Attaching exterior skins

Important Information and Stickies...
(Threads with essential information about building teardrops)

Attaching exterior skins

Postby DoctahDeane » Mon Nov 18, 2019 9:43 am

Hi folks - have had a project on hold for a loooong time but back to it now. My brother-in-laws ask me about status everytime they come over and I got sick of making excuses :D . Anyway. I have the platform all done and profiles (sides) cut and will now move to cut out voids and insulate. I always wondered how I would then glue/attach the exterior skins if the sides were actually connected to the platform with spars in place. Pipe clamps come to mind but you'd need a bunch, they are expensive and would mostly work on the edges, only. Then I thought, "hey, what about a cordless nail gun with brads and glue?" Seems like that would be OK, especially since the exterior will end up being coated. Do y'all think this will work out ok?
I keep stimulants handy in case I see a snake, which I also keep handy. W.C.Fields
DoctahDeane
Lifetime member

Re: Attaching exterior skins

Postby tony.latham » Mon Nov 18, 2019 10:26 am

I always wondered how I would then glue/attach the exterior skins if the sides were actually connected to the platform with spars in place.

The walls should be as close to finished while on the bench as possible. Including the interior finish. Certainly the interior/exterior plywood sheathing.

But to answer your question, I "clamp" the exterior skin down with lots of miscellaneous weights --buckets of waters, bricks, batteries, etc. --along with a 1/4" crown stapler.

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby Patrio » Mon Nov 18, 2019 4:22 pm

I have used construction adhesive and a brad nailer to affix 1/4" ply to 2x2 frames.

So far, I'm satisfied with that method. My panels seem very tight.

Caveat: I don't have my build assembled yet and am not close to getting it on the road.

I am new at this.

YMMV.
Patrio
Teardrop Builder

Postby DoctahDeane » Tue Nov 19, 2019 7:11 am

tony.latham wrote:
I always wondered how I would then glue/attach the exterior skins if the sides were actually connected to the platform with spars in place.

The walls should be as close to finished while on the bench as possible. Including the interior finish. Certainly the interior/exterior plywood sheathing.

But to answer your question, I "clamp" the exterior skin down with lots of miscellaneous weights --buckets of waters, bricks, batteries, etc. --along with a 1/4" crown stapler.

Tony

Thanks Tony, that helps and the photos are much appreciated. Makes sense. You can read something 100 times but seeing the approach really works, especially with that rear galley wall in place.
I keep stimulants handy in case I see a snake, which I also keep handy. W.C.Fields
DoctahDeane
Lifetime member

Return to Essential Information about building teardrops