The right Axle capacity?

Important Information and Stickies...
(Threads with essential information about building teardrops)

The right Axle capacity?

Postby BigRedHiker » Wed Aug 03, 2016 7:09 pm

Finally weighed my camper full loaded including 21 gals of water and everything I take along..came in at a little under 2100 lbs. I have a flexride 2k axle with electric brakes.
Ok..so here is the reasoning behind my logic. Please let me know if im not so smart. First I figured i was overweight till I reasoned that the weight of the tires, rims and brake drums ( unsprung weight) can be deduced from the overall weight. I also wonder if I deduct the 210lbs of tongue weight from overall weight? If so,... that would put me under the axle capacity limit and legal?
Next time I would have perhaps gone with a 3500 lb axle..perhaps detuned it some so Id have 10 " brakes as well...but thats in hindsight as I thought the final build would be lighter.
Still tows great behind my FJ Cruiser.
BigRedHiker
Teardrop Inspector

Re: The right Axle capacity?

Postby bobhenry » Thu Aug 04, 2016 6:36 am

Having been closely involved with Drawtite I learned that most of the towing equipment capacities are tested to failure and reduced to 1/2 so a 5000 pound hitch assembly failed at 10,000. I am sure axle towing capacity is addressed the same. When you get well into the 3k range you might worry but I think you will be happier with the softer ride tuned into the high end of the smaller capacity axle set. Happy motoring :thumbsup:
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Re: The right Axle capacity?

Postby Tomterrific » Thu Aug 04, 2016 11:01 am

Shock absorbers seem like a quality addition to any trailer axle. Since your axle is at capacity shocks would be a nice add on. Just a set of cheap shocks are all that's needed. Look for ease of install in the design of the ends. Put the shock as close to the hub as practical.

T
Tomterrific
500 Club

Return to Essential Information about building teardrops