaucratic hoops to jump through especially if it's homebuilt. The advantage is you carry a legal title of ownership. That may carry insurance implications, not sure.

b) Purchase a personal trailer tag. This tag was designed for those wishing to display a plate on any type of trailer that isn't required by law to display a plate. In Oklahoma, that includes boat trailers, lawn equipment trailers, etc. Details are outlined above in this thread. Go to a tag agent with VIN # in hand, request a "Personal Trailer" tag, pay them the $14 or so and walk out with a plate and sticker.

c) Go naked! Plate-wise that is...
Personally, I believe your risk of getting stopped on the highway is greater. Why risk it for $14? If traveling in Oklahoma only, you may be overlooked due to the lax tagging practice here. If traveling out of state, risk is probably higher.

Note: This is not legal advice, I'm not an attorney. It is just a summary of my personal experiences.
StPatron
Donating Member

Postby coyote » Wed Jul 09, 2014 11:47 am

:? I just got my tag. Just to add some more to the confusion...I asked for, and received, a private trailer tag. $7.00 per year renewable annually. I asked about a 1 time tag. The lady said " Do you pull with a commercial vehicle?" "No" I said. "Well, hon, you'd have to get your checkbook out for that one, and you don't need it." ( getting old enough the lady's call me hon!) :lol: At the same time she gave me a copy of the Okla. State law that says a tag is not required. ( which is mute at this point) She said in case I get stopped out of state. Just keep it with me. So, now we have, yet, one more version! But I'd rather spend the 7 than get stopped even one time. Thanks everyone for the help in this maze! Truth also is, I've seen so much change, I'd like to be grandfathered in, just in case. OK, won't date ya too much, but who remembers "Liquor by the wink" .......oops, I mean "Liquor by the drink?" Dave coyote
coyote
Titanium Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Essential Information about building teardrops