UK trailer law

Important Information and Stickies...
(Threads with essential information about building teardrops)

UK trailer law

Postby winchman » Sat Jan 26, 2013 3:48 am

Heres a few details
http://www.trailerforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=162673
Basically if you build a trailer now it has to have an IVA test cost £70.
If its classed as a caravan as long as you build it and finish it before 2014 no test is required.
I would suggest making a chassis plate with your name as the manufactuirer and any other details VOSA reccomend for one then add the year of manufacturer
Please check the VOSA web site for exact details.
winchman
Teardrop Builder

Re: UK trailer law

Postby Vindi_andy » Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:18 am

This has been discussed at length on TCGB and the conclusion is that as long as a tear has a bed, a galley and some storage it is calssed as a special type and therefore doesnt need IVA until 2014.
Boys never grow in to men the toys just get more expensive and more dangerous

How true :)
Vindi_andy
Teardrop Master

Postby winchman » Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:21 am

Vindi_andy wrote:This has been discussed at length on TCGB and the conclusion is that as long as a tear has a bed, a galley and some storage it is calssed as a special type and therefore doesnt need IVA until 2014.

Thanks for that, I have asked VOSA but still no reply.
Any thoughts on how I can do a bed with a cat flap for my feet?
winchman
Teardrop Builder

Postby kevanf1 » Sun Apr 14, 2013 2:55 pm

How would the powers that be know when you had built your teardrop or tiny trailer? One could start a new build in say 2016 then start using it. But how do those at VOSA know these dates? I believe the trailer MoT idea has been scrapped.

Not looking for an argument just genuinely curious about this because it may well affect me :)
kevanf1
Teardrop Inspector

Postby pbeardsley » Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:09 am

I guess the simple answer is they don't. Often though if you are pulled over and they suspect that the trailer is "iffy" in some way, that is all they need to remove it from the road, the onus is very much on YOU to prove that things are in order rather than VOSA/Police to prove that they are not.
I suppose they are instigating these laws now, knowing that to an extent they are un-enforcable to make life easier down the road, there will come a time in ten years maybe or however long when the "I built this shining new trailer before the IVA deadline" simply isn't feasible anymore! :lol: At present I guess they have to rely on honesty to an extent.

On a related note (and not having a pop at anyone on this thread!), I do think that if people spent as much time and effort complying with the applicable laws rather than trying to get round them then things would be better all round. In fairness if a trailer cannot comply with the current IVA test, then it really shouldn't be on the road as the rules are pretty basic and a lot of the technical stuff is available on the Internet already regarding tongue strength and nose weight etc. VOSA are very helpful people too, they are there to help as much as enforce.
Pete
pbeardsley
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Spardo » Wed May 29, 2013 2:40 am

pbeardsley wrote:............... In fairness if a trailer cannot comply with the current IVA test, then it really shouldn't be on the road as the rules are pretty basic and a lot of the technical stuff is available on the Internet already regarding tongue strength and nose weight etc. VOSA are very helpful people too, they are there to help as much as enforce.

That's interesting Pete, because I have a current problem with a teardrop bought from the makers in Leicester on 22nd of April and which suffered a complete failure 17 days later when the A-frame snapped off at the point where it was welded (very badly) to the front chassis member.

So far I have been in touch with Trading Standards and some consumer organisations, also my insurance company has handed it to their legal department in Paris, but is a direct contact with VOSA a good idea too?
Salut, David

Follow my travels with dogs at:
http://longdistancedogdiary.weebly.com
Spardo
Teardrop Builder

Return to Essential Information about building teardrops