uninsulated camper

Important Information and Stickies...
(Threads with essential information about building teardrops)

uninsulated camper

Postby snowqueen » Sat Apr 11, 2015 7:59 am

I am thinking of buying a runnaway camper but it is not insulated. Would it be possible to insulate? If so what how do I go about doing this?
snowqueen
Teardrop Inspector

Re: uninsulated camper

Postby 39Ratrod » Sat Apr 11, 2015 9:29 am

Do they have carpeted walls? If so that should be plenty I would think.
The biggest difference between a dreamer and a doer is the follow through.
39Ratrod
Teardrop Master

Postby KennethW » Sat Apr 11, 2015 10:50 am

Maybe a blanket liner? Some blankets cut to fit and some snaps ties or velcro.
Fairly easy with a warm feeling.
Just a thought.
KennethW
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby snowqueen » Sat Apr 11, 2015 12:23 pm

Thank you for your suggestions. Well appreciated.
The walls and ceiling are 3/4 ply and interior walls are 1/8 luan. Outside has aluminum. I was thinking of sacrificing some inside space with gluing on 1/2 insulation then another sheet of 1/8 luan. Also insulating the floor with same. Other then that I am lost. I was going to build my camper and have gathered info for the last year but decided to go with the Runaway as it is bare bones and almost the style I was thinking of. Also my schedule is way too hectic for me to complete it. The reason it needs to be insulated is that my plans are to take a trip to Nova Scotia and Alaska.
Again folks, yours suggestions are well appreciated. Thanks a bunch. Barbara
snowqueen
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Woodbutcher » Sat Apr 11, 2015 4:57 pm

I am not a huge fan of insulation. Unless you camp in below freezing weather often I would not do it. Adding a layer of foam and a cover of 1/8" luan adds some problems around the windows and doors. You will need to frame those out so the foam edge does not show.

Now with that said, if you can sew, I would get some of the bubble wrap that comes in rolls with the foil backing on one side. Get some upholstery fabric you like and sew it over the bubble wrap. You are making a blanket pad. This could be stapled or tacked up with upholstery nails. It's permanent but not really. My first teardrop was very well insulated. But the problem I found was when you roll against a wooden wall, even an insulated one, on a cold night, you WILL wake up. So a fabric barrier in my opinion would solve that problem without much space lost.

This is a cover I put over my cooler to insulate it. It's made just like I would do the walls. This does help keep the ice much longer so I know the insulation of the foil bubble wrap helps.

Woodbutcher
Platinum Donating Member

Postby rowerwet » Sun Apr 12, 2015 5:56 am

Attach deep pile carpet to the walls and ceiling. You will have condensation problems otherwise.
rowerwet
Gold Donating Member

Postby bobhenry » Sun Apr 12, 2015 10:09 am

Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby snowqueen » Mon Apr 13, 2015 10:27 am

Thanks everyone for the much needed advise. After much investigation, I think I am going to go with foam backed headliner. the ceiling does have a headliner but I am not sure what type. I am waiting for them to get back to me. Any suggestions on the foam back headliner? You guys have been so helpful. In my heart I really want to build a tear but as of now I just don't have the time and camping is calling me. Again, all thanks a bunch and keep on camping. barbara
snowqueen
Teardrop Inspector

Return to Essential Information about building teardrops