cRAIGS LIST SCAMMERS

Important Information and Stickies...
(Threads with essential information about building teardrops)

cRAIGS LIST SCAMMERS

Postby bobhenry » Wed Nov 14, 2012 2:09 pm

Well another of lifes lessons experienced.

I place 2 family antiques on Craigs list 10 - 12 days ago. I recieved several offers all of which were worried about how to get me a check for "IT" along with a request to please cancel the ad immediatly. I had placed a dual listing of an 1893 walnut queen anne style curio cabinet and a 1910 golden oak murphy bed at $700.00 ,either or, their choice. Two follow up e mails and I still didn't have a clear answer which piece the most persistant one actually wanted. Well this AM a check shows up for $2493.61. No shipping instructions no explaination which piece they want and no reason for the excessive amount of the check. I have had 2 calls and 2 emails inquiring as to the status of the check. They seem to be real interested to see if it has been deposited. Oh by the way the calls were from a Georgia area code The return address on the shipping package was fron a fellow in a mailorder on line college in New Jersey and the check is drawn on a Corporation that is a insurance clearing house for blue cross and blue shield. The check looks very authentic and yet I requested the bank be absolutely certain it was good funds before cashing, it was of course worthless. They forwared it to their fraud division. I can only guess the scammers motivation but my thoughts are If you are stupid enough to simply deposit it and in a few days you get hung with it they will offer to correct the oversights if you will just return the money so they can correct the error or something even more synister that I can not even fathom. Well all toll so far I have 3 of these type inquires in my e mail box. I will take what I have to the US Postal authorities and see if they want to play as well since their priority package and overnight service are part of the rather convincing ploy. So I'm just having fun scamming the scammers. Once again it is proven, if it seems to good to be true it probably
is ( to good to be true)
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Re: cRAIGS LIST SCAMMERS

Postby legojenn » Wed Nov 14, 2012 2:36 pm

Considering how quick and inexpensive it is to send out bogus cheques, it just takes one sucker for a big payday.
Jenn
legojenn
The 300 Club

Postby wagondude » Sat Jan 26, 2013 7:24 pm

Thier plan on the scam is to have you deposit the check and send them what they bought. They also have you send them a check for the overage(minus some for your trouble). They get an itm that they can sell for real money plus whatever real money you send them from the overage. You get the amount of the bogus check removed from your account plus fees for all the other checks you bounce as a result of insufficiant funds. Kudos to you for being suspicious and not getting scammed.
Bill

TnTTT ORIGIONAL 200A LANTERN CLUB
wagondude
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby nhstt » Fri Feb 08, 2013 8:23 am

My husband foiled one of these. The check was drawn on a Catholic University for more than we where asking . They asked by email for us to cash the check and said their agent would pick up the difference when they got the product. If anyone out there get's something like this go straight to the police! Craig's list is very bad for this. Nothing matched in the back story, and the emails where from another country! Glad you didn't get taken. let's get everyone wise so these low life's go away!
Karen
nhstt
Teardrop Master

Postby _Ryan_ » Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:21 am

The simple rule of craigslist is DEAL LOCALLY. When I sell anything I make sure I meet someone face to face and only take cash. Doing this eliminates 99% of all scammers.

Just my 2 cents. :D
_Ryan_
Teardrop Master

Postby GerryS » Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:26 am

That's good advise. And, don't meet at your home, or leave evidence of your identity around. CL is a cesspool where absolute paranoia is just common sense.
GerryS
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby RioWilson » Fri Feb 08, 2013 7:03 pm

nhstt wrote:If anyone out there get's something like this go straight to the police!

I'll try to save my fellow coppers some headaches - Just to clarify - if you have lost money in a transaction, yes go to the police. If you just want to report it as fraudulent activity but have not incurred a loss - http://www.ic3.gov. Local law enforcement doesn't have the resources, or even jurisdiction, to deal with all of these cases. Like another poster said - unless it's local...it's most likely a scam.
RioWilson
Teardrop Master

Postby amblt » Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:59 am

I once advertised a trailer for sale and began to receive email from people in Europe who wanted to know all my banking information in order to make a money transfer. No cheques involved, but I sent all to the RCMP for their action. The emails stopped.

Keep your heads up, guys.
amblt
Teardrop Inspector

Postby 5pwelder » Tue May 14, 2013 6:58 pm

I deal on Craigslist everyday, buying, selling, and trading.
There are a few things I have learned....
Always put a phone number, but spell out at least one number to keep bots from stealing your number.
If your not comfy putting your # on there, Craigslist probably isn't for you, sorry. It's the best way.
Alway ignore emails, and always state "no emails " in your ad.
If u really want to sell something phone is the best way.
If something seems fishy, it is. I promise.
Always offer to meet the buyer/seller somewhere, I don't want some stranger casing my home.
The only sure thing is green paper. $$$. All else is a NO GO!!
If an ad has no phone number, 75% chance it's bogus
Never, ever, ever, send funds electronically. Ever. Your money WILL B GONE. Western union, money gram.
Many more things to learn, but these will save u some agony!

Just Thot I would pass some of my hard learned lessons on....
5pwelder
Teardrop Builder

Postby Phillyboi » Thu Sep 05, 2013 6:04 pm

Here is another Craig's list story that might be applicable to teardroppers.

In Philly, over the summer, someone posted a 4wheeler online. Advertised it as cash only. Some guy showed up, the seller took him around the corner, killed him then took his money.

Be careful out there!
Phillyboi
Teardrop Builder

Postby steve_29045 » Sun Apr 06, 2014 10:32 pm

I have only sold about 10 things on Craigslist and all have worked out for me.... I only take cash money for a sale, I will meet at a gas station close by, and I NEVER NEVER NEVER deal with anyone who does not have the same area code as me!

IF you follow the rules and NOT allow yourself to be played, you can easily sell things on there for free...
steve_29045
Teardrop Inspector

Postby jseyfert3 » Mon Apr 07, 2014 1:03 am

steve_29045 wrote:I have only sold about 10 things on Craigslist and all have worked out for me.... I only take cash money for a sale, I will meet at a gas station close by, and I NEVER NEVER NEVER deal with anyone who does not have the same area code as me!

Just want to point out that with cell phones, it's quite probable to get someone local with a different area code. Just say you can get a number when you live at one place, then move. You keep your number, but now the area code doesn't match where you live. Also, as the FCC has mandated that all carriers allow you to transfer your number to another carrier, you can move your number when you switch carriers, so you could keep a number forever, no matter where you live.

I'm 22, own my own house, and do not have, and almost certainly will never have a landline telephone. I also have no plans for changing my number when I (likely) will move in the future, since keeping the same number means you don't have to notify everyone about your new number. (Though if I join the Air Force after I finish my B.S. as I'm currently thinking of doing and get stationed outside the US, I wouldn't be able to keep my number unless I wanted to pay for a phone I couldn't use)
jseyfert3
Teardrop Master

Postby MtnDon » Mon Apr 07, 2014 1:13 am

jseyfert3 wrote:Just want to point out that with cell phones, it's quite probable to get someone local with a different area code.

Yep. In our small home based business where we deal with about 18 - 20 families for a year or so at a time, we presently have 6 families that have a telephone number with an area code that is out of state. Our state has only 2 area codes. Yet all families live here within a few miles radius. Plus 1 of those 5 have yet a different area code listed as the telephone for one of the parents.
Our 6x12 deep vee nose cargo trailer camper conversion... viewtopic.php?f=42&t=58336

We have a small off grid cabin we built ourselves in the NM mountains; small PV solar system; 624 watts PV, Outback CC & inverter/charger ... http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=2335.0
MtnDon
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby steve_29045 » Mon Apr 07, 2014 7:53 am

jseyfert3 wrote:
steve_29045 wrote:I have only sold about 10 things on Craigslist and all have worked out for me.... I only take cash money for a sale, I will meet at a gas station close by, and I NEVER NEVER NEVER deal with anyone who does not have the same area code as me!

Just want to point out that with cell phones, it's quite probable to get someone local with a different area code. Just say you can get a number when you live at one place, then move. You keep your number, but now the area code doesn't match where you live. Also, as the FCC has mandated that all carriers allow you to transfer your number to another carrier, you can move your number when you switch carriers, so you could keep a number forever, no matter where you live.

Very true... but If they do not show up at the local gas station a mile from my house, I am only out maybe 50 cents worth of gas for the round trip

i should add as well, I would never give anyone my address to mail a check or money order to.... we meet and cash is the answer!
steve_29045
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Redneck Teepee » Mon Apr 07, 2014 9:05 am

5pwelder wrote:I deal on Craigslist everyday, buying, selling, and trading.
There are a few things I have learned....
Always put a phone number, but spell out at least one number to keep bots from stealing your number.
If your not comfy putting your # on there, Craigslist probably isn't for you, sorry. It's the best way.
Alway ignore emails, and always state "no emails " in your ad.
If u really want to sell something phone is the best way.
If something seems fishy, it is. I promise.
Always offer to meet the buyer/seller somewhere, I don't want some stranger casing my home.
The only sure thing is green paper. $$$. All else is a NO GO!!
If an ad has no phone number, 75% chance it's bogus
Never, ever, ever, send funds electronically. Ever. Your money WILL B GONE. Western union, money gram.
Many more things to learn, but these will save u some agony!

Just Thot I would pass some of my hard learned lessons on....

Ditto on all the above, the one thing I add is.... "no text, will not respond to text".... and I still get them, but it will weed out you having to answer a dummy who can't read. 99.9% of the time if they have to call you they are legit. :thumbsup:
I fear the day that technology will surpass our human interaction, the world will have a generation of idiot's.
Redneck Teepee
Silver Donating Member

Next

Return to Essential Information about building teardrops