The ultimate Off-Road suspension!

Lets captures all those good off road construction ideas here...

Moderator: Sonetpro

Postby meach4x4 » Wed Sep 23, 2009 5:11 pm

ntsqd wrote:... My TrailBlazer has this type of axle under it. It also has significant mileage on Baja's washboards, and a trip to Copper Canyon under it's belt (before my custodianship of the trailer). It has not had a failure of this (or any) type. The sole difference that I can see is that the man who built it's substantial replacement frame added dampers in the form of Rancho RS9000's. I'm not all that fond of Rancho shocks, but I see no reason to change something that is working.

Thom,

Very interesting and informative. I am interested in how your TrailBlazer has the shocks mounted to the trailing arm. (Pictures???) I have been trying to figure out how to add shocks to my torflex axle, for the same reason you have stated. I figure if I can get my torflex on my Wells Cargo to last as long as your Trailblazer, I'll consider it a success.

Thanks!

Gil
meach4x4
Teardrop Master

Postby ntsqd » Wed Sep 23, 2009 8:13 pm

This is the only picture that I have at the moment of the shock mounting. They are just a pair of shock tabs welded to the rear of the trailing arm and a square tube welded to the frame tube that stick s up into the fenderwell.
thom

Where does that road go?
ntsqd
Teardrop Builder

Postby meach4x4 » Wed Sep 23, 2009 9:40 pm

ntsqd wrote:This is the only picture that I have at the moment of the shock mounting. They are just a pair of shock tabs welded to the rear of the trailing arm and a square tube welded to the frame tube that stick s up into the fenderwell.

Thanks, Thom. This is all I needed to see so that I can duplicate the shock attachment to the trailing arm. :thumbsup:

Also, I was looking at this and came up with an idea for the backup in case the rubber breaks loose:

Measure the distance at full droop (trailer on jack stands) from the bottom shock mount bolt to a good spot on the frame where you can attach a limit strap. You can buy limit straps in lengths from 1 foot to over 3 foot long. Then, you just put one end of the strap on the shock bolt and the other to the frame. I will probably weld a could of tabs on the inside of the crossmember to attach the top of the limiting straps.

When I get the work done, I'll take pictures. Until then, you can find "Beard limit straps" on ebay for $26 and up.

Gil
meach4x4
Teardrop Master

Postby ntsqd » Thu Sep 24, 2009 1:35 pm

What I was thinking to do was a short steel strap across the end of the trailing arm where it pivots. Set it on spacers so that it's close, but not in contact during normal operation.
thom

Where does that road go?
ntsqd
Teardrop Builder

Previous

Return to Offroad Construction Secrets