Easy, Painless and Cheap way to Register your Trailer

Important Information and Stickies...
(Threads with essential information about building teardrops)

Postby len19070 » Thu Oct 27, 2011 2:24 pm

absolutsnwbrdr wrote:Looking through my MAINE paperwork right now.

Its a bit confusing as to what I'm supposed to fill out where. Guess all motor vehicle paperwork (no matter the state) is the same. Has anyone else done a new registration and new title on a new Harbor Freight Trailer?

Forms I have:
yellow "Use Tax Certificate"
"State of Maine Vehicle Registration" (form MVR-1)
"Application for Certificate of Title" (form MVT-1)

I'm guessing I need to fill out whatever I can, and send these forms to Maine, along with the trailer "Certificate of Origin", a copy of the sales receipt, and a check for $33 (title) + $21 (2 year registration).

Sound about right?

Zach,

sorry for not answering this sooner but I just saw it.

I took all my Maine info to AAA. they are familiar with these "Types" of forms (what the lingo means) and were very helpful.

Happy Trails

Len
:peace: :peace: :peace: :peace: :peace:
http://s26.photobucket.com/user/len1907 ... 20trailers

"If you do good things, good things will happen to you"..... Earl Hickey
len19070
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby D-J Wade » Sat Nov 05, 2011 8:49 am

I guess I'm lucky. Here in Oklahoma if it doesn't have a vin# on the trailer anywhere, the tag agent with issue you a 12 digit number that you stamp into your frame or put on a plate and rivit to the frame and for $7.00 you get a private trailer tag and a registration that you renew every year for $7.00. No title though, just a registration paper. I didn't even have to show a bill of sale. The really nice thing about Oklahoma is, if it's not an actual RV you don't have to tag it. The tag agent told me its just easier on me to get the private trailer tag so I'm not hassled if I go out of state with it.
D-J Wade
Teardrop Inspector

No camper trailer registration

Postby Oldragbaggers » Sat Nov 05, 2011 9:49 am

I just copied this off the MBI Trailers website which does trailer registrations for the state of Maine.
Homemade Trailers...
If the trailer has been previously registered, we need only a copy of that registration and a check for the number of years you wish to register the trailer (no sales tax due)

If the trailer has not been previously registered, we need a typed formal statement from you that has the following in it:

Date built
Dimensions: length, width and height
Weight
GVW (trailer weight plus load it can carry)
Type of trailer (utility, landscape, boat, etc.)
VIN number (call us if VIN not available)

PLEASE NOTE: We DO NOT register live-in or camper trailers.

So....since they do not register camper trailers, I take it all of you who have done this list your trailer as a utility trailer?

Becky
Life is sooooo good.........
Sail...camp....bike...repeat
Becky

Build Journal http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=45917
Visit our blog at http://www.oldragbaggers.com
Image Image
Oldragbaggers
Gold Donating Member

Postby absolutsnwbrdr » Mon Nov 07, 2011 9:01 am

Becky, I believe that no matter what state you live in, its going to be much easier to register anything as a utility trailer. If you register as an RV, you will probably have to pass more inspections and pay higher fees.

I got my Maine paperwork returned to me :cry:

... but it was something as simple as I failed to sign one spot on the back of the registration form. Why they put the line back there, I do not know. I'm sending it back out this week.

Also, if your trailer is under 3,000GVW, then they DO NOT title them. They only need the registration form, and a check for the yearly fee.
Zach
Coming Soon...
Image Image
absolutsnwbrdr
Donating Member

Postby Oldragbaggers » Mon Nov 07, 2011 6:39 pm

I'm sorry your paperwork got bounced Zach. It's an easy fix though, right? Hope you have your plates soon.

Becky
Life is sooooo good.........
Sail...camp....bike...repeat
Becky

Build Journal http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=45917
Visit our blog at http://www.oldragbaggers.com
Image Image
Oldragbaggers
Gold Donating Member

Postby absolutsnwbrdr » Tue Nov 08, 2011 8:52 am

Yeah, should just be able to sign on the hidden line and put the papers right back in the mail. Hopefully I'll remember to do that this week!
Zach
Coming Soon...
Image Image
absolutsnwbrdr
Donating Member

Postby TJinPgh » Sat Jan 07, 2012 5:06 pm

len19070 wrote:Just another Horror Story from somebody from Pennsylvania....Not Mine.

Well...today was a sad day for my pocketbook! :(
Title transfers for an out of state vehicle are made nearly impossible for Pennsylvania residents!!!
I jumped through all the hoops that Pennsylvania told me I had to;
1) go to notary (in my case, AAA) to get Title Transfer Application.
2) go to gravel yard (yep! That's where I had to take my little girl! No one else in this county can do it!!!) to get the TD weighed, and the TD/car weighed.
3) take proof of weight to a third place (the mechanic) to get the TD inspected (even though she just was, in NY)
4) THEN...drive all the way back to the first place to submit the APPLICATION...that, theoretically, can be denied by the state.
Congatulations! I just spent $600 (MORE) to find out I have a 1600# trailer! Funny...it weighs 1450. :QM

Len,
First, let me say thank you for posting the information about Maryland.

I mentioned in my intro post that I had purchased an older (1968) Red Dale trailer from out of state. I had a signed title from the owner... a bill of sale that was notarized and PennDot STILL required me to get a special inspection.

Now, in that case, part of the issue was that it was so old that the VIN number no longer conformed to current standards and there was no weight tag on it (somebody had painted over the sticker and it had since come off).

So, like you , I needed to do all of the above. It didn't cost me any where near $600, though. A place just down the street from where I work does the inspections for $50. And, since I had just gone through a similar process getting a motorcycle I'd purchased with a salvage title done he just signed off on the paperwork for free.

Like I said, though, it would have only cost me $50 to have it done anyway. Although, most of the places I checked were closer to $100 for the same inspection.

Cost of getting it weighed was free. Like you, went to a gravel yard.

I forget what the paperwork cost me. Seem to think that I ended up, all totaled, spending about $150 to get a title on a $700 trailer. That included taxes of 7% (Pittsburgh).

At any rate, it's nice to know there is an easier way.

Just a couple of questions.

1. Do you get an actual title in your name from MD? Anything else and I'm surprised it would be that easy through PennDot.

2. Does this just work with trailers that are purchased, like those from HF or will it work with custom built frames as well, like the A-Frames that are used for the ultralights like the Pico-light?

Is there some kind of additional info that I'd need to provide to MD to have something like that certified?

3. PA didn't require any kind of inspection upon transferring the MD title to PA? That's really surprising.

Again, thanks for pointing me to this thread and providing the info. Just want to make sure I'm understanding it properly before I go any further.

Thanks,
TJ
-TJ
TJinPgh
The 300 Club

Postby parnold » Mon Jan 09, 2012 2:42 pm

absolutsnwbrdr wrote:Yeah, should just be able to sign on the hidden line and put the papers right back in the mail. Hopefully I'll remember to do that this week!

So Zach: What happened????
parnold
Donating Member

Postby absolutsnwbrdr » Mon Jan 09, 2012 4:02 pm

parnold wrote:
absolutsnwbrdr wrote:Hopefully I'll remember to do that this week!

So Zach: What happened????

Forgot to do that.... :oops: :lol:

Writing myself a note.
Zach
Coming Soon...
Image Image
absolutsnwbrdr
Donating Member

Postby parnold » Mon Jan 09, 2012 4:13 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol:

:thumbdown:

I just called them today for the packet, my pop-up of course came with no paperwork at all. I think it will be fun to have a maine plate.
parnold
Donating Member

Postby absolutsnwbrdr » Thu Jan 12, 2012 9:51 am

Ok so I just signed the hidden line, sealed the envelope, and put the postage on it! Mail carrier will pick it up this afternoon, and God willing, I'll have a legitimate Maine license plate in the next few weeks! :worship:
Zach
Coming Soon...
Image Image
absolutsnwbrdr
Donating Member

Postby parnold » Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:01 am

I looked high and low for a vin# on my trailer and can't find one. there was a tag on the side of the trailer which has a spot to write in the vin#, but nothing at all was legible. I wonder if I'll have a problem with a trailer without vin, or should I just claim it as home made... any suggestions Len?
parnold
Donating Member

Postby len19070 » Thu Jan 12, 2012 6:30 pm

parnold wrote:I looked high and low for a vin# on my trailer and can't find one. there was a tag on the side of the trailer which has a spot to write in the vin#, but nothing at all was legible. I wonder if I'll have a problem with a trailer without vin, or should I just claim it as home made... any suggestions Len?

If it were me, and I'm not telling you what to do but don't write one in...If they want one...Make one up!

If ya can't pick the Lottery number ya can't pick another trailers Vin. either.

Seriously though I Don't know Paul??/ I've never sent one in with a Vin??.

Happy Trails

Len
:peace: :peace: :peace: :peace: :peace:
http://s26.photobucket.com/user/len1907 ... 20trailers

"If you do good things, good things will happen to you"..... Earl Hickey
len19070
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby absolutsnwbrdr » Fri Jan 13, 2012 9:08 am

I thought there was a form for applying for them to assign a VIN? I'll try to find it. Could swear I saw it somewhere on teh interwebz

edit: Paul, found this website. If you scroll to the bottom, there is a section about homebuilt trailers, and it says to call them if you don't have a VIN. They handle all the paperwork for you too.

Or you could just call the Maine DOT Trailer Registration phone number and just ask them. They're pretty damn friendly! :thumbsup:
Zach
Coming Soon...
Image Image
absolutsnwbrdr
Donating Member

Postby parnold » Mon Jan 23, 2012 6:51 pm

Zach: Did you get your registration yet???

Len: How long does it usually take. I mailed mine out last Tuesday, so far the check hasn't cleared my bank. I know, I know, I'm a very impatient person. :lol:
parnold
Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Essential Information about building teardrops