Any legislation yet on Teardrops

Important Information and Stickies...
(Threads with essential information about building teardrops)

Any legislation yet on Teardrops

Postby findingcoolwater » Fri Mar 09, 2018 4:28 am

I understand HUD has proposed a bill that if passed will attack the RV community essentially (taxation/restrictions) about living full time in an RV or tiny housing. Its my guess Teardrops may some day soon show up on a bill for classification into the RV world or is that just a fat chance.

Anybody else knows the fate of Teardrops, living short or full time ?
findingcoolwater
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Any legislation yet on Teardrops

Postby halfdome, Danny » Sun Mar 11, 2018 12:55 am

In Washington state, and maybe in other states, a teardrop is not an RV simply because it has no bathroom, I see no need to worry.
:D Danny
ImageImage
"Conditions are never just right. People who delay action until all factors are favorable do nothing". William Feather
Don't accept "It's Good Enough" build to the best of your abilities.
Teardroppers Of Oregon & WashingtonImage
halfdome, Danny
*Happy Camper

Postby jondbar628 » Sun Mar 11, 2018 7:34 pm

This sounds like one of those persistent internet rumors. HUD has no innate interest in RV's or any other campers. Although I guess they could if you're talking about a restricted RV community financed by federal lending institutions, since then you're dealing with equal rights, etc. I can't imagine you can get an FHA or VA loan for an RV. I think this one was put out by the same people who've been waiting for those infamous black helicopters to appear on the horizon for the last 30 years :shock: .......jd
jondbar628
Teardrop Master

Postby Bikerman » Mon Apr 09, 2018 11:01 am

Actually black helicopters are somewhat involved, consider Homeland Security or any law enforcement agency trying to locate some nomadic hippie living "mobile" off the grid deep in some remote area. :o

HUD has had minimum housing requirements for decades, at issue now is how to adapt existing administrative law toward the growing trend of "homeless" travelers who can move freely without any oversight or administrative compliance. :twisted:

I was a Commissioner of a Large Public Housing Authority (LPHA) and I'm familiar with the housing issues as well as the the homeless population, it all boils down to money and security. :thinking:

There are about a two and a half million people running around unaccounted for ( a low estimate). There is a huge range of domestic issues arising from an unclassified population, mental heath, drugs, general criminal activity, allocation of funding for and within communities, an endless list..... :shock:

BTW, it's not just the RV community, these concerns also hit at the "liveaboard" boating bunch, small "yachts" will not be compliant dwellings, the bathroom doesn't really matter, it's the space requirements and the fact that they are so mobile. :cry:

And yes, the tax man is always behind you :x

Application of administrative law; I doubt the retired couple on a three month vacation in their $350,000 motorhome has anything to worry about, it's the rather economically deprived looking guy in his $350.00 trailer/camper staying too long that would be rousted. :thumbdown:

This issue has been around for several years, I'm not sure what the current status is, but big brother will always try to take of you, even if it kills you. :wine:
Bikerman
Teardrop Advisor

Postby tony.latham » Mon Apr 09, 2018 11:57 am

This sounds like one of those persistent internet rumors...

I concur.

http://www.rvia.org/?ESID=preleases&PRID=1738&SR=1

And no, I won't be placarding that it's for recreational use in my galley.

T
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Return to Essential Information about building teardrops