The right Axle capacity?

Important Information and Stickies...
(Threads with essential information about building teardrops)

The right Axle capacity?

Postby BigRedHiker » Wed Aug 03, 2016 7:09 pm

Finally weighed my camper full loaded including 21 gals of water and everything I take along..came in at a little under 2100 lbs. I have a flexride 2k axle with electric brakes. here is the reasoning behind my logic. Please let me know if im not so smart. First I figured i was overweight till I reasoned that the weight of the tires, rims and brake drums ( unsprung weight) can be deduced from the overall weight. I also wonder if I deduct the 210lbs of tongue weight from overall weight? If so,... that would put me under the axle capacity limit and legal?
Next time I would have perhaps gone with a 3500 lb axle..perhaps detuned it some so Id have 10 " brakes as well...but thats in hindsight as I thought the final build would be lighter.
Still tows great behind my FJ Cruiser.
Teardrop Inspector

Re: The right Axle capacity?

Postby bobhenry » Thu Aug 04, 2016 6:36 am

Having been closely involved with Drawtite I learned that most of the towing equipment capacities are tested to failure and reduced to 1/2 so a 5000 pound hitch assembly failed at 10,000. I am sure axle towing capacity is addressed the same. When you get well into the 3k range you might worry but I think you will be happier with the softer ride tuned into the high end of the smaller capacity axle set. Happy motoring :thumbsup:
Growing older but not up !
9000 Club
9000 Club

Re: The right Axle capacity?

Postby Tomterrific » Thu Aug 04, 2016 11:01 am

Shock absorbers seem like a quality addition to any trailer axle. Since your axle is at capacity shocks would be a nice add on. Just a set of cheap shocks are all that's needed. Look for ease of install in the design of the ends. Put the shock as close to the hub as practical.

The 300 Club

Return to Essential Information about building teardrops