I just bought my NT 5x8 trailer. I wanted to know how do you guys go about registering this in NEW YORK. The site is very consing and no one there (dmv) actually answers the phone. I did not build my tear yet just "dotting my 'I's and crossing my 't's before I start.
Thanks much Dan
Dan, You may already have the answers to your questions, but I am in NY and had to jump through the following hoops.
1. Fill out registration form (MV-82) http://dmv.ny.gov/forms/mv82.pdf
2. I got my trailer weighed (paid $5)
3. Submitted my receipts to the DMV (they only looked at the ones I didn't pay tax on, then charged me tax) along with the paperwork for registration and a VIN #. I did not have to title my trailer, but I can't remember why.... I think because it was under 1000#s, but the instructions were on the DMV form. Here is the form I used for reference. http://dmv.ny.gov/forms/vs105.pdf http://dmv.ny.gov/org/forms/mv272.pdf
is the form for the VIN number. They gave me plates and registration ticket and said I had ten days to get it inspected.
4. Then I made sure that I permanently attached the VIN to my trailer. (I used a dremel to etch it into aluminum then attached it to my tongue rack with pop rivets)
5. I went to a garage (any will do) and they inspected it. Actually, they all came out of the shop to check out the trailer, which was cool.
6. This Spring I will renew my registration and I should be good to get on the road!
I used the following form for all my lights and reflectors for my trailer. I didn't put the red and amber reflectors on the side (just the lights), but they didn't say anything at inspection. http://dmv.ny.gov/forms/mv529c.pdf
Hope this helps.