External finishes

Lets captures all those good off road construction ideas here...

Moderator: Sonetpro

Postby mikeschn » Thu Sep 20, 2007 7:14 pm

Good question. I never did test it. It's still sitting there, just like you see in the picture. :cry: :oops:

Mike...

jamesm wrote:So how did the epoxy turn out? I have some of this stuff and was going to use it for my tear. I did a test on osb with it. I primed 1/2 the osb test panel and then put two coats on it. I also put the epoxy on the osb with no primer. I put water on the wood to make a puddle on both test areas. The water did not penetrate at all. I let the water on for three days.

But I would like to know if anyone has actually used the epoxy and had it in the sun. Did it stand up to the UVs?
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby jamesm » Sat Sep 22, 2007 1:41 pm

mikeschn wrote:Good question. I never did test it. It's still sitting there, just like you see in the picture. :cry: :oops:

Mike...

jamesm wrote:So how did the epoxy turn out? I have some of this stuff and was going to use it for my tear. I did a test on osb with it. I primed 1/2 the osb test panel and then put two coats on it. I also put the epoxy on the osb with no primer. I put water on the wood to make a puddle on both test areas. The water did not penetrate at all. I let the water on for three days.

But I would like to know if anyone has actually used the epoxy and had it in the sun. Did it stand up to the UVs?

Funny...I think I will paint a piece of luan and let it sit in the yard and have the weather and sprinklers have at it to see how it holds up.
jamesm
Teardrop Master

Postby jml79 » Mon Sep 24, 2007 7:30 am

I would be seriously worried about it's ability to withstand UV, epoxies have a tendancy to breakdown unless mixed with some UV stabilizers and even then they still can break down. I wonder if anyone has tried boat paint, 2 part poly-urethane.
jml79
Teardrop Builder

Postby jamesm » Mon Sep 24, 2007 6:38 pm

jml79 wrote:I would be seriously worried about it's ability to withstand UV, epoxies have a tendancy to breakdown unless mixed with some UV stabilizers and even then they still can break down. I wonder if anyone has tried boat paint, 2 part poly-urethane.

The can says it is for interior and exterior use. So I would think it has some UV stabilizers in it.....key words "I would think"
jamesm
Teardrop Master

well.......

Postby Jeeper92 » Mon Sep 24, 2007 9:35 pm

Well im applying this same exact stuff this weekend so ill let you guys know how it works. I bought three cans , each can covers 300 to 500 feet, so im gonna use all three and really put in on thick to seal this sucker up. I already sealed the playwood this past weekend. I need to start looking for diamond plating, any suggestions where to look? i want it to match the jeep.
Jeeper92
500 Club

Re: well.......

Postby jamesm » Mon Sep 24, 2007 11:13 pm

Jeeper92 wrote:Well im applying this same exact stuff this weekend so ill let you guys know how it works. I bought three cans , each can covers 300 to 500 feet, so im gonna use all three and really put in on thick to seal this sucker up. I already sealed the playwood this past weekend. I need to start looking for diamond plating, any suggestions where to look? i want it to match the jeep.

Jeepster are you applying it to plywood or luan? I am thinking of applying it to luan. Are you going to use it for the roof also? What did you seal the plywood with?

Thanks,
James
jamesm
Teardrop Master

Postby Tx River Rat » Thu Nov 29, 2007 8:24 pm

Hi all
I build wooden kayaks and epoxy will go south after a while from UV use a good spar varnish after you epoxy it .
Ron
Tx River Rat
2nd Teardrop Club

Postby madjack » Thu Nov 29, 2007 10:04 pm

...look at any epoxy manufacturers site and they will tell yo quick that epoxy IS NOT UV STABLE...a spar varnish/urethane, top side paint or auto paint is needed to provide uv stabilization..........
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby S. Heisley » Wed Jan 09, 2008 5:24 pm

Hi, All:
I used a two part epoxy made for cement floors on my garage floor. I found out the hard way that, if moisture gets under it, it starts lifting and peeling off. When I called the epoxy company to find out what I could do, they said the only thing to do was to remove it all. Further, the only way to remove it was to sand it off with a commercial sander.

==> If you get a leak and it trickles through to wet the wood portions of a trailer, she'll probably peel and look nasty, just like my cement floor.

How's my garage floor? Well, I've got more time than brains so I didn't bother with a sander. Whenever a little more lifts or peels, I chip it off with a putty knife. I'm still chippin'.

==> Maybe cement treatments are best left for cement...with a moisture barrier underneath.

Keep up the good work. I'm gleaning a lot from the threads of this forum. I can't add much but I'll add a little when I have knowledge that I think might help someone.
...Sharon (-:
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

this

Postby BaerClaw » Thu Mar 13, 2008 8:44 pm

this stuff looks good i think i will try this stuff or deck paint on my build this spring!

http://www.westernwooddoctor.com/manowar.htm
BaerClaw
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Lou Park » Sun Mar 16, 2008 6:33 am

brian_bp wrote:I think the no-vertical constraint is pretty straightforward - it will probably run before it dries. Floor are inherently horizontal...

Could it be because the epoxy paint is self leveling?
Lou
Lou Park
The 300 Club

Postby Steve F » Thu Mar 27, 2008 6:43 pm

I ended up painting with a two part epoxy paint, after a few coats I have a plastic like seal over the wood, the first coat or two was thick and soaked into the wood. It's a boat product designed for immersion but is not UV resistant. On top of this I'm painting with an epoxy enamel designed for steel, its White Knight Rustguard. You can use it over wood that has been treated or primed and it has a hard wearing finish with UV protection etc etc it should be tough it's meant to stop rusty steel getting worse!! Pics this afternoon.

Cheers
Steve
Steve F
The 300 Club

Postby Steve F » Fri Mar 28, 2008 12:32 am

More pics in my build thread here http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?t=15620&start=195

But this is what it looks like after one coat.

Cheers
Steve
Steve F
The 300 Club

Postby COMP » Thu Jul 10, 2008 1:11 am

looks good :thumbsup:
COMP
Teardrop Builder

Boat product

Postby greekspeedoman » Sat Jul 12, 2008 10:33 am

Steve, What brand of boat epoxy did you use for your undercoat?
greekspeedoman
Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Offroad Construction Secrets