New trailer build

Lets captures all those good off road construction ideas here...

Moderator: Sonetpro

Re: New trailer build

Postby SCwood » Fri Aug 26, 2016 12:52 pm

SCwood wrote:
Camp4Life wrote:
SCwood wrote:
SilverJKU wrote:
SCwood wrote:Like your build! One question though - isn't that silver connector supposed to come off the window trim ring when you install it? Asking because I just got what look to be the same windows in the other day for my build.

I actually have no idea. My windows came with no instructions and that little silver piece looks like it holds the trim ring together. Anybody have clarification on if this should be removed?

It definitely holds the ring together, but I thought maybe that was just for shipping/fitting purposes so it doesn't bend out of shape. I mean if the trim ring is black, why would it have a permanent silver connector? And it's not that thin either. It seems like it'd make the ring sit off the wall about 1/16". My windows didn't come with instructions either, so in the interest of science I pried the connector off one of my trim rings tonight. I put down some painters tape to try and protect it but you can see that the screwdriver still marred the ring a little. And the connector had already made its mark, too. I'm thinking with a little paint and some sanding I might be able to get it back to an acceptable place and be able to leave the connector off. With 20 or so screws around the trim ring to hold it in place what does the connector really add?

I recall my dad's 1988 RV having those silver things on all the windows. He bought it like that and never removed them. I was young and never questioned it(didn't know any better), but they were definitely there. Might be better to leave them and paint them flat black? :thinking:

Yeah, black paint may be the way to go, but now that I'm invested I think it's worth a shot at trying to go connector-less! I'll give it a try and report back.

The report: I started by placing some scrap steel on either side of the indentations made from crimping the connector to the trim ring and clamped that down in my vise to flatten the indentations out. After that was a little sanding and paint and the trim ring came out like this. You could probably get it even smoother with some filler, but if you don't know what you're looking for the marks are barely noticeable from a foot or so away. /end thread hijack

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SCwood
Teardrop Advisor

Postby SilverJKU » Sat Dec 03, 2016 5:57 pm

It's been far too long since I posted any updates so here's a few. I decided to try my hand at building my own multi-axis coupler seeing that I just plain don't have the $325CDN to buy a MaxCoupler right now. I started with some old control arms I had laying around and used those for the vertical and horizontal pivots for the hitch. Poly bushings provide too soft on the vertical end so I had my younger brother machine me up a solid aluminum bushing and used some UHMW plastic I had leftover from a skid plate and made a top and bottom washer for things to pivot on. The aluminum bushings works perfectly and keeps the bolt straight up and down instead of moving 20* of so that the poly bushing did. The rotational point is comprised of a 1" bolt that pivots at one end and welded to the other. Took it out for a little test and seems to work fine but no pics of it in action as of yet.

SilverJKU
Teardrop Builder

Postby SilverJKU » Sat Dec 03, 2016 6:02 pm

The new coupler worked out perfectly and the trailer and Jeep are still level!! Also got the spare tire mount bolted on which made it handle better with a little more tongue weight.

I also finally finished up the bolt-on hitch that I have been working on so we can put our bike rack in if we decide to take the Jeep and trailer to go mountain biking instead of the truck and trailer. The small holes on either side of the hitch will each have a KC Cyclone LED light attached to them for back up lights once spring hits. It's too damn cold out to do any soldering right now.

SilverJKU
Teardrop Builder

Postby bbrider » Sun Dec 04, 2016 1:08 pm

I thought about adding the rear hitch as well. My problem is it would be in front of our door so whatever I put in it would have to be removed to use the door. Not that big a deal, but still something to deal with. Since our jeep doesn't have much storage room and the wee-go is very limited on inside storage I may add it just for extra storage when we take the long Alaska trip. I still want to add a roof rack too. Thanks for sharing your build pictures. :applause:
Naw Bro, We ain't lost. We just ain't never been here before!

Wee-Go build journal:
viewtopic.php?f=50&t=66964
bbrider
Teardrop Master

Postby SilverJKU » Sun Dec 04, 2016 1:32 pm

bbrider wrote:I thought about adding the rear hitch as well. My problem is it would be in front of our door so whatever I put in it would have to be removed to use the door. Not that big a deal, but still something to deal with. Since our jeep doesn't have much storage room and the wee-go is very limited on inside storage I may add it just for extra storage when we take the long Alaska trip. I still want to add a roof rack too. Thanks for sharing your build pictures. :applause:

Thanks for looking! I just had a quick look through your build thread and I see how the hitch could be a problem with that rear door. I guess you could do some type of swing-out style mount back there depending on what you need to carry. You could have a pivot on the drivers side and then pin it in place in the middle for when you're travelling. Just some quick thoughts. :thumbsup:
SilverJKU
Teardrop Builder

Postby bbrider » Sun Dec 04, 2016 4:41 pm

SilverJKU wrote:
bbrider wrote:I thought about adding the rear hitch as well. My problem is it would be in front of our door so whatever I put in it would have to be removed to use the door. Not that big a deal, but still something to deal with. Since our jeep doesn't have much storage room and the wee-go is very limited on inside storage I may add it just for extra storage when we take the long Alaska trip. I still want to add a roof rack too. Thanks for sharing your build pictures. :applause:

Thanks for looking! I just had a quick look through your build thread and I see how the hitch could be a problem with that rear door. I guess you could do some type of swing-out style mount back there depending on what you need to carry. You could have a pivot on the drivers side and then pin it in place in the middle for when you're travelling. Just some quick thoughts. :thumbsup:

I kind of like the pivot idea...food for thought. Thanks.
Naw Bro, We ain't lost. We just ain't never been here before!

Wee-Go build journal:
viewtopic.php?f=50&t=66964
bbrider
Teardrop Master

Postby flip » Thu Apr 13, 2017 9:35 am

Hey, a little late to the build, but I've been following along. Question for you.

You used the door trim along the top of your aluminum on the wall, correct? Wouldn't that have produced a bit of a gap behind the aluminum then? Do most people finish off the top w/ trim?

Lastly... how'd you mount the side aluminum?

In the beginning stages of our build and there's just so many little things to think about!
flip
Teardrop Inspector

Postby working on it » Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:20 am

SilverJKU wrote:It's been far too long since I posted any updates so here's a few. I decided to try my hand at building my own multi-axis coupler seeing that I just plain don't have the $325CDN to buy a MaxCoupler right now. I started with some old control arms I had laying around and used those for the vertical and horizontal pivots for the hitch. Poly bushings provide too soft on the vertical end so I had my younger brother machine me up a solid aluminum bushing and used some UHMW plastic I had leftover from a skid plate and made a top and bottom washer for things to pivot on. The aluminum bushings works perfectly and keeps the bolt straight up and down instead of moving 20* of so that the poly bushing did. The rotational point is comprised of a 1" bolt that pivots at one end and welded to the other. Took it out for a little test and seems to work fine but no pics of it in action as of yet.

• I'm also arriving late to your build. Nice work! Your MaxCoupler clone/substitute looks really well done.Do you have measurements, and perhaps more photos to share, as I have two unused brand new adjustable control arms, just sitting in the trunk of my Chevelle (along with new springs I never installed, when I abruptly quit racing), and I might want to try my hand at making my own coupler.
  • control arms.PNG
    control arms.PNG (170.22 KiB) Viewed 5237 times
    UMI adjustable upper control arms ('68-'72) for my Chevelle (with a '68 12-bolt axle, 4.88 gears)
  • I would have to make some mods to the arm, of course, but perhaps it would be do-able, and cheap, since I already have the basic parts on hand (I think I have some UHMW bushings, which I made for my ladder bars. Lots of parts, and a race-car just sitting, what a waste...might as well re-purpose.
2013 HHRv "squareback/squaredrop", rugged, 4x8 TTT, 2225 lbs
  • *3500 lb Dexter EZ-Lube braked axle, 3000 lb.springs, active-progressive bumpstop suspension
  • *27 x 8.5-14LT AT tires (x 3) *Weight Distribution system for single-beam tongue
  • *100% LED's & GFCI outlets, 3x fans, AM/FM/CD/Aux. *A/C & heat, Optima AGM, inverter & charger(s)
  • *extended-run, on-board, 2500w generator *Coleman dual-fuel stove & lantern, Ikea grill, vintage skillet
  • *zinc/stainless front & side racks *98"L x 6" diameter rod & reel carrier tube on roof
working on it
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Dave Nathanson » Thu Apr 13, 2017 1:51 pm

For design ideas also look at Lock N Roll hitches. I have one, it is great. You'll need a trailer half and a vehicle half to make a set.

https://locknroll.com/shop-now/trailer- ... er-tongue/

https://locknroll.com/shop-now/vehicle- ... ler-hitch/

Dave Nathanson
Donating Member

Previous

Return to Offroad Construction Secrets