New Door Question

Important Information and Stickies...
(Threads with essential information about building teardrops)

New Door Question

Postby epearce » Fri Apr 10, 2015 5:47 pm

So my boyfriend and I just bought a teardrop that was 80% built by a military guy who go deployed. The unit is a wood custom concept based on whatever ideas he had so we are a little perplexed on what to do with the doors. What we are wondering is should we do them flush in the cutout with flashing and such or cut them larger so they overlap and then do flashing. All that I have seen have been flush with the cutout. Thoughts? Advice? We have to recut the doors (he had window holes we aren't using) so we have flexibility.

Thanks!
epearce
Teardrop Inspector

Re: New Door Question

Postby dales133 » Fri Apr 10, 2015 6:03 pm

Flush looks better imho
dales133
4000 Club
4000 Club

Re: New Door Question

Postby ctstaas » Mon Apr 20, 2015 10:39 pm

Hi There and welcome. This is how I did mine on a low budget. I cut my door from the side plywood flush with the floor. Some have a lip on their entry but I wanted to be able to sit comfortably in the doorway.Mine is 35" tall and 30" wide or so? I trimmed the door opening on the upper three sides with two courses of 3/4" Al. angle. The lower surface was covered with 1 1/2" Al. angle (a bullet proof threshold) and is fit first. The other three edges were trimmed with two pieces of Al. angle screwed to the edge of the opening. With the first course the one leg fit the perimeter of the opening and the other leg is in the opening. It works as both a door stop and weather guard. The second course covers the edge of the first and is the exterior trim. All four edges of the door are trimmed with the same material and hinged with a piano hinge. I bought the latch and handles from Grant @ Lil' Bear but he retired so? The window is from a RV supply.
All miters were cut by hand with a hacksaw because they needed to be perfect and my powersaws were too fast to be considered for use. In general for most projects, cut the longest pieces first. This can give you at least one try over if needed, sometimes. Joinery of the quality required takes time so have a plan and sneak up on it. Drill the trim larger then the screws and countersink the sides without the hinge.
You can click on the camera icon by my info and see my gallery. Good luck and making memories in a TD starts now.
Enjoy, Chris
ctstaas
Teardrop Master

Return to Essential Information about building teardrops