Questions Questions Questions. Help me build my Camper!

Important Information and Stickies...
(Threads with essential information about building teardrops)

Questions Questions Questions. Help me build my Camper!

Postby Peacester » Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:57 am

Howdy everyone! New to the forum! So I'm planning on selling my current "camper" trailer and making my own. The reason for the quotes is that its a utility trailer with a Roof Top Tent and I wanted something better for colder weather. I've been designing a box type teardrop (easy of cutting and MPG isn't my #1 priority) and have come across a few questions and decided I'd post them in one post instead of multiple.

First how did you all frame your walls? I initially was using 2x4's on my design and realized that the Vent I was using would only attach to a 2" roof! So I'm guessing y'all use 1x2's, is that right?

Second what kind of plywood did y'all use? and did you decide 1/2 or 3/4 on the outer walls?

Finally, and I'm going to look this one up still as unlike the others I haven't yet. How did you hook up your propane? I'm thinking I want to store the propane at the front of the trailer but have a line go to the kitchen and attach to a camp grill (I have a huge one and a small one, which one I choose will depend on how it looks when finished)
Peacester
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Questions Questions Questions. Help me build my Camper!

Postby tony.latham » Wed Jun 28, 2017 12:00 pm

Iv'e written this at least a dozen times on this forum: Get a copy of Steve Fredrick's 269 page Teardrop Shop Manual. I've built three, and even on the third 'drop I consulted it. (and no, I'm not associated with him)

http://www.campingclassics.com/shopman05.html

It's a PDF download he'll give you a link to.

To answer your plywood question, I use 1/8 Baltic Birch on the ceiling and roof. My walls (now) are 1/4" subfloor, 3/4" AC for the skeleton, and 1/4" subfloor. The subfloor stuff is much higher quality than 1/4" AC and a bit cheaper.

That should get your mind going. (and 2x4's are gross overkill)

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Re: Questions Questions Questions. Help me build my Camper!

Postby HMK » Tue Jul 11, 2017 11:01 am

This should get you started. Welcome to the forum

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=12276

Getting Started

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=19442

Wall Attachment
HMK
Teardrop Master

Return to Essential Information about building teardrops