Gas shocks for the Galley Lid

Lets captures all those good off road construction ideas here...

Moderator: Sonetpro

Gas shocks for the Galley Lid

Postby Dave Nathanson » Wed Aug 30, 2006 2:17 am

I just want to point out that a stick to hold up the Galley lid may be just fine for those who camp only in windless summer weather. But for those of us who camp in places where is may get windy at any time - we need something better.

Imagine this:
You open your galley lid, prop it open with a stick, and lean over to get a cold drink from the ice chest in the galley. Just then a sudden gust of wind from behind you blows the galley lid farther open, the stick drops, and the full weight & leverage of that galley lid comes crashing down on your back. Not a pleasant thought. No, not at all.

That's one reason that you want gas shocks there. The other reason is that it makes the galley lid a whole lot easier to open, even for smaller, shorter people. And people who spend too much time in front of the computer instead of at the gym.

The gas shocks we used are the same ones that are for a full size pickup truck's fiberglass bed cover. Longer than we thought we'd need, and way stronger than we thought we'd need. Took 2 or 3 sets back to the Napa store before settling on the ones off the truck.

It was sort of tricky figuring where to mount then so they can fully extend, yet compress and get out of the way. 3 sets of screw holes attest to that. But we are so glad to have those gas shocks!
Dave Nathanson
Donating Member

Postby asianflava » Wed Aug 30, 2006 3:27 am

I am all for gas springs for the hatch. It was a struggle for me to get them installed but they are well worth it. Now I can feel better when my wife opens the hatch.

The only problem I have is that due to the design of the hatch, headroom is a bit limited. Due to the galley design I am limited on spring positions. I just beed about 3 more inches. What I plan on doing is removing a little of the hatch lip. At the very least it will remove some sharp corners.
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby AmyH » Wed Aug 30, 2006 11:40 am

Dave, can you tell us more about which ones specifically you ended up getting? I would love to know.
Amy
"...follow humbly whereever and to whatever abyss Nature leads, or else you shall learn nothing." T.H. Huxley

Photo Log
Camping Trips with the Tear
AmyH
*The 300 Club

Postby Dave Nathanson » Wed Aug 30, 2006 12:53 pm

I don't remember which exact gas shocks we ended up using, except to say that they are the exact ones that would be a replacement for a full size pick up truck bed cover. I just measured, and they are about 16" closed, and 28" open. That's end to end over all length. Because they Galley lid wasn't opening tall enough, we had to make a 3" bracket that drops down from the lib to mount the top end of the gas shock to.

Asianflava, you might want to consider something like that drop bracket as well. Or maybe invent a system with 2 gas shocks per side that can telescope longer, while still being shorter when closed. It will take some experimenting.

Dave Nathanson
Donating Member

Postby CaBowhunter » Thu Oct 16, 2008 11:03 pm

I bought mine from Mcmaster Carr http://www.mcmaster.com go to page 1167 hope this helps.

Randy
CaBowhunter
Teardrop Inspector

Postby halfdome, Danny » Fri Oct 17, 2008 11:23 am

Just a friendly note to those that think they can get away with not installing gas struts.

The wife of one of our teardrop couple friends told us that she stays in bed long enough so her husband will get up first so she doesn't have to lift that heavy galley hatch. I gave them the information and hopefully they now have gas struts installed and she can get up when she feels like it. Who knows he might get breakfast in bed ;) .
:D Danny
ImageImage
"Conditions are never just right. People who delay action until all factors are favorable do nothing". William Feather
Don't accept "It's Good Enough" build to the best of your abilities.
Teardroppers Of Oregon & WashingtonImage
halfdome, Danny
*Happy Camper

Postby looped » Fri Oct 17, 2008 12:33 pm

Dave Nathanson wrote:I don't remember which exact gas shocks we ended up using, except to say that they are the exact ones that would be a replacement for a full size pick up truck bed cover. I just measured, and they are about 16" closed, and 28" open. That's end to end over all length. Because they Galley lid wasn't opening tall enough, we had to make a 3" bracket that drops down from the lib to mount the top end of the gas shock to.

Asianflava, you might want to consider something like that drop bracket as well. Or maybe invent a system with 2 gas shocks per side that can telescope longer, while still being shorter when closed. It will take some experimenting.

how heavy is your galley lid? when sticking out level to the ground how heavy is it at the lift handle?

can be determined with a stick of appropriate length and a scale set minus the weight of the stick.
"face it man. It's just not possible to fry an egg with a bicycle powered hairdryer!"
- Dave Lister
looped
The 300 Club

Postby cuyeda » Fri Oct 17, 2008 12:39 pm

Not that I have direct experience with installations. Someone mentioned in another thread to figure out the installation before you skin the hatch. This way you can reach inside and make any mounting adjustments. Makes sense to me.
Why just dance, when you can Salsa!
Cliff & Vanessa
cuyeda
Platinum Donating Member

Postby 01Sport » Fri Oct 17, 2008 1:33 pm

cuyeda wrote:Not that I have direct experience with installations. Someone mentioned in another thread to figure out the installation before you skin the hatch. This way you can reach inside and make any mounting adjustments. Makes sense to me.

That is what I plan on doing, once I get my hinge. I may hang some weights on it to account for the lack of AL, trim, ply, etc. to make sure it works.
K.C.

Teardrop Name: Golden State Teardrop
01Sport
Teardrop Master

Postby Russ in California » Fri Oct 17, 2008 1:44 pm

Dave Nathanson wrote:I don't remember which exact gas shocks we ended up using, except to say that they are the exact ones that would be a replacement for a full size pick up truck bed cover. I just measured, and they are about 16" closed, and 28" open. That's end to end over all length.

One more thing to think about would be the LBS the gas shock will support.
Some of those galley lids might weigh quite a bit more than a canopy door. :cry:
It's possible to get a shock too stiff and rip out the mounting after a bit. JMTC
8)
12V Purist
**K.I.S.S. is my Motto, Murphy's my Guide**
"I'm a man but I can change if I have to, I guess."
Possum Lodge Prayer
Russ in California
Teardrop Master

Return to Offroad Construction Secrets