Easy, Painless and Cheap way to Register your Trailer

Important Information and Stickies...
(Threads with essential information about building teardrops)

Re: Easy, Painless and Cheap way to Register your Trailer

Postby teardropDIY » Tue Sep 09, 2014 12:09 pm

Ouch you guys seem to have it pretty hard. Here in Canada, you just register it as a utility trailer. No questions asked. If it's home made, you fill out a piece of paper pay to register it and its done. I'm glad we don't have the same problems here. :shock:
teardropDIY
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Westling » Thu Jan 08, 2015 11:14 pm

I read (or rather skimmed) through most of the pages in this discussion and didn't find anything specific to Minnesota registration. Anybody know about Minnesota rules and regs?

I recently built on a 5X8 utility trailer that I bought new a couple of months ago. I registered the trailer at the time of purchase with a spiffy permanent registration sticker from the DMV (for trailers under 3000 lbs) and didn't give it a second thought until a few days ago. Now I'm wondering if there's anything more I need to do before I take it on vacation. I don't think I did any work that would alter the nature of the trailer. Just added some plywood and windows. I hadn't planned on getting any special insurance for it, and I'm sure it's still WELL under the 2,000 pounds GVWR of the utility trailer (probably closer to 1000 pounds).

Any thoughts?
Westling
Teardrop Inspector

Postby KennethW » Fri Jan 09, 2015 8:04 am

That is the way I did mine.I view the teardrop as a trailer hauling a box on it. The sticker is your lifetime license (same as plates). Should be good in all states. Most states to be a RV is has to have a bathroom, I think.
KennethW
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby len19070 » Fri Jan 09, 2015 8:27 am

KennethW wrote:That is the way I did mine.I view the teardrop as a trailer hauling a box on it. The sticker is your lifetime license (same as plates). Should be good in all states. Most states to be a RV is has to have a bathroom, I think.

Your thinking is correct Kenneth, The teardrop is a box or a Load on a utility trailer.

But it doesn't have to have a bathroom in it to be considered an RV i.e. Pop Ups. Its all up to someone in your States guess as to weather its an RV or not.

Most Campgrounds consider a Tear an RV.

It is a lot easier to register as a utility trailer.

Happy Trails

Len
:peace: :peace: :peace: :peace: :peace:
http://s26.photobucket.com/user/len1907 ... 20trailers

"If you do good things, good things will happen to you"..... Earl Hickey
len19070
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby lfrazer98 » Sun Mar 08, 2015 6:13 pm

dmank86 wrote:Hello,
I just bought my NT 5x8 trailer. I wanted to know how do you guys go about registering this in NEW YORK. The site is very consing and no one there (dmv) actually answers the phone. I did not build my tear yet just "dotting my 'I's and crossing my 't's before I start.

Thanks much Dan

Dan, You may already have the answers to your questions, but I am in NY and had to jump through the following hoops.

1. Fill out registration form (MV-82) http://dmv.ny.gov/forms/mv82.pdf
2. I got my trailer weighed (paid $5)
3. Submitted my receipts to the DMV (they only looked at the ones I didn't pay tax on, then charged me tax) along with the paperwork for registration and a VIN #. I did not have to title my trailer, but I can't remember why.... I think because it was under 1000#s, but the instructions were on the DMV form. Here is the form I used for reference. http://dmv.ny.gov/forms/vs105.pdf http://dmv.ny.gov/org/forms/mv272.pdf is the form for the VIN number. They gave me plates and registration ticket and said I had ten days to get it inspected.
4. Then I made sure that I permanently attached the VIN to my trailer. (I used a dremel to etch it into aluminum then attached it to my tongue rack with pop rivets)
5. I went to a garage (any will do) and they inspected it. Actually, they all came out of the shop to check out the trailer, which was cool.
6. This Spring I will renew my registration and I should be good to get on the road!

I used the following form for all my lights and reflectors for my trailer. I didn't put the red and amber reflectors on the side (just the lights), but they didn't say anything at inspection. http://dmv.ny.gov/forms/mv529c.pdf

Hope this helps.
lfrazer98
Teardrop Master

Postby Delta99 » Tue Apr 07, 2015 5:59 pm

I'm in Colorado, and just called that number at the beginning of this thread to get my Maine plates. Maine DMV doesn't handle non-resident registrations anymore. It's farmed out to private "agencies." I looked into one of them, and it costs $65, not $10.50 anymore. PLUS I have to have a title for it with my name on it. My Harbor Freight trailer wasn't issued with a title. To get it titled in CO, I first have to insure it, and provide proof of insurance. Then I have to make an appointment to have a LE officer come out and inspect the trailer. Then I have to apply, and wait for a title. At this point, I've already done everything I didn't want to have to do, so after all that, I'll just get the plates here, and spend an arm and a leg. My dreams of $10 registration through the mail have been shattered. :( Oh well
Delta99
Teardrop Inspector

Postby JaggedEdges » Wed Apr 08, 2015 6:36 am

There's gotta be some reason all the U-hauls I see have Arizona plates.... just saying.
Jack of all trades, Doctor of rocket surgery and fellow of the noble college of shadetree meddlers. "in argentum tenax vinculum speramus"
JaggedEdges
Teardrop Master

Postby Ben B » Wed Apr 08, 2015 7:21 am

JaggedEdges wrote:There's gotta be some reason all the U-hauls I see have Arizona plates.... just saying.

They are headquartered in AZ
Ben B
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Rose4aname » Tue May 05, 2015 7:24 am

I just called and was told that they would send me a list of agents that I would have to pay to do this process for me. They said that I could not deal directly with the State of Maine.
Rose4aname
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Rose4aname » Tue May 05, 2015 9:02 am

My problem is that I have a Vin - not 17 digits, No title, just a bill of sale and no way to get one. so no tags and no registration. I have contacted SC DMV with no luck. I was told that it is small enough that I don't need tags but I feel like if I get stopped it could be a big hassle. I really want tags and title.
Rose4aname
Teardrop Advisor

Postby akapiglet » Thu Jun 11, 2015 9:10 pm

Krusty,
I am also a Pa resident and this is great news! Now that you have a registration have you tried to transfer it back to Pa? Just wondering what I have to look forward to after my project is complete, if it will be a headache (i.e. jumping through hoops of fire) to transfer it back to a Pa registration.

Thanks!
akapiglet
Teardrop Inspector

Postby ukewarrior » Fri Aug 07, 2015 10:28 am

I just did a registration with Maine that was quick, easy and had great customer service.

I got 5 years of registration with shipping for $63 total.
That is quite a cost savings over the $40+ /year I would have faced.

My trailer is a 4x8 Harbor Freight build that will weigh less than 1000 lbs.

When navigating their site, they have this option:

My Trailer Weighs 2,000 LBS or less When loaded (GVW) Small trailer (very small trailers)- FOR PERSONAL USE

All I had to do was scan and send in two documents that were included during the sale from harbor freight:
1. The certificate of Origin for a Vehicle
2. The Bill of Sale that showed I had already paid sales tax

All the information I needed to fill in for their forms came from these two documents.

I also wanted to register it to my daughter, so they called me, yes a real human being called me on the phone and told me exactly what I needed to do which was fill out a bill of sale transferring the trailer to my daughter. They even have this form on their website !

Wow. I'm really impressed with the service and the price.

Thanks so much for starting this thread.
ukewarrior
Donating Member

Postby Andymanout » Sun Mar 06, 2016 12:55 am

Hopefully this helps those of us that live in Southern California.

http://td.roughwheelers.com/DMV/
"Go into all the world and preach the gospel to every creature." I'm gonna do it in a teardrop.
Andymanout
Teardrop Builder

Postby QueticoBill » Wed Nov 30, 2016 12:42 pm

Well, I went to the Illinois DMV to try to title and register my Ironton 5 x 8, even had my MCO, receipt, and the forms off the internet filled out, not that the Illinois DMV site is at all helpful or friendly. Of course, they need more info in the MCO filled out by Northern Tools - sure - that'll happen - so I guess it off to Maine. I use to live there.......

No wonder Illinois is going down the tubes.

PS: So I registered it in Maine online - couldn't be easier (I think - don't have plates yet) but also went to Northern Tool and through chat there got an apology that the certificate of origin was indeed incomplete, and that I could mail it to them along with a copy of receipt and they would add their information and sign it. So now hopefully I'll have it for the future incase I ever need it. I'm assuming after 5 year Maine registration I can transfer to Illinois or wherever I'm living then.
QB
A tear with no name: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=67624
QueticoBill
Silver Donating Member

Postby poohquilt » Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:15 am

len19070 wrote:Recently a member from Maryland told me how easy it was to register his trailer.

Since I had never registered my trailer ever anywhere because of the ridiculous Hoops and outrageous Co$ts my state, Pennsylvania wanted me to jump through and pay.

I decided to try to do the right thing and register my trailer taking his advise.

I have been using another tag from another trailer for years.

Well, $21 and 6 days later I had a registration card and tags for 2 years!!

It was almost a Religious experience!

The Sun Came out, the Seas of Red Tape opened, the birds were Chirping...I was finally "Legal!

And how was this Revelation implemented?

By a simple phone Call to the Maine Department of Motor Vehicles.

1 207 624 9000, Ext. 52151

I called this number and spoke to a real live person....in English!

Told them I wanted to register a trailer as a Non-Resident. They took my address and 2 days later I received the forums...by the way the forms were in simple English too.

Filled them out, sent them in with a Check and 6 days later I had tags and an owners card.

They don't care if your from out of state

And they were Happy to do it!

I don't know about you but by the end of my builds my wallet is pretty well emptied and spending a couple Hundred Dollars and a lot of aggravation for a card to carry around in your Wallet just isn't in the cards....THOUGH IT IS A NECESSARY EVIL!

I Hope this Helps!

Happy Trails

Len

Stupid question but when you registered your trailer did you do it as a utility trailer or camper trailer???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
poohquilt
Teardrop Inspector

PreviousNext

Return to Essential Information about building teardrops