California Registration Question..

Important Information and Stickies...
(Threads with essential information about building teardrops)

California Registration Question..

Postby ginpiston » Thu Dec 18, 2014 3:57 pm

Hey all,
I'm getting ready to start my build.The trailer is built, got my lumber........ my question is what is the registration process for a tear in California. Do you register just the cargo trailer, do you register it as a travel trailer .... is there anything I should know, considering I know nothing??? :scratchthinking:
ginpiston
Teardrop Inspector

Re: California Registration Question..

Postby MtnDon » Thu Dec 18, 2014 4:10 pm

Think ahead to insurance while you are at it. If the trailer starts life as a cargo trailer but you insert things like a bed, sink, toilet in the eyes of most if not all insurance companies it is then a travel trailer and they charge accordingly. Most likely the same thought process will be at work with the state DMV. Most insurance treat the CT as being insured by the TV for things like basic comprehensive and collision. But if you don't tell about the RV type changes they can refuse to cover that.
Last edited by MtnDon on Thu Dec 18, 2014 5:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Our 6x12 deep vee nose cargo trailer camper conversion... viewtopic.php?f=42&t=58336

We have a small off grid cabin we built ourselves in the NM mountains; small PV solar system; 624 watts PV, Outback CC & inverter/charger ... http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=2335.0
MtnDon
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby ginpiston » Thu Dec 18, 2014 4:14 pm

Good points, Don. Thanks for your insight.
ginpiston
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Gage » Thu Dec 18, 2014 4:52 pm

I love it when someone from out of state tells you what to do and in all actuality they don't know what they are talking about. :thumbdown: As an example. My Burro which has everything MtnDon noted is registered as a CAMP TRAILER with permanent tags. So wait until you get your trailer built and then register it. When in doubt, check with your local DMV. My teardrop is also registered as a CAMP TRAILER with permanent tags. :yes:
Image Image Image
Remember 'Teardrop Time'.......Take your time, you don't have to have it finished NOW.
Gage
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby ctstaas » Fri Dec 19, 2014 7:21 pm

Hi Ginpiston, When I registered mine (CA) I told them it was a hand made trailer. He asked how much it cost to build and I said $1,000. He said sounds good. $20.00 later and I had a permanent trailer plate. He placed the sticker on personally and suggested I stamp the number in two places; one on the tongue near the tag and the other underneigth in case of theft. It was a pain to stamp upside down but it doesn't have to be pretty.
I couldn't believe how cool, easy and cheap the registration process was. I usually bring a big tub of vasoline to the DMV but not this time.
Enjoy, Chris
ctstaas
Teardrop Master

Postby Redneck Teepee » Fri Dec 19, 2014 7:30 pm

Yes California is actually simple, Ca does not require a "Pink Slip" (title) on these types any more but for about an extra $7 they will process one for you, and I suggest you spend the $7.... it gives guy's like me peace of mind for some reason. :)
I fear the day that technology will surpass our human interaction, the world will have a generation of idiot's.
Redneck Teepee
Silver Donating Member

Postby S. Heisley » Fri Dec 19, 2014 9:40 pm

In California, the difference between a camp trailer/utility trailer and a travel trailer/RV is whether the unit has a plumbed toilet in it.
Most teardrops and tiny trailers don't have plumbed toilets.
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby Gage » Fri Dec 19, 2014 11:28 pm

S. Heisley wrote:In California, the difference between a camp trailer/utility trailer and a travel trailer/RV is whether the unit has a plumbed toilet in it.

Wrong. DMV doesn't even ask that question any more. The main difference is how long is it, measured from hitch to the furthest point at the rear of the trailer... Like that all teardrops and travel trailers regardless of what is inside, if under 15' is considered a Camp Trailer. ;)
Image Image Image
Remember 'Teardrop Time'.......Take your time, you don't have to have it finished NOW.
Gage
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby backstrap bandit » Sat Dec 20, 2014 6:33 am

Here in louisiana we can register just the trailer if the tear is remove able and they also just did away with the inspection sticker for all small trailers
backstrap bandit
Teardrop Master

Postby backstrap bandit » Sat Dec 20, 2014 6:36 am

You should call dmv and ask its that simple you may be able to do just the traler I'm using a harbor freight trailer and the statement of origin paper states utility trailer
backstrap bandit
Teardrop Master

Postby S. Heisley » Sat Dec 20, 2014 8:59 pm

Gage wrote:
S. Heisley wrote:In California, the difference between a camp trailer/utility trailer and a travel trailer/RV is whether the unit has a plumbed toilet in it.

Wrong. DMV doesn't even ask that question any more. The main difference is how long is it, measured from hitch to the furthest point at the rear of the trailer... Like that all teardrops and travel trailers regardless of what is inside, if under 15' is considered a Camp Trailer. ;)

Thanks for that, Gage. I got my information from the DMV 3 years ago. It must've changed since then.
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby Redneck Teepee » Sun Dec 21, 2014 8:51 am

I had read this quite a while ago and had to search for it but this may help you prepare to show up with all your t's crossed and i's dotted.

:D :D :D

http://td.roughwheelers.com/DMV/index.html#PICT0613.jpg
I fear the day that technology will surpass our human interaction, the world will have a generation of idiot's.
Redneck Teepee
Silver Donating Member

Return to Essential Information about building teardrops