Propane

Important Information and Stickies...
(Threads with essential information about building teardrops)

Propane

Postby kdbstlrfan » Fri Aug 19, 2016 8:53 pm

I want to mount a propane tank on the front of my TD and run a line to the back where the stove/oven will be. Has anyone done this? If so, what did you use to run the line to the back? Where did you run the line? Thanks in advance for your help.
kdbstlrfan
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Propane

Postby Redneck Teepee » Sat Aug 20, 2016 12:57 am

Use 1/2" black pipe, hold it as tight as you can to the bottom of the frame, flex to your tank and stove off the ends. :D
I fear the day that technology will surpass our human interaction, the world will have a generation of idiot's.
Redneck Teepee
Silver Donating Member

Postby kdbstlrfan » Sat Aug 20, 2016 8:56 am

That is what I was thinking but was not sure if there was an easier or less expensive way. Thanks for the assist!!
kdbstlrfan
Teardrop Inspector

Postby dmdc411 » Sat Aug 20, 2016 12:13 pm

I agree with black iron, but it's hard to get exact lengths to work and I don't have the tools to cut and thread pipe anymore. How about soft copper? Flaring tool is relatively cheap. It's easy, and could run black pipe at the ends to the flexible connection.
dmdc411
Teardrop Master

Postby greygoos » Sat Aug 20, 2016 12:50 pm

Home D will cut and thread any size pipe for you. When I built food service trailers we ran black pipe for most of the way and adapted to copper tubing to finish. We also ran the pipe inside the trailers, pretty was not an option. I know people do it but be aware that running the gas line under the trailer it is exposed and wide open to debris and corrosion. I personally would never use a 5 gallon tank on a small trailer. The trailer is rocking and rolling down the road and fittings come loose.
Attachments
truck explosion.jpg
truck explosion.jpg (101.28 KiB) Viewed 7657 times
greygoos
Silver Donating Member

Postby Redneck Teepee » Sat Aug 20, 2016 4:14 pm

greygoos wrote:Home D will cut and thread any size pipe for you. When I built food service trailers we ran black pipe for most of the way and adapted to copper tubing to finish. We also ran the pipe inside the trailers, pretty was not an option. I know people do it but be aware that running the gas line under the trailer it is exposed and wide open to debris and corrosion. I personally would never use a 5 gallon tank on a small trailer. The trailer is rocking and rolling down the road and fittings come loose.

Debris big enough to destroy a 1/2" schedule 40 pipe has probably already destroyed your trailer, corrosion? if you plan on living and using your trailer a couple hundred years...maybe.
I fear the day that technology will surpass our human interaction, the world will have a generation of idiot's.
Redneck Teepee
Silver Donating Member

Postby Gladtobehere » Mon Aug 22, 2016 7:47 am

I would use a 5 lb propane tank at the rear and use a flex hose to connect just like the backyard bbq. Perhaps put a water tank on the front and plumb the water.
Gladtobehere
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Shadow Catcher » Mon Aug 22, 2016 8:32 pm

Our tear came with 1/2 black iron and they dropped it below the axle (just waiting to catch a rock). I redid it with 1/2" ductile copper, flexible and easier to run. I do a periodic leak check on all of the joint. and fittings.
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Postby KCStudly » Thu Sep 15, 2016 12:49 pm

I would not use copper for gas line on a moveable flexing vehicle. Copper tubing, although dead soft and flexible, will work harden and become brittle with repeated vibration/flexing.

Take a look at noseoil's Tuscon Tortoise build. He did a very nice installation using black iron pipe, all well thought out with debris guards, proper anchors, flex hose connections at either end, and more.
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby GuitarPhotog » Thu Sep 15, 2016 1:57 pm

I would suggest that you put the regulator at the tank end of what ever kind of pipe you use. Otherwise you have a pipe full of high-pressure propane to vent every time you need to remove the tank or the regulator. I find that even the 6ft high-pressure hose between the tank and my Coleman stove holds more propane than I'm comfortable wasting.

<Chas>
:beer:
GuitarPhotog
Silver Donating Member

Postby Padilen » Thu Sep 15, 2016 7:20 pm

Every trailer I've torn down has had copper. Copper from tank to regulator. (Some had black rubber hoses) Copper from regulator to ...Some- not all, have had a length of black iron under trailer. Some ran through frame cross rails. Black then back to copper. A copper tee or larger connector then all copper. None had multiple runs off black, no tees just one straight piece to copper fitting. If and when I get to propane I'm thinking of hoses with quick connects

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Padilen
Donating Member

Postby MtnDon » Thu Sep 15, 2016 8:29 pm

We owned a 1983 GMC Class C RV for 2 decades; factory equipped with copper lines from the built in ASME propane tank to all appliances. I never did have any problems or leaks. All connections used flared fittings. Similarly some folks worry about using solid core electrical wiring. All the 120 VAC wiring in that Class C was Romexsolid. The only electrical issues had nothing to do with the wires themselves.
Our 6x12 deep vee nose cargo trailer camper conversion... viewtopic.php?f=42&t=58336

We have a small off grid cabin we built ourselves in the NM mountains; small PV solar system; 624 watts PV, Outback CC & inverter/charger ... http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=2335.0
MtnDon
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby caseydog » Sat Oct 01, 2016 12:34 am

Propane is heavier than air, while natural gas is lighter than air. So, it seems to me that you would want your propane lines under your camper, and not inside your camper -- as much as possible.

Polyethylene propane lines are approved for use underground, where corrosion is a huge problem. Polyethylene tubing is also very flexible. I have not researched Polyethylene tubing for camper use, because I've never had a reason to. But, you might want to research it. It may or may not be the answer, but it can't hurt to check it out.

CD
caseydog
Platinum Donating Member

Return to Essential Information about building teardrops