Easy, Painless and Cheap way to Register your Trailer

Important Information and Stickies...
(Threads with essential information about building teardrops)

Re: Easy, Painless and Cheap way to Register your Trailer

Postby parnold » Tue Jun 19, 2012 11:54 am

Jack:

Which design were you referring to? The NJ Chapter of Tearjerkers has a logo of the state, and of course their regular logo of the car/trailer. What type of iron on's do you do? I do Dye Sub, and I have a couple vinyl cutters so I do single color stuff with iron on media. Hotmark I think is the brand I usually get.

parnold
Donating Member

Postby TJinPgh » Wed Jun 20, 2012 2:17 am

len19070 wrote:Did it, done it and got the answers.

The 30 days null & void is only if you move from one state to another. The ME. registration is specifically for Non-Residents....I have verified this by both PA. State and Local Police.

Not saying you're wrong about this. Just curious, though... did you verify it with PennDot or the police?

PennDot has so many rules and regulations that the odds of the police, at any level, knowing them all is practically non-existent.

Heck, I had to go through multiple reps and a couple of managers from PennDot itself before I could get definitive answers on the last title issue I had.

I agree, ask questions...but ask the right people! :worship:

Call the Number! 1 207 624 9000, Ext. 52151

Happy Trails

Len

Agreed.

But, in this case, you may be better off calling the DMV in your respective state rather than Maine. They aren't likely to know all the state regulations either.

I lived next to a couple of independent truckers a while back. Certainly wasn't uncommon for them to have trailers with out of state registrations around.

The main difference, though, was that the trailers weren't theirs. They were owned by somebody else.

Out of curiosity, I did a search on the PA DMV website about what "vehicles" do NOT require a permanent, PA registration.

Here is what it says about trailers...
(Non-Relevant Parts deleted)

PA Code
Chapter 13
Registration of Vehicles

1302. Vehicles Exempt From Registration
(16) Any trailer registered in another state towed by a motor vehicle registered in this Commonwealth provided:
(i) the owner has as many trailers registered in this Commonwealth as combinations so registered; or
(ii) the towing vehicle is being operated under a permanent lease to a person meeting the requirements of subparagraph (i).

So, if I am reading this correctly, I would say that it "depends."

The truckers I knew fell into the 2nd category. Most of us would be provisional under the first, I would think.

I currently have ONE trailer titled and registered here in PA. As such, if I read this correctly, I would be allowed to register ONE trailer in Maine.

However, if I build a TD I have no plans on keeping my current trailer. I figured to sell it. Which means that I will likely be illegal at that point.

This is what I mean about it being virtually impossible to know all of the rules and regulations that a state like PA has.

Now, I will say that the odds of getting caught with that sort of violation may well be non-existent. I seriously doubt that any police officer at any level WOULD know you were in violation.

Still, if you're of mind to care about such things and like to do things "by the book," I'm still not convinced that everyone would be completely legal with this.

You may read it differently, though.
-TJ
TJinPgh
The 300 Club

Postby olds-cool » Wed Jun 20, 2012 12:42 pm

So, after reading through all of this thread, I have come to the conclusion that ME issues a registration but no title for our sub-3000lb trailers. In my opinion, that would classify them as a no title state, at least in this situation. Now let me tell you of an experience that I had with getting a title on a bike. Different vehicle but the process should be similar.
I bought a bike frame from a non-title state. The frame came with the last registration card. This was all PA needed to issue me a title. I went to the local notary and explained to her that the state I bought from does not do titles but from my research all PA needed was that last registration to transfer. She made a quick call to her DMV contact and 5 minutes later had a form filled out for me. Within a few weeks I had a title in my name for said bike frame. Again, I understand that we are talking about the difference of a motorized vehicle and a non-motorized but I would expect the process to be almost identical. I plan to go the Maine route and will likely be calling them this week to discuss the details. Len, I appreciate your efforts on helping us poor schmucks get on the road!
8)
olds-cool
Teardrop Inspector

Postby TJinPgh » Wed Jun 20, 2012 3:42 pm

I'm curious. When was it that you did that with the bike frame?
-TJ
TJinPgh
The 300 Club

Postby len19070 » Wed Jun 20, 2012 3:59 pm

Please!

This thing works!

Even in Pennsylvania!

I wouldn't BS ya.

My son and I will be starting a new Trailer next week.

I will start a new thread documenting that and the process to get it registered.

It won't be long....we're very fast.

Happy Trails

Len
:peace: :peace: :peace: :peace: :peace:
http://s26.photobucket.com/user/len1907 ... 20trailers

"If you do good things, good things will happen to you"..... Earl Hickey
len19070
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby TJinPgh » Wed Jun 20, 2012 4:16 pm

I never said it didn't work. Nor did I suggest you were being anything less than honest.

What I posted there, though, is a direct quote from the PA DMV website. I, personally, don't know any other way to read that than to say that if you don't already have trailers registered (and titled) here in PA that this method won't make you legal in accordance with the law.

Do I believe you when you say that a state cop says you'd be fine? Sure. I doubt very seriously that they know. And, so long as the registration is correct they probably wouldn't have any need to look any further into it.

Being fine and being legal are two entirely different things.

It does seem, to me, that doing this is, indeed, an end run around the law here in PA. Legal for some. Not for others.

For you, if I would be correct in thinking that you already have some PA titled trailers, then this method is pretty much legit.

For me? If I decide to sell my existing trailer then it's not.

Like I said, I don't doubt anything you've said other than the legality part.

For me.. and this is just for me, I just don't know that it's worth the couple of bucks it costs to get a trailer titled and registered here in PA.
-TJ
TJinPgh
The 300 Club

Postby len19070 » Wed Jun 20, 2012 4:27 pm

olds-cool wrote: Len, I appreciate your efforts on helping us poor schmucks get on the road!
8)

Your quite welcome.

Happy Trails

Len

len19070
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby Oldragbaggers » Wed Jun 20, 2012 6:08 pm

Oh, come on TJ...take a walk on the wild side!!! :twisted:

Seriously though, if you're not comfortable with it, then just don't do it.
Life is sooooo good.........
Sail...camp....bike...repeat
Becky

Build Journal http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=45917
Visit our blog at http://www.oldragbaggers.com
Image Image
Oldragbaggers
Gold Donating Member

Postby len19070 » Wed Jun 20, 2012 6:42 pm

I've heard 4 different types of responses to this Post.

1. Thank You.....Your Welcome

2. I did it and am very happy with the results.......Glad it worked out for you

3. Hey! in my State its easy........thanks for rubbing it in :lol:

4. I'm skeptical........
Oldragbaggers wrote:Oh, come on TJ...take a walk on the wild side!!! :twisted:

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Happy Trails

Len

len19070
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby TJinPgh » Wed Jun 20, 2012 8:18 pm

Oldragbaggers wrote:Oh, come on TJ...take a walk on the wild side!!! :twisted:

You'll note that I didn't tell anybody not to do it.

It's just always been common practice in the forums I've belonged to over the years that, if you see something that skirts the edge of legality that you point it out to other potential readers.

Call it a legal disclaimer, if you will.

If the information isn't appreciated it can always be ignored or deleted.
-TJ
TJinPgh
The 300 Club

Postby olds-cool » Wed Jun 20, 2012 9:20 pm

TJ, it was 2 years ago that I did that bike title. Again, there may be a difference with a trailer title since it isn't motorized...but I doubt it. Stop into a smaller notary in your area. The smaller ones are usually willing to give you a few minutes worth of time to answer title questions. Just reciprocate the favor and go back when it's time to transfer
olds-cool
Teardrop Inspector

Postby TJinPgh » Thu Jun 21, 2012 1:05 am

olds-cool wrote:TJ, it was 2 years ago that I did that bike title. Again, there may be a difference with a trailer title since it isn't motorized...but I doubt it. Stop into a smaller notary in your area. The smaller ones are usually willing to give you a few minutes worth of time to answer title questions. Just reciprocate the favor and go back when it's time to transfer

I've worked with both big and small notaries. I realize that the smaller ones are usually easier to deal with.

That said, I still can't fathom how you managed to get a title with nothing more than a registration card from another state. Did the title reflect a complete motorcycle with the VIN number of the frame or did you simply get a salvage title for the frame?

I'm genuinely curious since I've seen guys have title paperwork rejected from the state with far more documentation than that.

I had a signed and notarized Ohio title and I STILL needed to get an enhanced inspection before the state would title my bike.

When I bought my trailer 2 years ago I had a title from the previous owner and still needed to get it inspected before a notary would even submit it.

If dealing with PennDot was nearly as easy for the rest of us as it was for you, there wouldn't be much need for this thread.
-TJ
TJinPgh
The 300 Club

Postby harleymsn » Thu Jun 21, 2012 7:45 am

TJ, there are a lot of states that don't title older vehicles. NY doesn't title anything older than 1972 (the year they began issuing titles). When I moved to TN I brought along a 1967 trailer. The NY registration stated that it was a Transferable Registration, when I took it to the county clerk here I explained it to the girl, she looked it up in a book, handed me my plate and registration, and I received a title in the mail about a week later. In 2009, I bought a 1950 Ford truck in Georgia, it too was not titled for the same reason. When I took the registration and bill of sale to the clerk, again no problem at all.
harleymsn
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Oldragbaggers » Thu Jun 21, 2012 8:15 am

There are a lot of states that don't title certain things, like boats under a certain length, trailers under a certain weight, or vehicles over a certain age. But all states, in regards to vehicle transfer, honor the laws and procedures of the state the vehicle was previously registered in. And of course all states have access to what the laws are in all other states. So if you are transferring a vehicle from a state that is a "no title state" for the vehicle in question, and you present whatever the correct documentation would be in the state the vehicle is coming from, that documentation should be adequate to get new documentation title/registration in the state you are transferring the vehicle to. Even though your vehicle was not issued a title in the previous state, if titles are required for that vehicle in the new state, they will issue one. Where you would run into a problem is if you had only a registration from a state that normally DOES issue a title for that particular vehicle.

Therefore, if Maine is a "no title state" for trailers under 3000#, you could not, and would not be expected to, produce a title to transfer a trailer under 3000# that was previously registered in Maine. My game plan, and this has been proven to work by others, is to register the trailer in Maine for one year. At the end of that year (theoretically you could do it as soon as you get it, I would think) I will take my perfectly legal Maine registration to the Maryland MVA and apply for a title and MD registration.

TJ, I wasn't implying that you were telling anyone else not to do it. And good information is always appreciated. I just got the impression that you were very uncomfortable with the process so suggested that maybe it wasn't right for you. But others have used it successfully for a number of years and have no problem with it.
Life is sooooo good.........
Sail...camp....bike...repeat
Becky

Build Journal http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=45917
Visit our blog at http://www.oldragbaggers.com
Image Image
Oldragbaggers
Gold Donating Member

Postby TJinPgh » Thu Jun 21, 2012 9:18 am

Oldragbaggers wrote:There are a lot of states that don't title certain things, like boats under a certain length, trailers under a certain weight, or vehicles over a certain age. But all states, in regards to vehicle transfer, honor the laws and procedures of the state the vehicle was previously registered in. And of course all states have access to what the laws are in all other states. So if you are transferring a vehicle from a state that is a "no title state" for the vehicle in question, and you present whatever the correct documentation would be in the state the vehicle is coming from, that documentation should be adequate to get new documentation title/registration in the state you are transferring the vehicle to. Even though your vehicle was not issued a title in the previous state, if titles are required for that vehicle in the new state, they will issue one. Where you would run into a problem is if you had only a registration from a state that normally DOES issue a title for that particular vehicle.

I'm aware of this.

I'm not denying that it would be possible to get a title.

I'm saying that it would involve more than simply handing them a registration card and saying "here, this is mine now. Give me a title."

I can't speak to TN and MD, but PA is anal about EVERYTHING.

Particuarly over the last 10 years where identity theft is an issue.

PA requires notarized signatures of the seller and buyer on everything.

I bought my trailer from somebody living in Ohio, but they had moved from out west. Ohio never required them to transfer title to Ohio so they didn't. The state where it was registered had a title but, unlike PA, there was no place on it for a notary to sign.

I had to get a notarized bill of sale and I STILL needed an enhanced inspection before the state would issue a title.

I'm just astounded that one could get a title for a bike with nothing more than a registration card.

I am NOT saying it didn't happen. Just simply can't imagine how it happened.

All of this would suggest that I could take the registration card from Maine, which is a no-title state, and simply take it to a notary here in PA and say give me a title and that would be it.

Len, if you're still reading this, have you tried getting a title on the trailers you've gone the maine route with in PA? If so, what did it involve?

TJ, I wasn't implying that you were telling anyone else not to do it. And good information is always appreciated. I just got the impression that you were very uncomfortable with the process so suggested that maybe it wasn't right for you. But others have used it successfully for a number of years and have no problem with it.

I am uncomfortable with it. Not because it bypasses PA regulations. Lord knows I've given them enough money over the years. But, because it DOESN'T bypass PA regulations.

Not in all cases, at least. It simply creates a situation where you're not likely to be caught violating them.

My only point in this was to not assume that this works for everybody. To check with the laws in your state before doing it and make sure.

I'm sure the folks over in Maine are quite knowledeable about the laws in THEIR state. I'm also quite sure that they know what it takes to transfer something from PA to there. I do not assume that they know every detail about our laws and can tell me with any real certainty whether what I'd be doing conforms with every possible law that a state may have on the issue.

It's up to the individual to make sure they're in compliance, not Maine.

Now, if you really can get a title from nothing more than a registration card from a no-title state, then that's a different issue entirely.

Which is why I'm curious if Len has actually inquired about what all would be necessary to get a title here in PA on those trailers he's done this with.

I suspect, in addition to the usual title transfer stuff it will require an enhanced inspection. But, if that's not the case I'm sure many of us would like to know.
-TJ
TJinPgh
The 300 Club

PreviousNext

Return to Essential Information about building teardrops