Cheap(er) Pre-made teardrop doors

Important Information and Stickies...
(Threads with essential information about building teardrops)

Re: Cheap(er) Pre-made teardrop doors

Postby working on it » Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:31 am

earl84 wrote:
IMG_2536.JPG
Hers a poor closeup of the aluminum channel. There's two of these pieces for each door. Each pice is 30-1/4" long, and 1-1/4" wide.
I really need some help on resizing and posting photos. I got so frustrated with what a pain it is that I stopped adding stuff to my build journal.
  • Are you posting pictures using a PC ? If so, try using the Microsoft Paint app, that comes with Windows. I tried using other "free" photo re-sizing apps and websites before I started using MS Paint, and found them not as easy or as capable as the Paint app. I takes a little practice, but as a completely self-taught PC user (my company trained all my assistants extensively, in PC usage, but I was never given the training... go figure!), I finally figured it out, and rely on it for photos and drawings. I'm sure that there are better apps out there, but I remain loyal to MS Paint.
  • When my PC had problems awhile back, I tried my Android tablet for posting, but never was able to resize or post photos...Tapatalk isn't my friend either, failing me everytime, also. Perhaps it's just me, but I see others with wildly mis-sized photos using it, so maybe not. Try MS Paint.
2013 HHRv "squareback/squaredrop", rugged, 4x8 TTT, 2225 lbs
  • *3500 lb Dexter EZ-Lube braked axle, 3000 lb.springs, active-progressive bumpstop suspension
  • *27 x 8.5-14LT AT tires (x 3) *Weight Distribution system for single-beam tongue
  • *100% LED's & GFCI outlets, 3x fans, AM/FM/CD/Aux. *A/C & heat, Optima AGM, inverter & charger(s)
  • *extended-run, on-board, 2500w generator *Coleman dual-fuel stove & lantern, Ikea grill, vintage skillet
  • *zinc/stainless front & side racks *98"L x 6" diameter rod & reel carrier tube on roof
working on it
2000 Club
2000 Club

Cheap(er) Pre-made teardrop doors

Postby mcubberley » Fri Jun 30, 2017 8:37 pm

I am thinking of retrofitting self made doors with a 24x36" squared opening. Do you think I could find something to work with these folks? They would be a reasonable upgrade for me. Otherwise I need to put in some unsee jams to fix my inexperienced work. The doors were much mor finicky then we had planned.

http://www.themodernshopteacher.com
Some day I will figure out something to put here. But for now....
mcubberley
Teardrop Master

Postby mcubberley » Thu Jul 13, 2017 5:34 am

After reading this thread, I took a look at what they are doing over at Challenger Doors. I was impressed so I figured I would ask some questions. I fully intended not to be able to use them, but they were accommodating and responsive. I requested information on the contact form about doors for teardrops and heard mention of the 805. Within hours I got a response about the 805 being the standard door that they sold to teardroppers and quoted $265 for the 26x30 which seems so popular. Not too bad, if one hadn't already tried to cut and make doors. We did ok on my doors but not nearly where they should be. Mine are square, and the 805 are 4.5" radius corners. I was willing to rework my door opening if I had to but thought I would ask. I asked for a square door for an opening 30.125" x 36.25" with mill finish panels and similar fixtures to the 805. The next day I had a quote for $270, $20 packaging, and $65 in UPS. Needless to say, I am now waiting on the final paperwork to place my order. Again I figured I was just going to have to go with stock doors available at the standard sites and make do. I am glad I took the time to talk with them and not be in so much of a rush that I just made sacrifices.

It's going to be a long ten day turnaround time, but I have plenty of skinning to do in the mean time. I found Aluminum 4x8 and 4x10 for $35/$41 per sheet delivered to my door. It's been a good week for surprises, so let's hope the good luck continues as I get to floating this stuff.
Some day I will figure out something to put here. But for now....
mcubberley
Teardrop Master

Postby prider » Thu Jul 20, 2017 8:25 pm

Thanks for the great info! Challenger seems awesome to work with and good pricing.

If I ever get around to building my teardrop, I'll definitely be using them.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
prider
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Wildfire » Tue Aug 01, 2017 3:50 pm

Installed mine last night. Very happy with the inner trim ring, door and rain cap. Made a complex part of the job into a super easy one.

Will use these guys for anything they make.
Wildfire
Teardrop Builder

Postby Esteban » Tue Aug 01, 2017 5:40 pm

I'm interested in Challenger Doors. It may help me, and others, to be able to see all the details from a custom order. Details like what size and model # window did you get included, or what door width and height, (wall thickness) size of trim ring, etc. did you order?
Last edited by Esteban on Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Steve - SLO, CA
Esteban
Donating Member

Challenger teardrop trailer doors

Postby Esteban » Tue Apr 10, 2018 6:34 pm

Challenger Door recently added a web page to make it easier to order teardrop trailer doors:
https://www.challengerdoor.com/teardrop-trailer-doors/
Phone: 1(574)773-0470 from 7am to 4pm EST M-F
[email protected]

Videos that show Challenger's Teardrop Trailer Doors:

Unboxing 26"W x 32"T Challenger 805 series teardrop trailer doors

26"W x 36"T Challenger teardrop trailer door installation

How to measure the rough opening dimensions for a door
Steve - SLO, CA
Esteban
Donating Member

Previous

Return to Essential Information about building teardrops