Easy, Painless and Cheap way to Register your Trailer

Important Information and Stickies...
(Threads with essential information about building teardrops)

Re: Easy, Painless and Cheap way to Register your Trailer

Postby OverTheTopCargoTrailer » Tue Jun 11, 2013 3:55 pm

Hi Len

Did you register your 3 in Maine & you live in Calif ??
Have you ever gotten any Jazz from Calif LEO's yet ??

I just reregistered my old trailer in Calif for 5 more years - it was only $10 WOW !!

I found another Maine agent & sent off all the paperwork , so I will report back soon
What happens ?? I'm going for the 10 year registration - so I dont need to bother
With it every year

It sounds like in Maine you don't wanna peek behind the curtain too much :D :D

Jerry
OverTheTopCargoTrailer
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Scooter6175 » Sun Jun 16, 2013 12:13 pm

Live in West virginia, the trailer i decided to use for my TD build is already titled and plated as a utility trailer. is there any reason to do something different for the plates or just use the utility trailer plate. don't really want to go back to the DMV, took 7 trip to register a portable one man pontoon boat. (I decide to install a trolling motor)
Scooter6175
Teardrop Inspector

Postby len19070 » Sun Jun 16, 2013 12:52 pm

Scooter6175 wrote:Live in West virginia, the trailer i decided to use for my TD build is already titled and plated as a utility trailer. is there any reason to do something different for the plates or just use the utility trailer plate.

Scooter if you already have a tag & title for a trailer I would see no reason to change anything. Those 2 items are basically what we're all striving for.

Many, many people title and tag there trailers before they start building as utility trailers. And continue to use them after building as such.

The way I look at it, and I'm no official is that a box the shape of a teardrop is a load that is put on to a utility trailer frame. Same as a Big tool box...there both loads your using the trailer to carry.

Happy Trails

Len
:peace: :peace: :peace: :peace: :peace:
http://s26.photobucket.com/user/len1907 ... 20trailers

"If you do good things, good things will happen to you"..... Earl Hickey
len19070
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby OverTheTopCargoTrailer » Tue Jun 18, 2013 4:24 pm

Ok Len

My plate is now in the Maine hopper , let's see if it showes up in the next week .....by the 26th
Don't know why the Maine DMV guy & first Maine Agent gave me Jazz about calif ?

I did it for 10 years, so I don't need to think about it again before I die :D :D

I should have stopped by your house when I got trailer from Leeper PA
Maybe next trip to factory I can stop by.

Jerry
OverTheTopCargoTrailer
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby OverTheTopCargoTrailer » Mon Jun 24, 2013 6:46 pm

Ok

Today I received word form my registration agent the plates are in the mail to me.

They should be here by Friday :D :D :D :D
OverTheTopCargoTrailer
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby ddrabant » Thu Jun 27, 2013 7:03 pm

could someone post instructions of how to fill out the forms for a home made trailer... I thought I had read instructions at one point byt I cannot seem to find
a link to them...
Thanks a bunch
ddrabant
Teardrop Inspector

Postby ddrabant » Thu Jun 27, 2013 7:06 pm

could someone post instructions of how to fill out the forms for a home made trailer... I just got the Maine paperwork in the mail today. I thought I had read instructions at one point but I cannot seem to find
a link to them...
Thanks a bunch
ddrabant
Teardrop Inspector

Postby OverTheTopCargoTrailer » Sat Jun 29, 2013 2:14 pm

Update

I received my trailer plate Thursday the 25 th June .

2 things wrong I noticed right away

First they expire 2-28-23 .... 10 years from when I bought the trailer vs. 10 years from when registered 6-21-23 ??

2nd the other person on the registration had my last name vs their their last name, very STRANGE ??
Maybe there is a blind typist somewhere ?
Will see if the issue can be fixed & report back
OverTheTopCargoTrailer
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby OverTheTopCargoTrailer » Sat Jun 29, 2013 2:21 pm

ddrabant wrote:could someone post instructions of how to fill out the forms for a home made trailer... I just got the Maine paperwork in the mail today. I thought I had read instructions at one point but I cannot seem to find
a link to them...
Thanks a bunch

I used one of the agents who were included on a list with the paperwork , only fill out the notarized signature & sent the paperwork & money to agent. About 2 weeks latter I got my plates, I did everything per mail from Calif :beer: :beer: :beer: did not look behind the curtain too much :thumbsup: :thumbsup: over the Internet it would talk about 1 week

When I get a chance I will post her info for you , I think 99.99 % it was Jennifer at

Countrywidetrailerregistrations.com
OverTheTopCargoTrailer
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby lfrazer98 » Sun Sep 22, 2013 2:05 pm

I read through most of the posts here and didn't find anything about registering in NYS. I did go to the DMV page and it looks like a lengthy, and possibly, expensive process. Anyone register a teardrop trailer in NYS? Any tips on paperwork I need to save, etc.? I am going to start buying my parts for the build in a few weeks, so I am quite a long way from completing my trailer and registering it. However, it does look like I need to show proof of ownership, receipts of parts used to build it, original weight slip, get a VIN, register it, get it inspected and weighed, and the fee is going to be based on the trailer's MGW. WOW! Thanks for your help! I am very new to this site and am enjoying everything there is to offer!
Lauren
lfrazer98
Teardrop Master

Postby KCStudly » Sun Sep 22, 2013 6:20 pm

Welcome to the forum!

Why don't you tell us a little something bout your project, what you plan to build and what source you are using for a trailer (kit, old camper or boat, or homemade)?

If you are starting with a scratch built trailer, what you described sounds fairly typical. However, if you are starting with a store bought kit, or previously registered used trailer (especially if it was registered in your state and has an existing VIN) it may be much easier than that.

Kit and other new trailers come with a manufacturers statement of origin that most DMV's will accept, along with a bill of sale or receipt, as authentication. Then they just verify the description, size, weight capacity (usually they will base this on the tire rating if it is not otherwise documented) and do a check of the lighting.
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby rowerwet » Tue Sep 24, 2013 7:50 pm

the real point to this thread is how to skip your own states red tape for a homebult or kit trailer. Instead register it in Maine, without ever leaving your own state :D , then if you still want to have a local plate take your Maine reg and plate to your nearest DMV and transfer it to the state you live in, a much easier thing to do, since the trailer is already on the road and certified in another state. :D :D :D
Much like the way most states have a whole procedure to getting a drivers license, but a transfer from another state is just a matter of paperwork and money, usually not a written and road test.
rowerwet
Gold Donating Member

Postby len19070 » Wed Sep 25, 2013 4:40 am

rowerwet wrote:the real point to this thread is how to skip your own states red tape for a homebult or kit trailer. Instead register it in Maine, without ever leaving your own state :D , then if you still want to have a local plate take your Maine reg and plate to your nearest DMV and transfer it to the state you live in, a much easier thing to do, since the trailer is already on the road and certified in another state. :D :D :D
Much like the way most states have a whole procedure to getting a drivers license, but a transfer from another state is just a matter of paperwork and money, usually not a written and road test.

Thank You!

Happy Trails

Len
:peace: :peace: :peace: :peace: :peace:
http://s26.photobucket.com/user/len1907 ... 20trailers

"If you do good things, good things will happen to you"..... Earl Hickey
len19070
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby lfrazer98 » Sat Sep 28, 2013 12:08 pm

KCStudly wrote:Welcome to the forum!

Why don't you tell us a little something bout your project, what you plan to build and what source you are using for a trailer (kit, old camper or boat, or homemade)?

If you are starting with a scratch built trailer, what you described sounds fairly typical. However, if you are starting with a store bought kit, or previously registered used trailer (especially if it was registered in your state and has an existing VIN) it may be much easier than that.

Kit and other new trailers come with a manufacturers statement of origin that most DMV's will accept, along with a bill of sale or receipt, as authentication. Then they just verify the description, size, weight capacity (usually they will base this on the tire rating if it is not otherwise documented) and do a check of the lighting.

Thanks! We were thinking of completely home-built, but I think we might just look for a used trailer, as you mentioned. It also seems that there are easy ways out there to register in another state, then transfer to NY. I will look into that when the time comes.

Again, thanks for the welcome! My father and I are making this teardrop as a family project and are excited to start. We are researching extensively now and will be doing more as we go! I look forward to all of your expertise and reading everything that has been posted already. :)

Lauren
lfrazer98
Teardrop Master

Re:

Postby MoparCzy » Mon Oct 21, 2013 6:44 pm

traveler wrote:I don't know if it is a good thing or not, but all we have to do in Oregon to pull a trailer that is less than 1600 lbs, is to hook it up and go. No license, don't even need insurance, but for 12 dollars a year, I couldn't pass the insurance up, and has full coverage. :applause:

Actually the rule for Oregon is that a light utility trailer does not need to be registered or titled. Those are considered to be anything at 1800 lbs or less loaded weight. However if you have a teardrop trailer then you are not a utility trailer. Teardrops fall under the Recreational Trailer group. That is any trailer with both sleeping and cooking facilities. If you have both then you must title and register it.

If you build your own trailer of any type, be sure to keep all receipts for the metal and other materials used in the frame plus axles. You will need to take those along with the trailer to the DMV in order to have it inspected (nothing fancy, just looking for existing VIN numbers in case you used an existing trailer frame). You will fill out some paperwork and pay the appropriate fees: Title, VIN inspection, Plate, and 2 years of registration based on length including hitch. You will get your plate right then and a title within 6 weeks.
MoparCzy
Teardrop Builder

PreviousNext

Return to Essential Information about building teardrops