Problems Installing Doors!

Important Information and Stickies...
(Threads with essential information about building teardrops)

Problems Installing Doors!

Postby artquixotic » Thu Aug 04, 2016 11:45 am

I'm trying to install my doors at this very moment, but I'm having an issue. I ordered the doors spaced at 2" for my 2" thick walls. I paid Vintage Technologies extra for that. But aren't the rings supposed to overlap? I'm obviously a noob. If I'm not doing something wrong, I'm going to have to find another way to close this gap - it looks pretty bad with the door in place. I'm hoping there's an easy solution or VT just sent the wrong size rings (standard is 1.5", I think).

Thanks! Your advice will help me proceed today!
Attachments
trailer_door_gap.jpg
trailer_door_gap.jpg (116.18 KiB) Viewed 5379 times
artquixotic
Teardrop Advisor

Re: Problems Installing Doors!

Postby artquixotic » Thu Aug 04, 2016 11:46 am

Maybe 2" meant it would come exactly to 2" if pulled nice and tight, and I was supposed to order larger if I wanted overlap? Should I just use fiberglass Bondo to close it up?
artquixotic
Teardrop Advisor

Postby artquixotic » Thu Aug 04, 2016 12:00 pm

...I guess I should find out what kind of plastic these are before I start trying anything.

There goes my productivity on this project for the day :NC
artquixotic
Teardrop Advisor

Postby artquixotic » Thu Aug 04, 2016 12:13 pm

Oh, and they're aluminum - not plastic. I'm screwed. Plus I found a post where someone said Vintage Technologies often sends the wrong rings. If someone can confirm this is my issue, I'll call them and complain.
artquixotic
Teardrop Advisor

Postby yrock87 » Thu Aug 04, 2016 2:33 pm

I would just call Vintage. I have spoken to them on the phone before and they are very quick to answer questions, provide some advice and work with you on their products. they know their market, so they provide good service.
The SJ Cruiser, my 5x10 Benroy build http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=64944
yrock87
Teardrop Master

Postby tony.latham » Thu Aug 04, 2016 8:08 pm

I've installed three sets of those doors. Call Vintage up and ask them!

My brain has been to the dump (literally) with three loads today. So I'm, or my dumb brain, is having a struggle with your photos and what's going on. I take it that if you squeeze the finish bezel to the door–-or down to 2"-- it's got about an 1/8" gap, right?

If that's the case, I'd install them and fill that gap with some black caulk. Or have my wife do it so it doesn't come out mess. But call Vintage.

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby Tomterrific » Fri Aug 05, 2016 8:08 am

Another fix that may work for you is to cover the edge of the wall with thin aluminum sheet and place the bezels over that for a clean look.

T
Tomterrific
500 Club

Postby artquixotic » Fri Aug 05, 2016 8:51 am

Thanks, both of you. I think it will interrupt my build to wait for new rings to arrive, so I'm thinking I'll try a fix like Tomterrific suggested. With a nice, clean and structural fix like that and some paint, it should look fine. It'll just take extra time.
artquixotic
Teardrop Advisor

Return to Essential Information about building teardrops