External finishes

Lets captures all those good off road construction ideas here...

Moderator: Sonetpro

Postby doug hodder » Sun Feb 11, 2007 11:44 pm

I'm with you Rocky, I'll bet it goes on heavy and is slow to cure...another option might be to shoot Zolatone...gives you a good scratch resistant finish, speckled, almost Camo if you want, they have lots of colors, hides a lot, that's why they used to use it on the interior of trunks on cars...but to do it right needs a special gun, at least it did 10 years ago, ...Doug
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby Geron » Mon Feb 12, 2007 5:19 am

brian_bp wrote:I agree, the horizontal thing is not an absolute for floors. Depends on the guy who built it, and how much of a bubble off level is okay... some of us are about half a bubble off.

Guess I"m borderline OCD (Obsessive Compulsive) I can't tolerate the bubble even touching a line. Probably wasted a lot of time messin' with a level.

But I feel i'm hijacking this thread. We need to decide on the Epoxy. I'd like to use it also. Picked it up several time and pondered (OCD?) Why don't we just sit a board up vertical and paint it. See what happens. Or maybe Call Behr? We??? We who?

Geron
If it's not broken, you're not trying hard enough.
Geron
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby War Eagle » Mon Feb 12, 2007 8:31 am

It is very thick and is self leveling. If you were to apply it over brushed (rough) concrete you could make it a smooth surface. I've never used it but I have two neighbors that have and that's what they told me. and you have to stay off it for two or three days to let it dry properly.

Maybe if you wanted to use it on your sides only you could paint them before install.
War Eagle
Teardrop Master

Postby davis131 » Thu Jul 12, 2007 9:12 pm

I used this polymax board on mine for the roof,it comes in different thickness's however i never found a glue that would work on it so I used rubber washered screws ,it turned out http://www.farmtek.com/farm/supplies/Pr ... ctId=58779
davis131
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Endo » Thu Jul 12, 2007 9:34 pm

davis131 wrote:I used this polymax board on mine for the roof,it comes in different thickness's however i never found a glue that would work on it so I used rubber washered screws ,it turned out http://www.farmtek.com/farm/supplies/Pr ... ctId=58779

Did you order it from FarmTek? Was shipping reasonable? Or did you find it locally.
Brad (aka Endo)
ImageImage Image
In God We Trust
Endo
500 Club

Postby davis131 » Sat Jul 14, 2007 7:36 am

Yea Endo,I ordered directly from FARMTEK,and they were great to deal with.Shipping if I can remember,was reasonable.I ordered 2 -5 x 10 sheets of the thin stuff and it came rolled wrapped in plastic .The only problem was even after sanding one side glue won't stick.Farmtek did a courtesy call and I asked about glue and they basically said no glue will work. It's been awhile since I've been on this board[other projects].My weekender I built never really turned out the way I hoped,so I'm about ready to tear it down and start again,but I'll be using this stuff again for the roof.
davis131
Teardrop Inspector

Postby M. Olsen » Tue Jul 17, 2007 1:59 am

mikeschn wrote:I just bought a gallon of this stuff...

I'm going to test it, starting perhaps this weekend, and if it works well, I might coat my next teardrop with it.

Mike...

I have this paint on my current teardrop and I have no complaints. Just use a roller and put the stuff on. Don't get crazy with thick coats, let it dry inbetween applications and you should be happy with the results.
Mike Olsen - Rexburg, ID :^)
M. Olsen
Teardrop Master

Hey Steve

Postby Jeeper92 » Tue Jul 17, 2007 1:52 pm

Where are you from? Where do you whell? It looks like some really nice terrain. Im going to build my trailer for that reason a well, but it wont be a true off road trailer, ill drop it at the camp site then hit the hills. Got any pics of your off road adventures?
Jeeper92
500 Club

Re: Hey Steve

Postby Steve F » Tue Jul 17, 2007 10:22 pm

Jeeper92 wrote:Where are you from? Where do you whell? It looks like some really nice terrain. Im going to build my trailer for that reason a well, but it wont be a true off road trailer, ill drop it at the camp site then hit the hills. Got any pics of your off road adventures?

I'm from Sydney Australia, here's a few pics, some old some new.

Cheers
Steve

Steve F
The 300 Club

wow

Postby Jeeper92 » Thu Jul 19, 2007 1:31 pm

those are some nice pics, wish we had that kinda off roading out here in pa
Jeeper92
500 Club

Postby ninerhb » Fri Jul 27, 2007 2:47 am

Has anyone used the two-part epoxy finishes for garage floors on their teardrop? I'm considering it, since I got a few that the local Meijer had on 75% off clearance and I cleared them out. It'd be nice to have the fancy garage floor, but if this will waterproof/protect the outside of the tear, I'd rather do that!

I'd probably only flake the inside floor though. That'd be an interesting look on the outside...

Henry
ninerhb
Teardrop Inspector

Postby jeepr » Fri Aug 24, 2007 7:21 pm

I would think aluminum skin would be the most durable. If it's a genuine off road trailer, some backwoods pinstriping (branch scratches) would look good on it. If I was going to paint it, probably automotive enamel would be nice and hard. Maybe some roll-on truck bedliner?

I know my Jeep is getting some nice pinstriping.. :whistle:
Mike C.
jeepr
The 300 Club

Postby jamesm » Sun Sep 16, 2007 2:20 pm

mikeschn wrote:I just bought a gallon of this stuff...

I'm going to test it, starting perhaps this weekend, and if it works well, I might coat my next teardrop with it.

Mike...

So how did the expoxy turn out? I have some of this stuff and was going to use it for my tear. I did a test on osb with it. I primed 1/2 the osb test panel and then put two coats on it. I also put the epoxy on the osb with no primer. I put water on the wood to make a puddle on both test areas. The water did not penetrate at all. I let the water on for three days.

But I would like to know if anyone has actually used the epoxy and had it in the sun. Did it stand up to the UVs?
jamesm
Teardrop Master

Postby highlandercj-7 » Mon Sep 17, 2007 8:02 am

Looks to me like we need to load em up and take a trip to Aussie to wheel! :thumbsup: That's one country I always wanted to visit but havn't had the pleasure of doing so yet.
highlandercj-7
Teardrop Inspector

How is the trailer?

Postby tmfournier » Thu Sep 20, 2007 5:52 pm

Hi Steve, I have been using the program you are using and it is pretty simple. I am getting ready to finalize my trailer using the 3D image. I really like the camper you are making keep the pics rolling.

J.E.E.P...Just Empty Every Pocket...very true.
tmfournier
Teardrop Inspector

PreviousNext

Return to Offroad Construction Secrets