Inside height of a TD?

Important Information and Stickies...
(Threads with essential information about building teardrops)

Inside height of a TD?

Postby Dan242 » Mon Jan 23, 2017 12:42 am

Got my 5 x 8 foundation 90% done, walls are almost done in my head, Just not sure on style of roof and how high, but shooting for lowest practical inside height.
My question is regarding headroom, I'm trying to make the overall height as low as possible without feeling too cramped. Do you feel there is a big difference in having a 4'4" ceiling vs a 4'6" or even 4'8" I can't stand in either, but sometimes an inch can feel a lot more
This is a real basic box with a V nose and door on back. Small drop out cooking area on side wall, couple of lights and fans and windows,
Dan242
Teardrop Master

Re: Inside height of a TD?

Postby swoody126 » Mon Jan 23, 2017 9:52 am

even though i haven't ever built/owned a TD or TTT i have been hanging out here for a while and have come up w/ a few Q's that when answered might be able to give you an idea about your target'd interior height

a TD or TTT is a hard sided tent

one that remains erect at all tymes

one that follows obediently wherever you go in your TV

one that provides an off the ground sleeping platform

one that provides respite in inclimate weather

one that can be designed to additionally carry along a plethora of conveniences

& the fine tuned list goes on...

given the above information i think SPECS FOR BUYING A TENT would be along the line of answering your OP's Q

¿ do you and your intended gear fit lengthwise and widthwise ?

¿ can you prop up & read comfortably ?

¿ can you sit up fully on top of your made bed to pull your shirt over your head ?

¿ can you lift your legs n feet enough to pull your pants on easily ?

¿ can you roll over on your bed and get up fully on your hands n knees to move about as in entering and exiting comfortably ?

¿ is any of the above mentioned monkey motion impaired by interior conveniences/appendages ?

¿ have i muddied the waters sufficiently ?

sw
"we are the people our parents warned us about" jb
swoody126
500 Club

Postby Dan242 » Mon Jan 23, 2017 10:52 am

¿ can you sit up fully on top of your made bed to pull your shirt over your head ?
That one is helpful, I will measure that and have a much better Idea, the rest I have already considered. Thanks!
Dan242
Teardrop Master

Postby tony.latham » Mon Jan 23, 2017 12:39 pm

is a big difference in having a 4'4" ceiling vs a 4'6" or even 4'8"

Obviously a traditional teardrop has doors on both sides (and the walls are 4' tall). I find our teardrop, with it's 46" height (that includes a 7" mattress in it) to be perfect. I have no idea what I'd do with a 52" ceiling and it would require buying special plywood or stretching it out. And then there's the sheathing issue. Aluminum? FRP?

But if you are putting a door in the back, where you have to crawl in, that's a different matter that you'll have to figure out. It's east to open a side door, sit on the edge of the mattress, take your shoes off and then swing inside. And the same thing for the exit.

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby Dan242 » Mon Jan 23, 2017 12:55 pm

Thanks, Not worried about getting in the back door, we've mocked it up. Wife doesn't like doors on the side, makes her nervous, so at end. I actually welded on an extension, so we will have a 14" porch on the end, The rear door will be 48.5" that way I can use the TD to haul plywood sheets or sheet rock. dual purpose. Depending on my roof, it will stick out a bit also, so a covered porch maybe
Good to hear experience with a 46" ceiling, I was originally thinking 4' wide. when i mocked it up, quickly went to 5' wide....
harder to mock up walls and ceiling. I have several ideas for getting over 48", just harder and heavier the higher I go. I think i will go as high as easily fits under my garage door, which is around 53", I will re measure
Dan242
Teardrop Master

Postby KennethW » Mon Jan 23, 2017 6:19 pm

If you plan on towing longer distant. The higher you go the more gas you will use. I find 46" almost to tall. Any taller would make it hard to adjust the roof fan with out getting on your knees. One of the great thing about a teardrop is everything is within reach by just sitting up. Have your wife sit in a teardrop if you can find a dealer. The side door, the sit and spin works great ever for us older folks.
I am almost never on my knees in the teardrop. Heads up, Put your light switches where you can reach them lying down.
KennethW
1000 Club
1000 Club

Return to Essential Information about building teardrops