Budget Off Road Trailer

Lets captures all those good off road construction ideas here...

Moderator: Sonetpro

Budget Off Road Trailer

Postby not4wrk » Wed Aug 02, 2006 8:19 pm

Hi to all. I've been planning & looking at Tear drops for over a year now & things are finally coming together. Got my trailer a few days ago (for free) cleaned it up, flipped the axle to under the leaf springs for more ground clearance. I have looking at the weekender & the desert dawg for ideas. I think mine will be a comb of both with afew ideas of my own. Will keep everyone up to date on progress & lots of pictures (for Madjack). :D The sawdust starts this weekend. :hammer:
not4wrk
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Sonetpro » Wed Aug 02, 2006 8:29 pm

not4wrk
Welcome to the forum. Now that's the way to start this new section.
A newbie starting a offroad in a few days. Looks like you got a good frame to start with.
}><)))'> ~--------------·´¯) SteveT
You don't know what the limit's are until you take it there.ImageImageImage
Sonetpro
Site Admin

Postby PaulC » Wed Aug 02, 2006 8:43 pm

Welcome to the madness not4wrk. Good looking chassis. That looks like it has a drop axle fitted so I would be careful with using it as the pic seems to show with it fitted under the springs. Having the drop in the down position versus the up will tend to exert more leverage on your suspension. Maybe the engineering people can shed more light on it.

Cheers
Paul :thumbsup:
Time is the only real capital we have. Money you can replace but time you cannot.
PaulC
3rd Teardrop Club

Postby jagular7 » Wed Aug 02, 2006 8:52 pm

Good start on the framing. A-frame will add lots of structure to that front. But still using a ball mount? How about those outriggers below the frame. I though they would be even or on top. But alas, I guess it'll depend on if you will have a belly trunk or not.

Not sure, but I would be leary of turning a drop axle over to gain height. Most straight axles can have above or below leaf mounts. But the straight axle will have a bow in it. The bow is for the settling of the weight on the trailer. When you flip the bow is no longer geometrically correct. I'm pretty sure any length axle is the same in a trailer configuration.

Ever seen a flat bed tractor trailer, especially the aluminum frames. They bow up and will settle down with weight. Same principle.
Mike
Jagular
Lenexa, KS
jagular7
The 300 Club

Postby Nitetimes » Wed Aug 02, 2006 11:34 pm

Yep, what they /\ /\ /\ said, that axle is not designed to be used in that position. You will break it in short order. Drop axles really shouldn't be used for offroad apps, they won't take the abuse you can put them thru in the rough stuff. That axle is made to lower the trailer not raise it.
Rich

ImageImage
-
The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to
keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves
against tyranny in government.
- Thomas Jefferson -
Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take a butt kickin'.
Nitetimes
7000 Club
7000 Club

Postby PaulC » Thu Aug 03, 2006 5:14 am

With an offroad trailer, I always recommend an axle that is rated at twice the weight of your Trailer. I have a 3000lb rated trailer on mine, connected to 2000 lb rated springs. Better overkill rather than broken down in the scrub.
Cheers
Time is the only real capital we have. Money you can replace but time you cannot.
PaulC
3rd Teardrop Club

Budget off road trailer

Postby not4wrk » Sat Aug 05, 2006 10:55 am

Well the trailer is now history & the whole project is being scarped thanks to all the negitive feedback, back to tent campimg.
not4wrk
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Budget off road trailer

Postby madjack » Sat Aug 05, 2006 2:20 pm

not4wrk wrote:Well the trailer is now history & the whole project is being scarped thanks to all the negitive feedback, back to tent campimg.

...I hope you really don't feel as you sound...the feedback wasn't negative, it was constructive and offered with your saftey and comfort in mind...the frame is a good one and a spring hung axle to go with it is a relatively inexpensive investment. WEALLHOPE you wil continue on with your build....
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Re: Budget off road trailer

Postby Miriam C. » Sat Aug 05, 2006 2:32 pm

madjack wrote:
not4wrk wrote:Well the trailer is now history & the whole project is being scarped thanks to all the negitive feedback, back to tent campimg.

...I hope you really don't feel as you sound...the feedback wasn't negative, it was constructive and offered with your saftey and comfort in mind...the frame is a good one and a spring hung axle to go with it is a relatively inexpensive investment. WEALLHOPE you wil continue on with your build....
madjack 8)

:thumbsup: Ditto. I was looking forward to watching this come to life.

Some suggestions: check out the junk, uh salvage yards for a stronger axle.

What type of off roading are you doing? I take my Nissan Sentra in some rather rough places.

Change can be fun. Think of it as learning.
Aunti M
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby Juneaudave » Sat Aug 05, 2006 3:30 pm

I agree with MJ and Auntie M....you are off to a good start. Shucks...I've been fussing with a trailer for months, and most recently had some input on my welding capabilities (all of which were true but hard to swallow!!!). I'm trying to take that advice and make my Tear-2-B as good as I can do it. I do admire your creativeness, willingness to do it yourself, and hope you continue.
Juneaudave
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Postby PaulC » Sat Aug 05, 2006 7:05 pm

not4wrk, One of the things I discovered when planning my build was this forum. I spent many hours lurking and researching before diving in and asking questions. Some of the feedback was contrary to what I was thinking and I ignored it. I am happy with the end result and you can be too, if you think that trailer will work, and I can see no reason why it would not.
I hope you reconsider and come back on board. There is nothing quite like being out bush in a TD.
Cheers
PaulC
3rd Teardrop Club

Postby not4wrk » Sat Aug 05, 2006 7:53 pm

Trailer went to the junk yard yesterday. Tent here I come.
not4wrk
Teardrop Inspector

Postby PaulC » Sat Aug 05, 2006 8:02 pm

not4wrk wrote:Trailer went to the junk yard yesterday. Tent here I come.

Looks like you've made a choice. Sorry to see you go :(

Cheers
PaulC
3rd Teardrop Club

sometimes for the best

Postby jay » Sun Aug 06, 2006 5:41 am

"... a man has to know his limits..."

Dirty Harry
jay
Donating Member

Postby PresTx82 » Sun Aug 06, 2006 3:39 pm

Image Image

I couldn't resist.
Mark