Easy, Painless and Cheap way to Register your Trailer

Important Information and Stickies...
(Threads with essential information about building teardrops)

Re: Easy, Painless and Cheap way to Register your Trailer

Postby Oldragbaggers » Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:58 am

I just called Maine to get the paperwork mailed to me for my registration. I decided to forego even messing with the Maryland MVA until after I have the Maine registration. (And maybe not even then.)

A really nice lady named Stacy took my information and said the packet would go out in the mail today. Didn't ask me a single question and wished me a nice day. I'm liking this already!!
Life is sooooo good.........
Sail...camp....bike...repeat
Becky

Build Journal http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=45917
Visit our blog at http://www.oldragbaggers.com
Image Image
Oldragbaggers
Gold Donating Member

Postby albion2 » Mon Mar 12, 2012 5:26 pm

I bought a new travel trailer last year,its registered in Ohio,I wonder if I could re-register it in Maine for this year?Anyone know if thats possible.
albion2
Teardrop Builder

Postby tomm » Mon Mar 19, 2012 1:24 pm

Just sent off my paperwork for Maine Registration for my trailer. Not sure what I'll do after I build the teardrop- whether I'll register it in MD. I know that Maine doesn't register camper trailers.
Tom Mabie
[email protected]
301-461-8620 (c)
tomm
Teardrop Inspector

Postby absolutsnwbrdr » Mon Mar 19, 2012 2:32 pm

tomm wrote:Just sent off my paperwork for Maine Registration for my trailer. Not sure what I'll do after I build the teardrop- whether I'll register it in MD. I know that Maine doesn't register camper trailers.

I've never built a camper. But I did just finish my second glorified utility trailer, which just happens to be very comfortable to pass out in at night 8)

Nice meeting you this weekend Tom! :beer:
Zach
Coming Soon...
Image Image
absolutsnwbrdr
Donating Member

Postby parnold » Mon Mar 19, 2012 2:45 pm

I'm with Zach. Mine isn't a camper, it doesn't have a bathroom, or a built in stove or anything like that. 8)
parnold
Donating Member

Postby Oldragbaggers » Mon Mar 19, 2012 5:05 pm

No camper for me either. I am building a nice utility/cargo trailer . We will be the cargo, that's all.:)
Life is sooooo good.........
Sail...camp....bike...repeat
Becky

Build Journal http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=45917
Visit our blog at http://www.oldragbaggers.com
Image Image
Oldragbaggers
Gold Donating Member

Postby seattlejack » Thu Mar 22, 2012 6:01 pm

OK, first my complaint! I am Officially tired of SNOW every morning and the day time highs in the middle 40's. I'm waiting for the temp to get above 55tf so I can put more Poly on the trailer sides. Sheesh!
I got my trailer last year and the licensing was easy. I took the paper work down to the Wa State Dept of Licensing and ask what I needed to do to get it licensed. She looked at the papers of origin and said ,"You need a weight slip". I went home, hooked up the trailer, with no deck or anything, and towed it to the truck scales. The scales are between my house and the DOL so I hoped that my quick trip would not be notice by the local Shire Iff. As I recall, $16 for the weight slip and the tabs were kinda like $28. A slam dunk.
I built a trailer 'bout 15 years ago from scratch. A 6 Roblees axle, lots of steel from Northwest pipe and steel. I had to get an emergency trip permit, tow it clear out to Parkland for a Washington State Patrol inspection. I'm told now the cost is up to $60. Then a trip to DOL for plates and tabs.
that's my experience here in Washington.
Can I bitch about the snow/cold one more time? Jack
seattlejack
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Mukilteo » Thu Mar 22, 2012 6:21 pm

Last edited by Mukilteo on Sat Mar 14, 2015 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Eric
Mukilteo
Donating Member

Postby DezPrado » Sun Mar 25, 2012 2:47 pm

[quote][/quote]Re: Easy, Painless and Cheap way to Register your Trailer
by Oldragbaggers » Mon Mar 19, 2012 5:05 pm

No camper for me either. I am building a nice utility/cargo trailer . We will be the cargo, that's all."

Seems I built me a cargo trailer as well. Still trying to get my head around having to move the cargo
from the truck to the trailer for the dark time, & back again when it's light. Weird! :D But, least we have an understanding.....
On the serious side, here, anything that moves on the public roads is classed as a vehicle & must be registered, except bicycles. End of story but the process is simple, relatively cheap with an annual $35 fee (tax) and a six monthly safety check required at one of the many authorised & licenced inspection places, (also about $35 depending where you choose to go for the inspection.
DezPrado
Teardrop Master

Postby Rose4aname » Mon Mar 26, 2012 1:24 pm

Can this be done with a small 15ft camper? I bought one without a title and made it over but I have been going round and round with the DMV here in SC. If I can just get a title everything would be grand!
Rose4aname
Teardrop Advisor

Postby parnold » Mon Mar 26, 2012 1:44 pm

Yes it can!

You need a signature from the person that sold it to you, on a form that says they know it was really theirs. That is the only proof they need, a signature. In theory, you could give the trailer to a personal acquaintance, and they could then sell you the trailer, and sign the paper, so if the "original" owner is unavailable, you can get around it. The seller is only stating that to his knowledge the trailer is rightfully theirs to sell.
parnold
Donating Member

Postby parnold » Mon Mar 26, 2012 1:46 pm

The trailer would be registered as a utility trailer though. They do not register campers. For those of us who built our own, this is a matter of us registering it before we built the "camper" on top. Or as some have stated, it is a utlilty trailer to carry our camping stuff, and we happen to sleep in it sometimes.
parnold
Donating Member

Postby len19070 » Wed Apr 04, 2012 2:55 pm

1 207 624 9000, Ext. 52151
:peace: :peace: :peace: :peace: :peace:
http://s26.photobucket.com/user/len1907 ... 20trailers

"If you do good things, good things will happen to you"..... Earl Hickey
len19070
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby len19070 » Wed Apr 04, 2012 3:07 pm

Rose4aname wrote:Can this be done with a small 15ft camper? I bought one without a title and made it over but I have been going round and round with the DMV here in SC. If I can just get a title everything would be grand!

Have you called the Maine DMV number? Why ask us? As far as I know nobody here works for the Maine DMV.

1 207 624 9000, Ext. 52151

Get it from the Horses Mouth!

Not us.

All we can tell ya is about our personal positive experiences and how this was a good solution for us in our individual situation.

I didn't post this to give legal advise....CALL THE NUMBER!

Happy Trails

Len
:peace: :peace: :peace: :peace: :peace:
http://s26.photobucket.com/user/len1907 ... 20trailers

"If you do good things, good things will happen to you"..... Earl Hickey
len19070
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby KCStudly » Sat Apr 07, 2012 1:20 pm

I have some experience with registering a vehicle in Maine using a power of attorney second party service. This is totally legal... in Maine.

However, your home state may have a different opinion. In my hot rod truck, registered in ME, home address on registration in CT, I have been given verbal warnings that it is not legal and that I should re-register, but so far no tickets or written warnings. (I think the cops dig the truck and only want to be doing their job without hassling me too much.)

I have heard of people being contacted thru the mail by CT DMV that their ME reg. needed to be transfered, but I think these were cases where they switched from a previous CT reg. to ME. Mine was out of state purchase never reg. in CT so I have not had that problem.

Lots of custom car/hot rod types resort to this method because Mainers are laid back easy going and CT is up tight.

It has to do with the federal highway money. CT wants it and ME says to go pound sand, keep your rules.
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Essential Information about building teardrops