Easy, Painless and Cheap way to Register your Trailer

Important Information and Stickies...
(Threads with essential information about building teardrops)

Re: Easy, Painless and Cheap way to Register your Trailer

Postby El Duderino » Thu Aug 16, 2012 12:14 am

Hello Everyone,

In advance of my trailer purchase, I requested the documents from the Maine DMV and received them last week. Tonight I just acquired my HF 4x8 1720 lb trailer.

So now the questions...

Does anyone know if there are there any examples posted somewhere of how to correctly fill out the forms?

I received the "Use Tax Certificate", "State of Maine Vehicle Registration" (form MVR-1), and the "Application for Certificate of Title" (form MVT-1). So which of these do I really have to fill out? I'm thinking that I have to fill out the Use Tax Certificate and the MVR-1. Since Maine doesn't title trailers weighing less than 3000 lbs, do I need to complete and send in the MVT-1 form?

When sending in the forms can I send copies in copies of the sales receipt and Certificate of Origin or do I need to send in the originals? If I have to send in the originals will I get them back?

Thank you,
El Duderino
El Duderino
Teardrop Inspector

Postby len19070 » Thu Aug 16, 2012 1:51 am

El Duderino wrote:Hello Everyone,

In advance of my trailer purchase, I requested the documents from the Maine DMV and received them last week. Tonight I just acquired my HF 4x8 1720 lb trailer.

So now the questions...

Does anyone know if there are there any examples posted somewhere of how to correctly fill out the forms?

I received the "Use Tax Certificate", "State of Maine Vehicle Registration" (form MVR-1), and the "Application for Certificate of Title" (form MVT-1). So which of these do I really have to fill out? I'm thinking that I have to fill out the Use Tax Certificate and the MVR-1. Since Maine doesn't title trailers weighing less than 3000 lbs, do I need to complete and send in the MVT-1 form?

When sending in the forms can I send copies in copies of the sales receipt and Certificate of Origin or do I need to send in the originals? If I have to send in the originals will I get them back?

Thank you,
El Duderino

Have you tried calling the Phone number on the first page of the thread?

I'll bet they would know.

Happy Trails

Len
:peace: :peace: :peace: :peace: :peace:
http://s26.photobucket.com/user/len1907 ... 20trailers

"If you do good things, good things will happen to you"..... Earl Hickey
len19070
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby El Duderino » Thu Aug 16, 2012 6:29 am

len19070 wrote:
Have you tried calling the Phone number on the first page of the thread?

I'll bet they would know.

Happy Trails

Len

Hi Len,

Well the answer is ...Yes & No. Yes, I called the DMV number to get the forms and No, I didn't call them at to ask the above questions.

My reasons for not calling are as follows....
1. I figured someone on here already had experience registering an HF trailer with the Maine DMV and I figured why bother the nice folks at the DMV since there are so many knowledgeable, helpful, nice folks on here.
2. I didn't think the DMV would be open at midnight when these questions came to mind.
3. I was hoping someone would respond overnight so that I could complete the forms and drop them in the mail on my way to work. If I call the DMV today, I won't get them mailed until this afternoon or tomorrow.
4. Visual examples are often better then verbal examples.
5. I thought it would be nice to make the answers to the questions that I have public rather than keeping it all a big secret. This way if other people have similar questions they would informed as well (and also perhaps, not have to bother the friendly people at the DMV).

Thank you and Regards,
El Duderino
El Duderino
Teardrop Inspector

Re:

Postby absolutsnwbrdr » Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:36 am

absolutsnwbrdr wrote:Forms I have:
yellow "Use Tax Certificate"
"State of Maine Vehicle Registration" (form MVR-1)
"Application for Certificate of Title" (form MVT-1)

I'm guessing I need to fill out whatever I can, and send these forms to Maine, along with the trailer "Certificate of Origin", a copy of the sales receipt, and a check for $33 (title) + $21 (2 year registration).

absolutsnwbrdr wrote:I got my Maine paperwork returned to me :cry:

... but it was something as simple as I failed to sign one spot on the back of the registration form. Why they put the line back there, I do not know. I'm sending it back out this week.

Also, if your trailer is under 3,000GVW, then they DO NOT title them. They only need the registration form, and a check for the yearly fee.

After my experience with registering a HF trailer kit in Maine, if I did it again I'd send them: yellow tax use certificate with copy of receipt, the MVR-1 (make sure you sign the line on the back), and a check. They do not need the certificate of origin.
Zach
Coming Soon...
Image Image
absolutsnwbrdr
Donating Member

Re: Re:

Postby El Duderino » Fri Aug 17, 2012 5:19 am

absolutsnwbrdr wrote:After my experience with registering a HF trailer kit in Maine, if I did it again I'd send them: yellow tax use certificate with copy of receipt, the MVR-1 (make sure you sign the line on the back), and a check. They do not need the certificate of origin.

Hi Zach, Thanks for the help. That is surprising that they don't need the certificate of origin, but must be because they don't title the under 3000# trailers. I spent last night trying to fill out the forms to the best of my understanding. I'm going to give them a call today to just clarify a couple of things. When I send it all in and if I successfully get a plate back, I'll post some examples on here to help take the ambiguity out of the process.
El Duderino
Teardrop Inspector

Postby albion2 » Fri Sep 07, 2012 6:00 pm

I am about to get into the motorhome market (selling my 2012 19ft Puma trailer) I am wondering if registering a motorhome in Maine can be done the same way as a trailer.I live in ohio.
albion2
Teardrop Builder

Postby KCStudly » Fri Sep 07, 2012 7:46 pm

They will register anything. Pay the fee and sign the POA so that your agent can handle the transaction in your stead. It is legal there and they are not concerned if it is legal where you are.

Worked for me with my hot rod p/u, but had some 'splaining to do when the truck would attract the attention of the local constabulary. Got verbal warnings a couple of times. Thankfully not written; would have had to take it off of the road due to tough inspection issues (chopped top, lowered suspension, loud dual exhaust, bumpers removed, etc.).

My experience was with a motor vehicle. The impression I get from reading earlier posts in this thread is that laws may be different for trailers, and from state to state.

My advice, do your own independent research and decide for yourself.
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby Bikerman » Sat Oct 27, 2012 2:47 pm

Agree with KCStudy, sure appears laws vary and certainly the bar is set at different levels.

I built my trailer and had to go the Highway Patrol in Mo, for the inspection. The guy wanted all the receipts for the steel, axel, wheels, tires, hitch....even the chain (which I already had). He asked if I could get a receipt for that amount of chain and I looked at him like :NC then he said never mind, he believed me.

But that experience told me I'll have a problem building a trailer and using used or scavenged parts. Soooo

Seems to me that this little one wheel trailer sitting in my yard that has no title, I could just apply for the registration as mentioned and then a few weeks later show up at the Mo DMV and transfer it and request a new title?

And the same thing could be done for another homebuilt trailer?

Am I getting this right? That the state of Mo will just accept the registration from Ma without a title and issue a new title?

Now, what happens if; the past owner I got it from, who passed away, (his son sold it to me without a title as they couldn't find it) had it titled in Mo and then they get a request for a new title or re-issue and the names are different????

Looks like if a state had a title issued and lapsed or not renewed, it would still show that chasis number to that trailer title in that name. Then, getting the same numbers from an out of state registration in a different name would raise some red flags.

In other words, what would prevent some low life from stealing a trailer, applying for the out of state registration, then getting a new title and go on his merry way or sell it with a clear title?

As mentioned above, I'll investigate a little at the DMV, before doing anything, but it also seems that this process may cause some problems skirting state registration laws in your state. In the computer age, seems audits could be run at the end of the year.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for any legal fix, but the fines and jail time for filing false title registrations, tax avoidance and maybe fraud kinda concern me. :roll:
Bikerman
Teardrop Advisor

Postby emartian » Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:08 pm

Can someone who's done the Maine registration please tell me how you get around the lack of a VIN? I've just gotten the paperwork, and they graciously supplied extra copies of everything, just so's I get it right. My trailer chassis is a homebuild, with a few scratches that could be construed as numbers, but I've also never seen anything like a VIN on a Harbor Freight. What did all you homebuilders do? Do I just leave that section blank, or go with one of the "expediting" services or just plain make one up? Help!
emartian
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Kccreative » Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:13 pm

Does anyone know if you need any other registration than a regular trailer in the state of Virginia.
Kccreative
Teardrop Inspector

Postby nhstt » Fri Feb 08, 2013 8:08 am

Has anyone registered their trailer in New Hampshire, would the Maine route be easier? I'll be using a harbor freight trailer and trying to get it on the road as soon as possible , also money is a issue. Every penny counts in this family! I read several, but not all the post on this subject so far- so if someone already said,Oops! The kids are home with blizzard bags and the noise level has gone way up!!! I'm off to work soon (Lowe's) where all we'll be selling today is snow throwers, shovels and other emergency stuff to be returned on Monday slightly used! Any help doing this in a painless way would be greatly appreciated.
Karen
nhstt
Teardrop Master

Postby OverTheTopCargoTrailer » Fri Jun 07, 2013 10:48 am

Maine registration is not that easy any more.....

I got new 7 x 18 trailer Built in PA....but live in Calif ....
the agents told me CALIFORNIA - IS NO GO- BRO !!!!

which is funny because Maine DMV sent me the paperwork....

NEXT Maine wants to collect 5% sales tax if personal use ...or
Zero tax if your trailer is used as commercial in interstate traffic

As I have another house in Texas & if I can get new Factory paperwork for Texas ....
then we can Rock & Roll !!

Time will tell.....
OverTheTopCargoTrailer
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby len19070 » Fri Jun 07, 2013 1:29 pm

OverTheTopCargoTrailer wrote:Maine registration is not that easy any more.....

I got new 7 x 18 trailer Built in PA....but live in Calif ....
the agents told me CALIFORNIA - IS NO GO- BRO !!!!

which is funny because Maine DMV sent me the paperwork....

NEXT Maine wants to collect 5% sales tax if personal use ...or
Zero tax if your trailer is used as commercial in interstate traffic

As I have another house in Texas & if I can get new Factory paperwork for Texas ....
then we can Rock & Roll !!

Time will tell.....

Whoa, Whoa, Whoa there! I just got 3 registrations yesterday. It worked the same for me??

I've paid the tax before and it was still the easiest and most cost effective method I've found in the past 25 years.

Not to be a Smart A$$, but Is it possible you did or said something wrong?

Happy Trails

Len
Last edited by len19070 on Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
:peace: :peace: :peace: :peace: :peace:
http://s26.photobucket.com/user/len1907 ... 20trailers

"If you do good things, good things will happen to you"..... Earl Hickey
len19070
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby Oldragbaggers » Fri Jun 07, 2013 1:46 pm

What difference does it make where it was built?
Life is sooooo good.........
Sail...camp....bike...repeat
Becky

Build Journal http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=45917
Visit our blog at http://www.oldragbaggers.com
Image Image
Oldragbaggers
Gold Donating Member

Postby Dean in Ct. » Fri Jun 07, 2013 3:49 pm

Just recieved my 2 year renewal from the State of Me. for $21. Mine had lapsed as I expected to hear from them before it expired and I didn't. Still, no problem. As far as the vin, as I recall, just put homebuilt and leave it at that. Don't apply for a title.
I'm happy for another 2 years anyway!
Yes, it really does work
Dean in Ct.
Teardrop Master

PreviousNext

Return to Essential Information about building teardrops