Sources for Canadian Builders

Important Information and Stickies...
(Threads with essential information about building teardrops)

Re: Sources for Canadian Builders

Postby Guntr » Wed Jul 03, 2013 3:50 pm

A buddy was thinking of getting a Harbor Freight or Northern Tool trailer kit. Called Canada Customs and they had no issue with us hauling a boxed trailer kit back across the border.

Then just register it as a home made trailer, which is more or less true.
Not so tiny, but a lot of work: http://mytraveltrailerrestoration.blogspot.com/
Guntr
Teardrop Builder

Postby legojenn » Wed Jul 03, 2013 5:54 pm

Guntr wrote:A buddy was thinking of getting a Harbor Freight or Northern Tool trailer kit. Called Canada Customs and they had no issue with us hauling a boxed trailer kit back across the border.

I would be careful with that approach. I am assuming that you meant Canada Border Services when you mentioned Canada Customs. I am surprised that they did not refer you to the Registrar of Imported Vehicles for further information. Unless things have changed in the past three years, there is a process that you must go through when importing trailer after declaring the purchase to the Canada Border Services when you return to Canada. It involves paying a fee, filling in some forms and then bringing the trailer for inspection at a Canadian Tire after its assembled. I imported a Harbor Freight Trailer and was required to go through the RIV song and dance. The RIV fee was more than the trailer cost and the process is ridiculous for a bunch of pre-cut and drilled pieces of metal, fittings, screws, axle, tires and the rest of the goodies that make a trailer, but it's the law. The chances of getting caught are next to nothing, but I wouldn't want to have to deal with a cop or MTO Officer on a traffic stop or an insurance dude after an accident without papers in order. For $225, you get the federal Department of Transportation and provincial Ministry of Transport/SAAQ/ICBC or equivalent stamps of approval to drag the thing on our highways. It'll still be cheaper than it would cost to buy or have made here.
Jenn
legojenn
The 300 Club

Postby julesap » Wed Jul 03, 2013 6:17 pm

legojenn wrote:
Guntr wrote:A buddy was thinking of getting a Harbor Freight or Northern Tool trailer kit. Called Canada Customs and they had no issue with us hauling a boxed trailer kit back across the border.

I would be careful with that approach. I am assuming that you meant Canada Border Services when you mentioned Canada Customs. I am surprised that they did not refer you to the Registrar of Imported Vehicles for further information. Unless things have changed in the past three years, there is a process that you must go through when importing trailer after declaring the purchase to the Canada Border Services when you return to Canada. It involves paying a fee, filling in some forms and then bringing the trailer for inspection at a Canadian Tire after its assembled. I imported a Harbor Freight Trailer and was required to go through the RIV song and dance. The RIV fee was more than the trailer cost and the process is ridiculous for a bunch of pre-cut and drilled pieces of metal, fittings, screws, axle, tires and the rest of the goodies that make a trailer, but it's the law. The chances of getting caught are next to nothing, but I wouldn't want to have to deal with a cop or MTO Officer on a traffic stop or an insurance dude after an accident without papers in order. For $225, you get the federal Department of Transportation and provincial Ministry of Transport/SAAQ/ICBC or equivalent stamps of approval to drag the thing on our highways. It'll still be cheaper than it would cost to buy or have made here.

Hey Jenn, it is different in every province. In NS once you have it built, you have to fill out some paperwork and then they send out someone from the registry of motor vehicles to inspect it and then you can register is as normal. There is a $50 fee for the inspection but that is it.
julesap
Teardrop Inspector

Postby legojenn » Wed Jul 03, 2013 6:54 pm

Jules, you still need to deal with the feds when you import a trailer. Once you get the RIV inspection and sticker, then you deal with the province to register it.
Jenn
legojenn
The 300 Club

Postby julesap » Wed Jul 03, 2013 7:06 pm

legojenn wrote:Jules, you still need to deal with the feds when you import a trailer. Once you get the RIV inspection and sticker, then you deal with the province to register it.

hahaha, I should have known that you would have had the Federal issue checked out. Silly me!! When is Orville starting your build?
julesap
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Guntr » Thu Jul 04, 2013 6:51 am

legojenn wrote:I would be careful with that approach. I am assuming that you meant Canada Border Services when you mentioned Canada Customs. I am surprised that they did not refer you to the Registrar of Imported Vehicles for further information. Unless things have changed in the past three years, there is a process that you must go through when importing trailer after declaring the purchase to the Canada Border Services when you return to Canada. It involves paying a fee, filling in some forms and then bringing the trailer for inspection at a Canadian Tire after its assembled. I imported a Harbor Freight Trailer and was required to go through the RIV song and dance. The RIV fee was more than the trailer cost and the process is ridiculous for a bunch of pre-cut and drilled pieces of metal, fittings, screws, axle, tires and the rest of the goodies that make a trailer, but it's the law. The chances of getting caught are next to nothing, but I wouldn't want to have to deal with a cop or MTO Officer on a traffic stop or an insurance dude after an accident without papers in order. For $225, you get the federal Department of Transportation and provincial Ministry of Transport/SAAQ/ICBC or equivalent stamps of approval to drag the thing on our highways. It'll still be cheaper than it would cost to buy or have made here.

That is the difference, we aren't importing a trailer, just a box full of parts. Should be no different than buying a bunch of steel, axel, shocks, etc. Once in Canada and you assemble it how would they know you brought in a trailer kit vs. a bunch of trailer parts to build your own?

I've learned with my many dealings the with MTO (Ministry of Transportaion Ontario) that how they treat your issue entirely depends on what you say to them. I've registered and licensed 12 mopeds, most of which had no previous paperwork. It also sadly depends how you look, e.g. go in looking like a punk kid and they will ask for every slip of paperwork imaginable, go in looking like a business man on his lunch hour and they take your word for it that you have insurance.
Not so tiny, but a lot of work: http://mytraveltrailerrestoration.blogspot.com/
Guntr
Teardrop Builder

Postby glenpinpat » Fri Jul 05, 2013 5:06 pm

For my business I import stuff all the time, I also buy stuff for myself. Whether the trailer is assembled or not the feds want their paperwork. However it is up to the border guard and you. If you claim it as parts but the reciept says trailer then they will send you to RIV. I have seen people sit there a long time trying to get paperwork done. If your lucky they just scan reciept and through you go.
glenpinpat
Teardrop Master

Postby Tear2be2014 » Fri Apr 18, 2014 4:23 pm

Canadian may have a number of challenges in sourcing parts for their teardrop build. A word of caution if you're bringing in parts from the USA. My suggestion is to make complete disclosure. If you get a real stickler you can get yourself in some pretty hot water.
Personally I buy almost 100% of my parts in the USA and declare them accordingly almost every small town has a local trailer builder these trailers are fairly simple to build so in the four $500 range you can usually find something suitable brand-new made to your specs.
I have found that scrapyards have newer RVs and trailers that are ready to be stripped ,usable parts from windows, propane accessories ,refrigerators, battery chargers . at a real savings. Local boat dealers will often have a boat that has been involved in an accident or something that nice components can be salvaged from.
Part of the front of building these is scavenging for parts. Good hunting.
Tear2be2014
Teardrop Inspector

Postby teardropDIY » Tue Sep 09, 2014 12:59 pm

Very interesting topic here. As I look through all these posts, I feel like I've already had these conversations with all of you already. Here's my story...
First of all I bought 2 trailers off these guys here in Toronto ( Woodbridge to be exact ), from Kijiji. ( these guys were go cart enthusiasts ) the trailers came from redtrailers.com, but the exact same ones you can buy from harbor freight.
They went over to the states, bought them and brought them back. Apparently they had to jump through hoops to get these things registered and yes, you have to take them to Canadian tire to get safety, approved etc. Both my trailers are from the usa. By the time they had it all said and done at the ministry the whole thing cost them about $700.Canadian.
(I paid $400 for the 1st one and $500 for the second one)

I have contacted harbour frieght and they will not deliver anything over 150lbs even though they come in separate boxes. They charge around $95 to send it to your frieght forwarder, then your freight forwarder charges you, plus duties, plus,plus,plus. It's not worth all the aggravation. I've been to lowes, home depot, other local trailer manufacturers and nobody seems to have the right size trailer or price. ( All my builds are 4 x 8 ) Until recently. I even contacted: Changzhou Nanxiashu Tool Co - the trailer manufacturer in China. This is what they said:

Dear Mr. Hoddinott,

Nice to hear from you. The price of the UT03 foldable trailer is US205.00/unit, 20ft GP container load quantity is 140units.

Thanks.
Best wishes,
Zhang Wenhua/Changzhou Nanxiashu
Tel: 86 519 86659368
Fax: 86 519 86667266
Mobil: 86 13584555100
Email: [email protected]

Well I'm not going to buy 140 units, especially at that price. So, long story short, I finally got my trailer. same style as harbour frieght. It's 1195 lb capacity fold-able trailer and goes for $700 Canadian brand new. It comes in 3 boxes. It's perfect for the tear drop build. If you want to save and get used I would just keep shopping around Kijiji. Someone is always selling them used. I like snow bear too. Round fenders look better in my opinion. If you're looking for the brand new one for $700 check out the link below... :roll: ;)
teardropDIY
Teardrop Inspector

Postby teardropDIY » Thu Nov 27, 2014 3:17 pm

grow an extra arm :NC Yeah, I hear ya. I'm slowly trying to change that. If I can be of any help let me know ;)
teardropDIY
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Fooman » Sat Nov 26, 2016 3:21 pm

Hello from Revelstoke Bc ! I am about to start a build on a off-road trailer and am having trouble finding a door for it . Would anyone have any suggestions for me ? :D
Fooman
Teardrop Inspector

Previous

Return to Essential Information about building teardrops