on-offroad coupler

Lets captures all those good off road construction ideas here...

Moderator: Sonetpro

on-offroad coupler

Postby Bill_Storey » Mon Jan 29, 2007 5:40 pm

Check out this universal style on-offroad coupler.
Bill_Storey
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Gerdo » Mon Jan 29, 2007 7:31 pm

They sell a commercialy made one like that. I don't know who makes it tho.
Gerdo
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Leon » Mon Jan 29, 2007 8:22 pm

I built a small version of that a few years back for towing with a motorcycle. Had to have something that would allow me to lean the bike real heavy.
Leon
Silver Donating Member

Postby PaulC » Mon Jan 29, 2007 10:49 pm

HAH, That's what I use. :R Read it and weep, they're made right here in little old Adelaide 8)
Time is the only real capital we have. Money you can replace but time you cannot.
PaulC
3rd Teardrop Club

Postby asianflava » Tue Jan 30, 2007 12:22 am

This is pretty much the same thing, but based out of Chicago.

http://www.locknroll.com/
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby Gage » Tue Jan 30, 2007 1:21 am

That's the kind of setup Dave Nathanson has on his tow & tear. He says he's had no problems with the hitch, only his trailer tongue. :o

Image Image Image
Remember 'Teardrop Time'.......Take your time, you don't have to have it finished NOW.
Gage
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby Bill_Storey » Tue Jan 30, 2007 9:47 am

The one I posted about is home made. Just trying to show an option for those of us who poor boy it, for whatever reason.
Bill_Storey
Teardrop Advisor

Postby PaulC » Tue Jan 30, 2007 3:48 pm

No rating on home made therefore no insurance :(

Cheers
Paul :thumbsup:
Time is the only real capital we have. Money you can replace but time you cannot.
PaulC
3rd Teardrop Club

Postby Gerdo » Wed Jan 31, 2007 3:02 pm

LockNRoll That was the one I was thinking of.
Gerdo
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Cruiser » Fri Feb 02, 2007 9:44 pm

Those are neat couplers,, the lock and roll one I assume is dot approved? I really like the pintle and luenette hitch on my m416. It swivels and pivots very nice. Also the eye can be put in the low or high position. I'll get a pic up soon. I think I've found a complete luenette from a canadian m101 to use for my tear build. I had most of the metal but figured out it was too HD to tow around. I should have the frame done soon.
Steve
Cruiser
Teardrop Advisor

Postby mizedog » Sat Apr 07, 2007 5:05 pm

Mario, owner of Adventure Trailers told me a story of some female sufers using the Australian hitch on one of his trailers way down south in Baja Mexico. The trailer ended up at least on its side after an emergency evasive move. The important thing was that the tow vehicle stayed upright saving the girls from any injury. Trailer was repaired (they are REALLY tough).
mizedog
Teardrop Inspector

Postby system-f » Sun Apr 29, 2007 10:33 pm

Here are some pics of the coupler I made for my offroad utility trailer before the trailer box was finished.

The pins on the hitch were welded tight and the clips removed for safety. This mount provides no isolation between trailer and tow vehicle.

Image[/quote]

system-f
Teardrop Inspector

Postby PaulC » Mon Apr 30, 2007 1:46 am

system-f wrote:Here are some pics of the coupler I made for my offroad utility trailer before the trailer box was finished.

The pins on the hitch were welded tight and the clips removed for safety. This mount provides no isolation between trailer and tow vehicle.

Image[/quote]

No disrespect to your engineering abilities but I would sooner trust a rated hitch than a bodged up hitch. It would be interesting to see what your insurance company thinks of it, also.
Cheers
PaulC
3rd Teardrop Club

Postby system-f » Mon Apr 30, 2007 5:36 pm

I find it very disrespectful when people make comments about something someone has created on pictures (not to mention crappy pictures taken in the dark) alone rather than asking more questions like, how thick is the steel, how good are your welding skills, what is the strength of the center bolt.
Think about your response and how I might be a little butt-hurt. Did you ask about chains? I could have (and do) have chains that bypass this hitch just in case. This is a normal occurrence on most bulletin boards and is rather disheartening.
This hitch has been thoroughly tested beyond the limits of most 'rated' hitches with no failure or signs of stress.
system-f
Teardrop Inspector

Postby PaulC » Mon Apr 30, 2007 5:50 pm

system-f wrote:I find it very disrespectful when people make comments about something someone has created on pictures (not to mention crappy pictures taken in the dark) alone rather than asking more questions like, how thick is the steel, how good are your welding skills, what is the strength of the center bolt.
Think about your response and how I might be a little butt-hurt. Did you ask about chains? I could have (and do) have chains that bypass this hitch just in case. This is a normal occurrence on most bulletin boards and is rather disheartening.
This hitch has been thoroughly tested beyond the limits of most 'rated' hitches with no failure or signs of stress.

Systemf, Don't take offence at my appraisal of your hitch. Thickness of steel and welding skills will not pass an inspection by any Insurance Assessor in the event of an accident. The only way to get full cover, and peace of mind, is to use a certified towing hitch. I'd hate to see you, or anyone else, be put in the position of trying to justify your skills in a court of law.
Cheers
PS By the way, a name would be nice
PaulC
3rd Teardrop Club

Next

Return to Offroad Construction Secrets