Towing a tiny travel trailer with a lifted vehicle?

Lets captures all those good off road construction ideas here...

Moderator: Sonetpro

Towing a tiny travel trailer with a lifted vehicle?

Postby brian_nj2006 » Fri Aug 04, 2006 10:33 pm

I am curently building my trailer with off road ability in mind (read as a little over built :D. I am also planning to lift one of my tow rigs a 2003 Chevrolet s10 crew cab pickup. I am gpoing for a 6" lift and 33" tires on the truck. The truck curently tows a 3500 lb popup great and a 5600 lb boat with no problem. The question is will the lift greatly effect the towing ability of the truck?
Facta Non Verba
brian_nj2006
Teardrop Inspector

Postby jagular7 » Fri Aug 04, 2006 11:13 pm

Only thing I've been told is the torque arm. The push/pull comes from the frame to the frame mount to the coupling to the ball to the tongue coupler. COG of the pulling truck vs COG of the trailer. However, I also think the weight is a big deal to add to the mix.
So basically, even though your going 6" of vehicle lift and another in tire difference, you want the tongue of the trailer to have a slight down attitude. Tongue high presents a balance problem. With a tongue even or down, you have better pull.

One thing to plan into your frame design is to triangulate the tongue of the trailer and have it secured 2 crossmembers deep. Triangulation and securing to 2 crossmembers provides force sharing in the shallow front frame section. (Never mind, saw your album....)

Congrads on joining.
Mike
Jagular
Lenexa, KS
jagular7
The 300 Club

Re: Towing a tiny travel trailer with a lifted vehicle?

Postby Endo » Sat Aug 05, 2006 5:34 am

brian_nj2006 wrote: The question is will the lift greatly effect the towing ability of the truck?

The lift will have little effect on the towing ability, but the increased tire diameter/increased weight will have an effect on the performance of your truck. A larger tire in effect changes your gear ratio. A larger tire will decrease your engine RPM at any given speed. So you may not be at the optimum RPM for maximum horsepower/torque production of your engine.

If you change your ring and pinions after the lift installation this will correct the problem.

With that said, I have a 6 inch lift and 35 inch tires. I have not changed my ring and pinion yet and I can tow my trailer without too much trouble. But.....A gear change is definitely planned.

I also agree with jagular7, the trailer should be set up in the proper position in relation to the tow vehicle. I don't take my trailer offroad. So I just used a drop hitch (with a very strong bumper/hitch).

Brad (aka Endo)
ImageImage Image
In God We Trust
Endo
500 Club

Postby angib » Sat Aug 05, 2006 4:39 pm

If you want to make the towing easier, it would make sense for the trailer to have the same sort of ground clearance as the tow vehicle.

This gets a bit tricky where axles are hanging a long way below the body, as in Endo's photo, but the basic idea is to make sure that whatever airflow is passing under the truck can also pass under the trailer.

Having a low trailer that provides an 'air dam' effect does increase drag.

Andrew
angib
5000 Club
5000 Club

Postby Sonetpro » Sat Aug 05, 2006 4:49 pm

I built mine with the same clearance as the Jeep. I have 33" tires and 235x70's on the tear. Good thing about it is no drop hitch. I had one tear up a bumper once.
}><)))'> ~--------------·´¯) SteveT
You don't know what the limit's are until you take it there.ImageImageImage
Sonetpro
Site Admin

Postby Nitetimes » Sat Aug 05, 2006 10:34 pm

jagular7 wrote:
you want the tongue of the trailer to have a slight down attitude. Tongue high presents a balance problem. With a tongue even or down, you have better pull.

Just the opposite, you never want the tongue low it lets the tail end of he trailer wag. The best is level or an inch or two high in the tongue when loaded.
Rich

ImageImage
-
The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to
keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves
against tyranny in government.
- Thomas Jefferson -
Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take a butt kickin'.
Nitetimes
7000 Club
7000 Club

Postby jagular7 » Sun Aug 06, 2006 12:12 am

Nitetimes wrote:
jagular7 wrote:
you want the tongue of the trailer to have a slight down attitude. Tongue high presents a balance problem. With a tongue even or down, you have better pull.

Just the opposite, you never want the tongue low it lets the tail end of he trailer wag. The best is level or an inch or two high in the tongue when loaded.

I've towed several different trailers in my time, different lengths, with various weights, and all bumper pulls (no 5th wheel styles). Some weighed in more than 4 tons....the lower the COG the better. The better balance of a tongue with the weight (10-12% at best), the better. The level of the tongue with the trailer, the better. My comment on having the tongue down is respect to the overall height of the trailer. No, not to have the nose 10* down. However, with weight on the tongue, I'd prefer a low tongue than a high tongue. If we're talking about 1-2", then that's nothing, but all this also depends on the tow vehicle, GVW and driver driving habits.
Mike
Jagular
Lenexa, KS
jagular7
The 300 Club

Postby Gerdo » Sat Aug 26, 2006 4:51 pm

One truck that I drive for work is a Ford F550. Stock it sits pretty high. I wouldn't doubt it is as high as your S10 w the lift. It tows with a "bumper hitch" and about an 8" drop. The trailer is about #16,000. You can't feel it back there. My TD tow vehicle is a 2000 4Runner with 2" of lift and 31" tires. I towed my TD when it was stock and now lifted, no noticeable differance. You will get more tire squirm with taller tires/bigger sidwalls. I doubt the weight of a teardrop will effect your proposed lifted truck.
Gerdo
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby igofshn » Sun Oct 01, 2006 11:36 am

35's on the Jeep and 31's on the trailer.
igofshn
Teardrop Builder

Return to Offroad Construction Secrets