First build: Insulation decision and wiring question

Important Information and Stickies...
(Threads with essential information about building teardrops)

First build: Insulation decision and wiring question

Postby meedgar » Sun Aug 07, 2016 11:03 am

Need a little insulation critique and wiring advice.

I live in the Carolinas so camping weather is never too extreme here. Summer you camp in mountains/Winter camp at the beach. Spring and Fall take your pick.

This has led me to decide to not insulate the walls but to insulate the floor and roof. Seems from many posts using 3/4 inch birch plywood is good for the walls without insulation. Insulating the floor and ceiling allow for some noise dampening and some temperature control. Plus the cavities will be there anyway and might as well insulate. I feel more comfortable having the walls anchored into a built up floor.

Other advantages is time savings and looks like the door will be easier to install and save money since I don't have to buy doors or build doors. This will allow me to invest more into my cabinetry etc. I thing the savings of not framing and buying extra plywood are going to be flush since I will be buying nicer wood for the single wall. .

What Im I missing with this decision?

The wiring questions. Do you run your wiring through the ceiling since you don't have cavities in the wall? I am planning on having two reading lamps, dome lamp and 2 porch lights. Do you mount reading lights to ceiling? Run porch switch to interior cabinet? Do you buy porch light and reading light that have power switch attached?

Thanks for the help. Sawdust will be coming soon.
meedgar
Teardrop Inspector

Re: First build: Insulation decision and wiring question

Postby lrrowe » Sun Aug 07, 2016 11:13 am

If I had the same expectations of where I would camp such as you do, I still would insulate. The reasons that quickly come to mind are that you never know when you will change your mind and go outside of your current plans. By insulating you will be prepared. And I believe the insulation will also help with condensation issues. And using foam panelized in the trailers also helps with sound dampening and structure fitness (i.e., more rigid) if glued into place.

You do not say if you are looking at a TD or a CT. But either way, I think my thinking on is valid in either case.
Bob

First Post on Purchase of Trailer: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=60722
Hot water infloor and radiator heating project:[url]http://www.tnttt.com/posting.php?mode=reply&f=54&t=62327[/

Image Image
lrrowe
Donating Member

Postby tony.latham » Sun Aug 07, 2016 11:27 am

My first teardrop was a factory built 4 x10 with solid plywood walls. It seemed that no matter how much ventilation we had during the night, we always ended up with condensation on the walls. Never on the insulated ceiling. No more with our sandwiched-walled 5 x 10.

Insulation in the floor? Assuming you're building a somewhat standard teardrop and not a standy or a cargo-trailer conversion --if you need floor insulation, your mattress isn't thick enough! (We use 5" of high density foam and a 2" memory foam topper. It's deluxe.)

And yes, wiring in the ceiling works fine.

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby S. Heisley » Sun Aug 07, 2016 7:26 pm

Go the extra step and put in a switch for the porch light inside the cabin. If you hear a noise outside, you don't want to have to open a door to turn on the light switch and come face-to-face with a bear...or frighten a skunk...or....! These units are so small that you can put the switch on the ceiling, right by the door and it won't be a problem; so, you can still run your wires in the ceiling without any hassle.
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Return to Essential Information about building teardrops