Sources for Canadian Builders

Important Information and Stickies...
(Threads with essential information about building teardrops)

Sources for Canadian Builders

Postby julesap » Thu Aug 05, 2010 7:36 pm

I have started my build and am having a hard time sourcing some stuff here in Canada. ie; windows, epoxy, etc... I should qualify that by saying we can get it here but it cost an arm and a leg and I only have a leg to give. Are there any Canadians out there that can give me some suggestions??
julesap
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Guntr » Fri Aug 27, 2010 9:32 am

I am finding the same problem as I source replacement parts for my rebuild. Also if you order from the US and they ship with UPS you can get hit with border crossing "brokerage fees" that will sometimes cost you more than the item you ordered.

Recently I discovered the solution. I happen to work in a border town (Cornwall, ON) and discovered a place across the border called The Ship-It Shop. For a small fee they will accept UPS deliveries for you and email you when they arrive. Fees are reasonable ($3 for small, $5 for large). When they email me it just costs me about another $2.75 bridge toll each way, 20 minute drive, and (possibly) taxes on the item at Canadian Customs.

I find the fees, and bridge toll to be way cheaper than just the extra shipping charges to Canada, let alone the "brokerage fees".

I've used them twice now ordering parts for my Kegerator and a buddy of mine uses them almost monthly.

With them in mind I don't even bother trying to source parts in Canada unless it's something physically impossible to ship, or something I want to see in person before buying.

Hope this helps.
Not so tiny, but a lot of work: http://mytraveltrailerrestoration.blogspot.com/
Guntr
Teardrop Builder

parts

Postby john curtis » Sat Aug 28, 2010 12:53 am

Hi everyone.I am in Edmonton and bought most of my parts in Edmonton,but with the parts like custom fenders,power center,door locks powered roof vent etc.I ordered most of them off EBay,and even with the shipping,duty and brokerage fees I saved close to $1500.00 .Also some of the parts I wanted I coud'nt get in Canada.When I started this project I gave myself a budget of $5000.00 and by the time this project is done it will be close to 25% over budget.But what the h__l I have enjoyed every minute of it and it will still be a lot cheaper than buying new.
John
john curtis
Teardrop Master

Postby 86bigred » Sun Feb 06, 2011 7:54 pm

you could try rv dealers.i am an rv tech and can get pretty much get any thing needed.mind you i get it at cost
86bigred
Teardrop Builder

another canadian question

Postby Min » Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:19 pm

I am looking to start a TD home build. I feel confident about the vast majority of the construction, except, I am missing the frame. I have some metalwork background, but, I would be a bit stretched to weld-up a frame by myself. Anyone got a recommended source for a frame? In Canada, preferably the "Wet Coast"??

Thanks, Min :thumbsup:
Min
Teardrop Inspector

Postby 86bigred » Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:24 pm

i'm using an old tent trailer frame that was given to me.check out princess auto,canadian tire, or order one from the states.
86bigred
Teardrop Builder

trailer frame

Postby Min » Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:00 pm

The tent trailer frame idea has crossed my mind. However, I am afraid that I would quickly build more than the frame/axle could handle.

I have one contact for a trailer frame manufacturer here in the Valley. Approx. $2500.00. I haven't brought anything more than a couple bottles of tequila back across the border, so, I am a bit unsure about bringing back a trailer frame. But it is definitely still an option.
Min
Teardrop Inspector

I bought a 4 x 8 utility trailer

Postby julesap » Thu Mar 24, 2011 6:20 am

I bought a 4 x 8 utility trailer with 14" tires on KIJIJI for $300. Striped it down and it works perfectly! :thumbsup:
julesap
Teardrop Inspector

Postby legojenn » Thu Mar 24, 2011 6:24 am

Importing a US spec trailer and getting it registered is not that difficult. The nuisance is a $225 RIV fee. I wrote a long post about what I had to do to get a Harbor Freight trailer imported.
Jenn
legojenn
The 300 Club

Postby Min » Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:30 pm

I am still looking, but, I am wondering if a 4' X 8' utility trailer is a large enough frame. Wouldn't the main area of the trailer be limited in width to around 4' plus the distance to the outside of the wheels?

I am going to have to check out some of the plans on this site.

I have a utility trailer frame that I could use. It has been built so that the box can be removed, and, would leave just the "bare bones" frame. It would be a hassle, however, it has a 3500# torsion axle already.

Maybe I could build the TD as a module that could be swapped on and off?
Min
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Wimperdink » Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:04 pm

I used to live in a border town on the US side. My mom worked for customs at the time. We found out back then that you only pay duty once per (time period)? When we purchased something big on one side or the other, we would buy a bottle of liquor on one side and pay duty on it crossing and then return to get the big item and cross again. I'm not sure if the same rules apply anymore or not. :o
Image You know a man is on the level if his bubble is in the middle.
Wimperdink
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby hugh » Sun Jun 12, 2011 9:29 am

I built my trailer frame from square tubing I picked up at a local seller of metal. I got a 3500 lb axle on sale from Princess Auto. Once I had the axle and knew pretty much the dimensions of my trailer I tack welded everything together with a little 110 volt welder I have then took it over to a friend across town to finish welding it up. It,s been awhile but the metal, axle, lights etc were somewhere around the $1000 mark. I added electric brakes after reading more posts on this site about braking.
For some items I use a service just across the border in N Dak, small items are under $5, you just pay the tax at customs, usually 12% on the way back. Plus gas is cheaper in the U.S. so I always fill up. The border is 1 hour from Winnipeg but it,s a nice drive. Some sellers offer free shipping to points in the States so that offers a bit of savings.
I also discovered that you can avoid brokerage fees. UPS for one while offering great service will add on a brokerage fee to the shipping cost. Brokerage just means that they pay the tax to customs. You can tell the shipper that customer will do own brokerage, and to mark that on the parcel. I know with UPS brokerage can add $60. or more. You can even say to the delivery person at your door that you want to do your own brokerage and they will take the parcel back to the depot.If you have a local customs office near you, here in Winnipeg it is located near the airport about 3 blocks from the UPS depot, you pick up the paperwork from the shipper, drive over to customs, pay your 12%, then go pick your parcel up. The best things are made in the U.S.A. there are no extra duty charges and the quality is far superior the off shore stuff.
hugh
Teardrop Master

Postby zephyr2nv » Sat Jul 02, 2011 12:21 am

I purchased my Flexiride half axles (550 lb) from Cerka in Milton. I also bought my wheels, tires and fenders from them. Their prices are reasonable and they are friendly and knowledgeable. They only ship in Canada.

http://www.cerka.ca/

Derek
zephyr2nv
Teardrop Inspector

Postby del690 » Thu Feb 02, 2012 6:11 am

Hey Min
I have super little welding ex, but I am still going to have a go at it.
You can buy the welder, metal, axle,wheels, jacks, etc cheaper than buying a trailer new. You can also then build it to your specs.
I got a welder from Princess Auto, found a good axle place in Milton, Ontario and just this weekend a place that will do nice windows at a reasonable cost.
del690
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Sources for Canadian Builders

Postby Martiangod » Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:19 pm

Axels, lighting, fenders and Canadian http://www.cerka.ca/

Getting my aluminum sheeting from http://mccollracing.com/store.php

Pick up lots of stuff off http://kijiji.ca/

I work for an RV dealer and I rarely by there because the suppliers to the RV business in Canada are ripp of artists, we pay wholesale for parts that is higher then retail in the States
If it ain't broke, fix it till it is

Chris

Deep in the Heart of Nowhere
The topper viewtopic.php?f=50&t=58140, gone to a new home to be converted
into an ice fishing shack...FREEBIE !!! for a nice young family
The trailer viewtopic.php?f=50&t=48156
Martiangod
500 Club

Next

Return to Essential Information about building teardrops