Complete teardrop parts list and cost breakdown

Important Information and Stickies...
(Threads with essential information about building teardrops)

Complete teardrop parts list and cost breakdown

Postby _Ryan_ » Sun Nov 30, 2014 11:31 am

Over the course of my teardrop build I kept a copy of all my receipts to track expenses and stay on my budget :lol:. As time went on I made some changes, Okoume for the outer skin for example, and stopped actively tracking it.

With my build behind me I took a deep breath and went back and tallied up all my expenses, big and small, to see what the final damage was. I came up with the following spreadsheet if anyone is interested, Wyoming Woody: Parts list and cost breakdown.

To save you the suspense it came in just under $4,500 for the parts, glue, screws, etc. that went into the final build. So much for my initial estimate of $2,500...
_Ryan_
Teardrop Master

Re: Complete teardrop parts list and cost breakdown

Postby working on it » Sun Nov 30, 2014 1:21 pm

_Ryan_ wrote:Over the course of my teardrop build I kept a copy of all my receipts to track expenses and stay on my budget :lol:. As time went on I made some changes, Okoume for the outer skin for example, and stopped actively tracking it.

With my build behind me I took a deep breath and went back and tallied up all my expenses, big and small, to see what the final damage was. I came up with the following spreadsheet if anyone is interested, Wyoming Woody: Parts list and cost breakdown.

To save you the suspense it came in just under $4,500 for the parts, glue, screws, etc. that went into the final build. So much for my initial estimate of $2,500...
I admire your courage...I didn't want to face the reality of a "hobby/project gone wild" discussion with the wife (again). As I stated in a previous post:
working on it wrote:I told my wife "You don't want to know", but the truth is "I" don't want to know. In an earlier posting/thread, I related how the costs kept rising far beyond the $500 I told her at first. I started a cost spreadsheet, and threw it away to hide the evidence! Buying pieces here and there, buying parts I never used, and mixing parts I bought for the trailer with other projects...all this made accounting impossible (and impossible for her to track; I used cash for many purchases, and made purchases of unrelated items at the same time). I can't find that earlier post right now, but I detailed why I did what I did. I used to build and race my vehicles under the same untraceable spending pattern as now. But, I would guess $1k-1.5K, including even the junk trailer I started with ($50). 86927
In retrospect, and after another year of modifications, and perusing the parts and tools(some only used once or twice, others being used daily- justifying their purchase!) left over from the last 3 years of building (start 'til now), I'd have to at least double or triple+ my cost estimates. My wife never looks at my forum posts (fortunately), so I can confess that I never had any intention to only spend $500 !
2013 HHRv "squareback/squaredrop", rugged, 4x8 TTT, 2225 lbs
  • *3500 lb Dexter EZ-Lube braked axle, 3000 lb.springs, active-progressive bumpstop suspension
  • *27 x 8.5-14LT AT tires (x 3) *Weight Distribution system for single-beam tongue
  • *100% LED's & GFCI outlets, 3x fans, AM/FM/CD/Aux. *A/C & heat, Optima AGM, inverter & charger(s)
  • *extended-run, on-board, 2500w generator *Coleman dual-fuel stove & lantern, Ikea grill, vintage skillet
  • *zinc/stainless front & side racks *98"L x 6" diameter rod & reel carrier tube on roof
working on it
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby S. Heisley » Sun Nov 30, 2014 9:29 pm

Ryan, that is an excellent break-down of costs. Thank you. :thumbsup:

I've never totally listed everything....I was too chicken! :chicken:
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby _Ryan_ » Wed Dec 03, 2014 6:30 am

Most surprising was the cost of all the small things. Also the Okume + Epoxy + Spar Varnish took a big bite. I was amazed that I also went through 13 tubes of PL Premium and 16 tubes of PL 300 foam adhesive!

Apparently the best way to anticipate your final costs is to prepare a decent initial estimate, and then double it! This seems to be the norm for a lot of others on this forum as well. :lol:
_Ryan_
Teardrop Master

Postby tony.latham » Wed Dec 03, 2014 7:06 pm

Ryan:

It's great that you posted this list.

I was amazed that I also went through 13 tubes of PL Premium

I finally figured out that you can save significantly by buying the big 28 oz tubes. Sure, they are kinda unwieldy but you get used to them. Looking at Home Depot right now, a 10 oz tube of PL costs $4.67 (47¢/oz.) and a 28 oz. tube costs $6.98. (25¢/oz.).

T
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby Gunguy05 » Tue Dec 09, 2014 7:25 am

I agree in the glue thing. I have severely underestimated the small things such as glue, screws (many different types), PL prem, hinges for cabinets. Heck I spent over a hundred bucks on inside cabinet hinges/latches/screws.

Great work, and great website documentation. I have started a thread on my personal blog of the basic steps, but I think I may do a similar TD only blog when I get done and give a more in depth explanation as you have done.
Brian

Checkout my buildThe Regal Eagle Bow front for 4
Also my teardrop updates from blog on Dad Rambles
Gunguy05
The 300 Club

Postby ctstaas » Fri Dec 19, 2014 8:01 pm

Hi Ryan, Beauty job! The plans I used said it could be built for $700. Well, $2,000 later I have my own, far from complete but functional. I can easily justify the extra expense ( new tires/ wheels vs. picked wheels and tires) for safety reasons and didn't even blink. I figured my next build at $2,000 and know it's a no frills estimate but is realistic with little room for slippage.
I would suggest scrubbing the tools not spent on the build from your budget or final expense. If you can use it on your next build it shouldn't be included in the expense. By figuring out what it actually cost you can estimate the value. A general rule of thumb commonly used is 1/3 materials and 2/3 labor. If the materials cost $4,000 the labor can be expected to cost $8,000 for a total of $12,000. For more complicated work I use the math 1/5 material and 4/5 labor. Whatever the math it is important to control the budget so if you would be willing to sell it wouldn't cost $3,000,000. Yours could easily be worth $12,000 at least so your wife should be pretty happy with that, right?
You will be very popular if you camp in public so I hope you're not shy.
Enjoy, Chris
ctstaas
Teardrop Master

Postby tony.latham » Sun Dec 21, 2014 10:14 pm

I built a 4x8' for my sister -cabin only– and it was $1790.69 ready to bolt to their custom built chassis and head out for the hills.

That's on the low-ball 'cause they ordered the Frank Bear doors, Fantastic Fan, and the hatch hinge. That's close to another $900.

T
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Return to Essential Information about building teardrops